Coho regs .

scott craven

In order to protect the Sooke thread

Originally Posted by r.s craven Crazy regs. so many wild fish out there being caught and released there has to be some mortality.
they should just make it 2 Coho period.
once you've caught your 2 fish, it's over.

"complained to the minister on more than 1 occasion ..she said it was concerning the information I was giving her (sifting 20 or 30 to find a couple), but she ensured me, they survive 95% of all releases, so its all good....problem, what problem????"

I question the 95% number, don't know where it comes from ?
even if the fish is still alive once it's returned it will be in a weakened
state and vulnerable to predation.
It seems to me the regulation makers have no common sense.:rolleyes:

comes from their own supposed studies - yeah, with experts adopting the safest of releases in the calmest of water probably, with only the straightest of single, barbless hooks, assuming no one would ever dare net the fish. Don't think it was 95%, but pretty sure they said either 80 or 90% survival. Whatever.....while yes, everyone 'should' know the way to properly release and should be able to spot the lack of adipose from miles away, we all know 75% of the fishers out there are netting the fish and letting it thrash inside the boat first, thus dropping the possibility of survival significantly.

What pisses me off more about the situation is that much of those 'wild' we are releasing are likely unclipped hatchery......wouldn't be an issue if they let us clip as many as we can, but nooooo.......it creates too much work for them and they don't want the hatcheries to go hog wild.

Good times.

comes from their own supposed studies - yeah, with experts adopting the safest of releases in the calmest of water probably, with only the straightest of single, barbless hooks, assuming no one would ever dare net the fish. Don't think it was 95%, but pretty sure they said either 80 or 90% survival. Whatever.....while yes, everyone 'should' know the way to properly release and should be able to spot the lack of adipose from miles away, we all know 75% of the fishers out there are netting the fish and letting it thrash inside the boat first, thus dropping the possibility of survival significantly.

What pisses me off more about the situation is that much of those 'wild' we are releasing are likely unclipped hatchery......wouldn't be an issue if they let us clip as many as we can, but nooooo.......it creates too much work for them and they don't want the hatcheries to go hog wild.

Good times.

Could not have explained this "AGAIN" any better.

Let's not loose sense of the reality that this measure is another FOC guise to eradicate coho for good plain and simple. No coho, nothing left to manage, no more worries!

trying to reason with DFO is like trying to reason with Hahn as to the real reason why profits are down on the ferries...lol

We all know there's no point, and yep, every year our blood boils when we look at the ratio of 'wild' to hatchery out there and hear about those sifting through 20 or 30 just to find their hatch jobs. Won't ever end.

Considering they were closed in area 19/20 for close to 10 years it would appear that the stocks have made a healthy rebound.
If the numbers are good a conservative catch limit of 2 Coho (clipped or not) would seem in order.
Next problem, rivers and streams are choked with wild coho and spawning
grounds are disrupted.

Agree with all of the above. WCFGA plans to lobby that point via SFAC process for what that is worth(less). I believe the DFO field guys understand and probably agree secretly with us on that point. The upper level DFO guys are risk averse and changing up regs is not something they want to consider despite the obvious rationale for changing the regs. DFO's aim to protect coho would be far better served if they simply let guys get there 2 coho of any kind and got off the water...way less fish would ultimately go to the bottom wasted.

Last edited by a moderator:
So am I reading correctly that you would agree to be forced to keep the first 2 legal sized coho you land? Your by yourself and catch a 3 and 4 pounder...your done?

I have proposed many times that openings combined with quotas caught is the way to go. For ease of calculation if your quota was 100 fish and you went out and caught 75 very small salmon, you must keep those against your quota. That way 75 fish are not thrown back. Especially commercial fishermen would have some serious thoughts about where they fish.

I have proposed many times that openings combined with quotas caught is the way to go. For ease of calculation if your quota was 100 fish and you went out and caught 75 very small salmon, you must keep those against your quota. That way 75 fish are not thrown back. Especially commercial fishermen would have some serious thoughts about where they fish.

The same is effective in all sectors, it is not an issue that is buttoned down to a single sector, or opposing sectors. The issue is inherent in all sectors.

DHA.

So am I reading correctly that you would agree to be forced to keep the first 2 legal sized coho you land? Your by yourself and catch a 3 and 4 pounder...your done?

