Commercial fisherman blocking Sportsfisherman at the ramp

well put high five, i feel the same about all OUR resources too... that means all of us! commies/sporties/canadians!!!

There was a neat vid posted about Iceland fishing, which showed the sports caught fish being sold to commercial buyers at the end (at least that's what it looked like). Maybe that is the way this fishery should go, kind of like blue fin tuna back east. Guides could still guide, but guests could keep some processed fish and the rest go to market. The rest of us have the chance to cover some expenses. We used to do that out here with salmon too, right. That way those 33,000,000 hungry Canadians would still have plenty to eat. Cuz that's what you're really worried about, right Hook?

Way to go Mr. Lunney. I'll take 5 signs for my lawn next election.

yes I'm glad to see we have at least one politician with enough balls to stand up for the public fishery... great job James.. I am wondering where John Duncan stands? Seems he may have been missed here?????

I think me and my buddies will go up to the local gold mine and demand our share of the gold , and go cut down a truck load of nice Fir and Cedar and build a new home and fill the freezer with a Whale and halibut , because we are entitled. wtf?
we can catch several chinook , coho , halibut ,ling cod , rock cod , prawns , crabs, everyday , almost all year long......how much do we need?
we have it good here and now. try to sport catch a lobster in eastern canada or any other fish in most parts of this world as a sportie and see what happens.
if we get too greedy , may end up with a court ruling and get nothing !!! like most other country's in the world.

I think me and my buddies will go up to the local gold mine and demand our share of the gold , and go cut down a truck load of nice Fir and Cedar and build a new home and fill the freezer with a Whale and halibut , because we are entitled. wtf?
we can catch several chinook , coho , halibut ,ling cod , rock cod , prawns , crabs, everyday , almost all year long......how much do we need?
we have it good here and now. try to sport catch a lobster in eastern canada or any other fish in most parts of this world as a sportie and see what happens.
if we get too greedy , may end up with a court ruling and get nothing !!! like most other country's in the world.

Only reason it is that bad elsewhere is because the commies were left unchecked and unchallenged for too long and then it was too late,

how much do we need?
To answer that. we need as much as we need to ensure that all Canadian needs are met. once conservation, first nations, sport and domestic market needs are met IF there id any left then the commies can have some to export. Not before. It is by putting the export market ahead of the others mentioned that will ensure that we get to just what you described.

You should go wipe your butt with your hook hand.

i just heard about the boat ramp blocking,,and who pays to get these blocks moved,joe tax payer? now i just have no use or any good things to say about these commercial halibut fisherman,except scum bags,,i know that it may just be one or two whom are ruining it for the whole works,,but that's the way it is,,

The gold on my placer claim I pay the government (People of Canada) for. When I'm done, someone else can step up and mine it as well, I wasn't GIVEN it for free, to rent out for years to come. And you know what? You can log into Mineral Titles Online, stake a placer claim (Or hardrock) with the click of a mouse, and mine it, or sit on it, or whatever, but when you don't work it, explore it, or pay your rent on it, it goes right back out there available to anyone else who wants it. Chinook, Coho, and the most of the other fish you mention have not been given away to commercial interests to the detriment of ordinary Canadians. The big problem is a resource was given away, for free, to a select few. Logging? You either own the land, or pay stumpage to the people of Canada. If you want the land, you buy it from the people of Canada.

Name ONE natural resource that was given to private interests for perpetuity? E&N Land Grant? The deal was they had to operate a railroad on Vancouver Island, which they did for a large part of the century. Huge risk, with a huge payout. Homesteaders got a quartersahre for populating Canada, the consideration was to have a population to ensure the stability of the dominion. Go try to grow some corn on public land and see what happens. Oil companies? They pay through the nose, and probably every other oraface for waht they do.

The problem is not commercial/sport interests Captiain, the problem is the slipper skippers got a damn large portion, and a free ride for life, as they collect royalty cheques from the comfort of their home.. The whole idea makes anyone who doesn't own quota sick. Yes, conservation is taken care of by the IPHC, who, overall, have done a STELLAR job of managing the fishery. You won't find a sane fishermen on the coast arguing with their decision to reduce quota due to smaller fish, just look at all the reports of hali this spring, not one post of one over 40 pounds, yes, they are smaller so they set a quota for Canada to take less. It still does NOT change how a resource was stolen from Canadians, and given to a select few.

It does not have to be like the East coast.. I know all about it, it does not have to go that way. Many fishermen make an honest living fishing the above species without having been given a quota that they can profit from for life. The core issue here is something taken from everyone, and given to a select few, is now causing grief for thousands, if not tens of thousands who utilize the resource. There is no sane argument for what happened when the quotas were gifted, it was a terrible mistake, and one, that, unfortuatly, to be corrected would be quite costly..

Last edited by a moderator:

I think someone should do some research.......

try to sport catch a lobster in eastern canada

Exactly........ What do you want??

