Commercial Prawn Opening.

Murry

I was wondering if anybody has heard if DFO is going to delay the commercial opening for prawns like they did last year?
It was great for us last year, we saw great fishing right through mid June and the size was even better.

Just was wondering if anybody has heard anything.

I was wondering if anybody has heard if DFO is going to delay the commercial opening for prawns like they did last year?
It was great for us last year, we saw great fishing right through mid June and the size was even better.

Just was wondering if anybody has heard anything.
I really doubt it. It was a Covid thing. Markets will be opened up again.

May 26 was a date that I heard but not a lot of the comm fishers were happy with that late of a start. No official announcement yet.

I really doubt it. It was a Covid thing. Markets will be opened up again.
Thought I read not that long ago they had something like 3 million pounds on ice. I wonder if their traditional overseas market would buy any of that given their penchant for fresh?

Thought I read not that long ago they had something like 3 million pounds on ice. I wonder if their traditional overseas market would buy any of that given their penchant for fresh?
That'll all go on Facebook Marketplace for pennies as soon as the season opens lol.

That would pretty much kill the export market which according to the story is 90%. I can see an amendment coming.

The issue that a client told me is that they have to deliver to a licensed processor before heading and freezing in a tub.

Targeted at the Frozen At Sea product.
Still has severe financial impacts on the freezer boats, but there still can be an export market.
Now you have the fisherman lobby going up against the processor lobby.
Bets on who wins?

This was also on Global Morning News today.

Could be a few weeks until the dust settles and they issue and official notice.

Seems to me that there should be a work-around if the issue is size limit. Commercial salmon are frozen at sea (individually of course) and there are measurements for head off built into the regs. The same could be done for spot prawns instead of an outright ban?

They freeze them with salt water in small tubeof like 25.

the only way would be like to sample a random amount of tubs, let them thaw out and than measurer them.

or they could randomly sample and do that at the distributor level but than who’s at fault.

does jimmy own the fresh quota? and boats?

Back