Commander 26 Re Build

Well, I have to double dip on the report today.
2nd stringer is cut exactly the same as the first. Removed the second stringer
The old one didn’t have a wedge but was set way above the hull the first 5 feet. There is also a screw glassed into the hull!?!
Cleaned it up pretty good but still some grinding left.17D9D435-0669-49F7-A243-9458E012832E.jpegA3BB4EBF-8B0A-41A8-ABCC-B115D07BD2CE.jpeg9070C1C6-8721-46D6-A15E-6B7174BC067D.jpeg2B70BF00-A426-4D8C-9FC8-AA559982143E.jpegA7E19366-8F23-4F89-9D9B-08C912912F5C.jpeg907DC96F-1D9B-4B81-AA36-0708570CDB40.jpeg8B36D4FC-71BD-4AC6-9CCC-1E747DEADCD8.jpeg32E2CE24-63BC-4625-9BC6-97EF2B00F9EA.jpegE55C52BB-69E0-4708-9A8D-D1C3AF5C16B9.jpeg

Well, I have to double dip on the report today.
2nd stringer is cut exactly the same as the first. Removed the second stringer
The old one didn’t have a wedge but was set way above the hull the first 5 feet. There is also a screw glassed into the hull!?!
Cleaned it up pretty good but still some grinding left.View attachment 78507View attachment 78508View attachment 78509View attachment 78510View attachment 78511View attachment 78512View attachment 78513View attachment 78514View attachment 78516
I’m guessing the guy who glassed in the screw assumed that no one would do surgery on the boat 40 years later lol

I get itchy just looking at your pictures,hope you have some kind of dust extraction or your big rigs will be inhaling fiberglass dust for years to come.

I get itchy just looking at your pictures,hope you have some kind of dust extraction or your big rigs will be inhaling fiberglass dust for years to come.
Shhhhhh, I’m almost done :)
It’s payback for me having to breathe in diesel exhaust for 20 years,
Poly over the boat and a vacuum with the exhaust pointed out works great, when it’s not forgotten

With the screw glassed in you don’t need to worry about having a screw loose
I took out over 500 Roberton screws, none of them where loose, I’m thinking that screw was put in there on purpose for some stupid reason, I’m also thinking what I can glass in there for the next guy like me LoL.
Maybe I should leave a note in the stringer.
“Don’t Do It !”

Curious After you bonded the stringer to the hull, did you wrap your final 4 layers around the whole stringer or was it just tabbing it to the hull? If you wrapped the whole stringer then curious how it was going around all the edges without getting any air bubbles. So pro.

Shhhhhh, I’m almost done :)
It’s payback for me having to breathe in diesel exhaust for 20 years,
Poly over the boat and a vacuum with the exhaust pointed out works great, when it’s not forgotten
Your just starting,that dust gets into places you didn't know you had. I like a final fiberglass project,but getting there is nasty.I'm doing a relatively small job (my Pursuit tank hatch) and can grind outside,but it (dust) blows everywhere. I'm sure my neighbors can smell it. I did the layup in my attached double garage and even with the doors open the fumes get into the house.I'll be glad to see the end of glassing.

Curious After you bonded the stringer to the hull, did you wrap your final 4 layers around the whole stringer or was it just tabbing it to the hull? If you wrapped the whole stringer then curious how it was going around all the edges without getting any air bubbles. So pro.
Wrapped the layers around the whole stringer. If we were tabbing then we might of ended up with a bumpy stringer, tried to avoid that. The outer edge was rounded nicely with polybond when we bonded the stringer to the hull. The inner edge we filled with cabosil and rounded it with a bottle cap.
I wet, Ron rolls. Making sure Ron gets all air out doesn’t even come up in a conversation, it’s a given, he makes it look easy

Now that my stringers are almost done :)
Time to make sure everything else on the boat has a plan. After putting my electrical on hold to concentrate on the stringers, I finally spent some time with Anisur and made a revised game plan for the electrical system.
First starting with batteries, I’m going with 5x Odyssey AGM extremes, 2 starting, 3 house.
Between the starting and house system there is a Yamaha auto charging relay that comes with the motors, controlling the motor charging to the batteries. The system will be controlled by a BEP battery distribution cluster 717-140a-DVSR. The house batteries will lead to a bus bar, not sure what size yet, then to a blue sea 6006 switch, and then to a DC panel, again not sure what configuration. The inverter charger will be connected to the 12 volt bus bar with a 6006 switch and connected to a 120 volt AC 2 source panel blue sea 1208. The 1208 panel will be connected to a 4 position AC panel blue sea 1210. I’m going to install a Victron 3000 watt inverter charger. I’m going to have 3 bilge pumps wired into the 12 volt bus bar, one Rule 2001 and a 1500 for the boat and one 1500 for the pod. Downrigger plugs and 40amp blue sea 7038 breakers will also be wired directly to the bus bar. With switches I’m really leaning towards the blue sea 4161’s . I don’t want rocker switches and the push pull switches are totally 1980’s LoL. For electronics I’m going to get the EVO3S and Halo 20 plus radar. One thing I will need to make is a mounting bracket for the radar. Add a VHF radio Icom 424 ( still looking into the 510)
and a couple of shakespear antennas 5225XT. Throw in a few alarms- propane alarm and shut off valve FBY-P1BNVR, carbon monoxide detector, high bilge, smoke/fire alarms.
I really want a Lewmar Delta 7kg anchor, they look so nice, if it’s available I’m going to go with it. Going with a V1 windlass 1000lbs max. I have a few other items I almost have my mind made up on… will put it together and post the list

Add a Victron BMV-712 battery monitor and then you can watch your batteries on your phone too.
if you add solar the Victron solar controllers also will display on your phone.
Take a look at the Rocna 10kg or Vulcan 9kg anchors. You will sleep much better at anchor.
These anchors set almost immediately and hold really good. I have the Rocna 15kg on my 30.
I had a 2500 watt inverter on my boat that went. PYM talked me into a 2000 watt Xantrex Freedom XC2000. It runs everthing I need. Microwave, toaster, kettle etc. very quiet too
Dont forget lots of usb chargers. Can’t have enough now a days

2X vote for considering Victron battery monitor and their Bluetooth enabled gear. You can do an electrical monitoring screen or the 712 or just have all your electrical components viewable with blue tooth. I can walk by the boat and check to see if it’s charging up or the batteries are run down. I have their charger and their Victron SmartShunt 500A - Smart Battery Monitor (Bluetooth) https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B0856PHNLX/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_35R51YP0BN2MCYA4H9YT?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

I’d consider swapping out the Radio for this one or the Standard Horizon on sale that way you can have AIS displayed on your map display and know where bigger boats are Russian superyachts, and a few of the bigger tuna hunters :) and freighters. Please independently verify it works with your plotter :)
www.icomcanada.com/products/marine/marine_ic-m506.html

Back