commercial crabbers in Port Renfrew

I referred only to Whole in the waters post----Don't get in a knot about perceived hidden meanings! I'm a white redneck from Alberta and I have my views about First nations /Asians and their actions here on the coast--I have to bite my tongue continually with how they act- That said I was only commenting on Whole in the waters post cause I LIKED IT!
-
What post are you referring to?

I referred only to Whole in the waters post----Don't get in a knot about perceived hidden meanings! I'm a white redneck from Alberta and I have my views about First nations /Asians and their actions here on the coast--I have to bite my tongue continually with how they act- That said I was only commenting on Whole in the waters post cause I LIKED IT!
-

No worries.

Gentlemen, none of this is news. this has been going on for decades. 25 years ago when I lived on Quadra Island, we used to see the Vietnamese come in and decimate the clams on every beach they could access. They would have 10 to 20 diggers and start at one end of the beach and go to the other. They would take every clam they dug up, sell all the legal ones and eat all the small ones. Once the beach was done they would move on to the next beach and just keep ongoing. There was quite a backlash at the time and some vigilantism. There were stories of fights, and slashed tires. The one thing that was well known is that many of the digging crews were actually from Alberta. I remember seeing 3 or 4 vans full of "clam diggers" with Alberta plates.

So it continues, and the ones who are laughuing at all us dumb "whiteys" are those who continue to disregard the laws of the country they want continue to live in. The problem is not with government, the problem is with the political orientation to focus on what "urban Canada" wants. And for the most part, Urban Canada could give a **** about salmon, Halibut, crabs, prawns, rockfish or lingcod. Until enough people get off their collective asses (myself included) and stand up for the curtailing the wanton commercial destruction of our resources, nothing is going to happen.

But be realistic about the chances of that happening. We're not talking about a few thousand or even a hundred thousand voices. You would need millions to express their disgust at this before any politician would even consider taking on a "racially-oriented" issue like this.

Personally, I don't hold a lot of hope for that.

Gentlemen, none of this is news. this has been going on for decades. 25 years ago when I lived on Quadra Island, we used to see the Vietnamese come in and decimate the clams on every beach they could access. They would have 10 to 20 diggers and start at one end of the beach and go to the other. They would take every clam they dug up, sell all the legal ones and eat all the small ones. Once the beach was done they would move on to the next beach and just keep ongoing. There was quite a backlash at the time and some vigilantism. There were stories of fights, and slashed tires. The one thing that was well known is that many of the digging crews were actually from Alberta. I remember seeing 3 or 4 vans full of "clam diggers" with Alberta plates.

So it continues, and the ones who are laughuing at all us dumb "whiteys" are those who continue to disregard the laws of the country they want continue to live in. The problem is not with government, the problem is with the political orientation to focus on what "urban Canada" wants. And for the most part, Urban Canada could give a **** about salmon, Halibut, crabs, prawns, rockfish or lingcod. Until enough people get off their collective asses (myself included) and stand up for the curtailing the wanton commercial destruction of our resources, nothing is going to happen.

But be realistic about the chances of that happening. We're not talking about a few thousand or even a hundred thousand voices. You would need millions to express their disgust at this before any politician would even consider taking on a "racially-oriented" issue like this.

Personally, I don't hold a lot of hope for that.
Still see this all winter at Rebecca spit rice field hats and huge toter garbage cans on wheels

Crabbers

Desperate crabbers have now ventured as far as Bond Sound off Tribune Channel in the Broughtons. They plugged up the head of this deep inlet across the shallows of the estuary which is the only anchorage in this beautiful place leaving no choice but to leave or anchor on top of them. Come on DFO get serious about this industry I know you monitor this site and there is growing anger out there.

same situation in Vancouver, Very tricky to fish the popular spots now.. Mile Markers, Bell Buoy, West Van, T10 are all a challenging obstacle course lately, very tough to avoid them, especially when the tides moving. Saw the same commercial plundering going on in Tofino Last summer but was mostly fishing well offshore so wasn't really effected..

This weekend @ Gabriola, same thing with Ling Cod fishers, off the rocks along Grande, 20 or so on one boat. A charter of types I guess.

Back