HAHAHA,,, that post was a joke right????? Need to do some reading and research,,, me thinks.

Capt hook,,,, Tick-Tock, Tick-Tock, Tick-Tock, Tick-Tock,,,, can you hear the Crocodile coming??? Watch out he's coming for you. (a reference from Peter Pan).

Actually, IMO, the slipper skippers are not the problem. Would you complain if someone gave you money for nothing The real problem is the asinine government policies that perpetuate this problem. That policy seems to transcend governments. What happens when the Slipper Skippers die. Does the allocation remain in the estate or does it revert to the crown? Can the allocation be placed in a corporation and remain there for perpetuity?

Actually, IMO, the slipper skippers are not the problem. Would you complain if someone gave you money for nothing The real problem is the asinine government policies that perpetuate this problem. That policy seems to transcend governments. What happens when the Slipper Skippers die. Does the allocation remain in the estate or does it revert to the crown? Can the allocation be placed in a corporation and remain there for perpetuity?

Thanks Theb55. This is also my question!

The quota remains in the estate or corporation in perpetuity and that is part of the problem.

Guys don't even reply to C Hook you just stoop to his level IGNORE the pinhead!

Disagree, all pinheads should be culled with the truth.
GLG

Yup. The Politician Gods smiled brightly on somebody. I certainly buy the argument that a natural resource was given away, probably illegally.

People may not like what I am about to say.

The politicians have built the road and everyone is complaining about the speed limits when in fact it is the road that is illegal. The issue is not the right of DFO to manage the fisheries but a particular ruling along the way which was basically stupid and not in the best interest of Canada. The only real way to make changes will be in a court of law. It will take money and we should begin by hiring competent researchers to look at this issue. Depending, this may take a year or two but this issue is NOT going away. If the research determines irregularies then you need to initiate legal action. I see this princiipal eventually ending in the Supreme Court. We still live on Canada. If Jimmy P wants to drop $100M on this issue so be it. The SCC will rule based on principals ol law.

Man the attitude of the commies makes me angry. Who are these guys to think that they own the resource. :mad:

I'm trying to understand the history behind this issue. Why did the feds every think it was a great idea to give away the quota? What was the rational behind this decision?

Last edited by a moderator:
The gold on my placer claim I pay the government (People of Canada) for. When I'm done, someone else can step up and mine it as well, I wasn't GIVEN it for free, to rent out for years to come. And you know what? You can log into Mineral Titles Online, stake a placer claim (Or hardrock) with the click of a mouse, and mine it, or sit on it, or whatever, but when you don't work it, explore it, or pay your rent on it, it goes right back out there available to anyone else who wants it. Chinook, Coho, and the most of the other fish you mention have not been given away to commercial interests to the detriment of ordinary Canadians. The big problem is a resource was given away, for free, to a select few. Logging? You either own the land, or pay stumpage to the people of Canada. If you want the land, you buy it from the people of Canada.

Name ONE natural resource that was given to private interests for perpetuity? E&N Land Grant? The deal was they had to operate a railroad on Vancouver Island, which they did for a large part of the century. Huge risk, with a huge payout. Homesteaders got a quartersahre for populating Canada, the consideration was to have a population to ensure the stability of the dominion. Go try to grow some corn on public land and see what happens. Oil companies? They pay through the nose, and probably every other oraface for waht they do.

The problem is not commercial/sport interests Captiain, the problem is the slipper skippers got a damn large portion, and a free ride for life, as they collect royalty cheques from the comfort of their home.. The whole idea makes anyone who doesn't own quota sick. Yes, conservation is taken care of by the IPHC, who, overall, have done a STELLAR job of managing the fishery. You won't find a sane fishermen on the coast arguing with their decision to reduce quota due to smaller fish, just look at all the reports of hali this spring, not one post of one over 40 pounds, yes, they are smaller so they set a quota for Canada to take less. It still does NOT change how a resource was stolen from Canadians, and given to a select few.

It does not have to be like the East coast.. I know all about it, it does not have to go that way. Many fishermen make an honest living fishing the above species without having been given a quota that they can profit from for life. The core issue here is something taken from everyone, and given to a select few, is now causing grief for thousands, if not tens of thousands who utilize the resource. There is no sane argument for what happened when the quotas were gifted, it was a terrible mistake, and one, that, unfortuatly, to be corrected would be quite costly..

Nice post LC. This is a part of the issue that I find very offensive. Take away allocation to non active holders and/or put all quota up for bid or lease at market values.

Let's begin to put a defense fund together.

Let's begin to put a defense fund together.

I agree. Lets start a group that will hold fund raising events to build up a fund to start the research needed to prepare for a lawsuit against the DFO's stupid allocation policy. I will volunteer to help do this. The sooner we start the more $ we can raise to take'em to court. It is the ONLY thing they will respond to. You have to fight power with power!

Back