Best wood for smoking salmon

the butcher

I use a smoke tube in my electric smoker and have been using the Traeger gourmet blend (Maple, Hickory, Cherry) with decent results. I am trying to find Alder pellets but everywhere is out and I just found out Traeger has discontinued Alder pellets. If I can't get my hands on maple pellets, I am curious as to what type of wood you guys use to smoker salmon which would give it the best flavor for hot smoked salmon? Should I continue to use the Traeger gourment blend or is there a better single wood pellet out there such as Apple? I've only used the Traeger gourment blend and used the alder pucks when I used to own a bradley. Haven't tried any other woods.

Alder is the most traditional but I find it overpowering. I used to do a blend of alder oak and cherry but now I go straight cherry.

I use alder as i have acres of the stuff free is good ... smoking up some cheese dogs today!!!

Going to do some harrison white salmon soon, never did white before , what you guys suggest for white salmon

For My best smoked fished I started with maple then cherry then finished with apple. The Applewood gives it a beautiful finish. A bit more work but worth it.

Back