Didn't think I needed to spell out the concept...just let folks take their 2 and be done. You know just as well as I do how many fish go to the bottom when you have guests who insist on catching their full limit before heading in. Let them get their fish and go. Better overall result than the current state.

The problem with a guided trip is that it isn't all about a limit, or it shouldn't be. The vast majority of the people I take out are there to catch fish but also to spend time on the water enjoying the day, the water, the changing views and to forget their other life at home for a few days. A few even enjoy my company! :) With that comes releasing fish no matter how you enforce limits. They aren't interested in finishing early, many come a long way and only get 1 trip a year so I don't blame them. An ethical operator will take any salmon that is legal and bleeding and make it apart of the days catch. Not sure this always happens. I don't like the current regs either but for other reasons..namely it's all stems from DFO bs

The problem with a guided trip is that it isn't all about a limit, or it shouldn't be. The vast majority of the people I take out are there to catch fish but also to spend time on the water enjoying the day, the water, the changing views and to forget their other life at home for a few days. A few even enjoy my company! :) With that comes releasing fish no matter how you enforce limits. They aren't interested in finishing early, many come a long way and only get 1 trip a year so I don't blame them. An ethical operator will take any salmon that is legal and bleeding and make it apart of the days catch. Not sure this always happens. I don't like the current regs either but for other reasons..namely it's all stems from DFO bs

I like your focus on creating an adventure, you are correct, it's not all about killing full limits. In reality it was best stated to me by a good acquaintance a number of years ago, he is a popular guide in Uci. He gave me his full business plan and explanation that if the industry does not work at changing its views and direction by 2009, our industry will become obsolete. Well, we have past 2009, we have not become any less blood thirsty, however, Bills opinion is correct! It may not be timely, but his observation and prolific guesstimate of where we all are headed is uncanny. If we don't sway away from the blood thirst, create new opportunity by sharing our environment and wealth of knowledge and experience by giving beyond the kill, then none of us will have anyone to blame but ourselves for the gluttony to which we subscribe.

Blood for a buck, enhanced by the conversation and conservation earned during your excursion(s). Imagine being able to share something different, something further from what you think that your clients may or may not want. It's easy to provide a blood fest. Develop something more. Develop substantial change right from within your own operation.

DHA.

Blood for a buck, enhanced by the conversation and conservation earned during your excursion(s). Imagine being able to share something different, something further from what you think that your clients may or may not want. It's easy to provide a blood fest. Develop something more. Develop substantial change right from within your own operation.

DHA.

Tell that to a commercial fisherman. The gluttany and all that other stuff too. Imagine something different.

Tell that to a commercial fisherman. The gluttany and all that other stuff too. Imagine something different.

Well, tell that to all sectors, because we all do exactly what ever it is as we are all allowed to do as directed by, (can you tell me?) YEP! You've guessed it DFO! PERIOD!

DHA.

Well, tell that to all sectors, because we all do exactly what ever it is as we are all allowed to do as directed by, (can you tell me?) YEP! You've guessed it DFO! PERIOD!

DHA.

We DON'T do what ever we are allowed to do. There are lot's of folks in the sportsfishing sector that are conservation orientated within there operations and personal preferences with suggestions and actions of releasing fish etc. Where do we see these actions and suggestions within the commercial fishery?

You are not held back from killing your limit at any time that you want to under the direction of DFO, just like every other sector can also do the same as directed by (Guess whoo) yep, DFO. There is no sector that is an issue on it's own, every sector is directed by DFO. Who's your problem? Focus on the issue not the outcome.

DHA.

You are not held back from killing your limit at any time that you want to under the direction of DFO, just like every other sector can also do the same as directed by (Guess whoo) yep, DFO.

DHA.

As a sportsfisherman I fully understand what I am allowed to kill but sometimes choose not to. As a commercial fisherman I would want to kill everything I was allowed to kill for profit. There is a huge wedge being talked about here.

As a sportsfisherman I fully understand what I am allowed to kill but sometimes choose not to. As a commercial fisherman I would want to kill everything I was allowed to kill for profit. There is a huge wedge being talked about here.

Not really, since a great proportion of the conversation was a derivative evolved by two guiding entities, to which I offered input. Making a choice to kill or not to kill is the same choice that everyone makes in any sector. Lots of commercial fisherman make business decisions not to participate in an open fishery, similarly as done in other sectors. I can legally string a net in any lake I feel like setting, anywhere in BC, what does that say to you? Honestly, please tell me.

DHA.

Back