Chum bag on anchor

Sushi bum

Is it legal to put a chum bag down on your anchor when fishing for halibut?
I can't find it in the regs.
Does it help attract fish?

Admittedly Im not much of a halibut fisherman, but it seems to me that having a chumbag on your anchor 400 feet upstream from your gear isnt likely to help much. I ran mine off the downrigger in the past.

ive chum bagged off the downrigger before too... a few years ago we tried making an auto dumping container to get a feeding frenzy going down there.... not sure it made it to the bottom all the time but was fun to play with while waiting for the bite

I take my salmon scraps and freeze them in a block with a rock. If the current doesn't swing around for hours, I drop it over and it goes straight to the bottom. It definitely sends out a scent trail.

X2 on the downrigger I have used 18" of 6"pvc pipe with a bunch of 3/4 "holes. one end threads on the other glued on with a 2 ft downrigger release crimped to the glued end. I fill it with bait and scent and slide it in a bread bag and freeze it. Does it always work nope but that's fishing.

When anchored I like to take a 2 lb ball and put it in a bait jar with the "flavour of the day"(leaving space for the lead ball to bash around) and attach that jar to the bottom of a spreader bar. On that spreader bar I will fish a grub that the sharks will rarely touch. This can be left down and does not have to be checked and the lead ball is rolling around with the bait making it leach yumalicouse fragrance for mr flattie. This set up I put off the bow. The other two rods regardless of what I am using for bait or lures I use 1 or 1.5 lb weights and fish off the stern. Works well for me.

When anchored I like to take a 2 lb ball and put it in a bait jar with the "flavour of the day"(leaving space for the lead ball to bash around) and attach that jar to the bottom of a spreader bar. On that spreader bar I will fish a grub that the sharks will rarely touch. This can be left down and does not have to be checked and the lead ball is rolling around with the bait making it leach yumalicouse fragrance for mr flattie. This set up I put off the bow. The other two rods regardless of what I am using for bait or lures I use 1 or 1.5 lb weights and fish off the stern. Works well for me.

Good trick Birdsnest
Will give it a try
thanks for sharing

Good trick Birdsnest
Will give it a try
thanks for sharing

It's tidy, reduces clutter under the boat and you get the odd fish on the grub with the stinky Bait jar. It certainly is heavier to bring that rig up but it only goes down once

Another innovative idea from Mr Birdsnest. :D

I will definitely try Birdnests' idea. Thank you!

Your welcome. I might add this system seams to be shark proof. When the sharks show up just take your bait off(the hooks) and fish the grubs and the stink(from the bait jar) will keep everything coming in but the sharks can't get at the bait and they are reluctant to take the grub but still the occasional shark will. Its better than bringing up sharks all day.

I cut up whatever I have. Herring, anchovies. Nothing exceptionally special I would say. Oily stuff that I can get that is fresh or in good shape/not freezer burnt or off. I am no halibut expert by any means. Guys out here are aways getting bigger fish than me but I think I tend to stay off the "big hali" spot is all. I actually usually only fish the same spot which is probably one of the most known spots out here. Half way to portland point.
I will say this tho-anchoring was a game changer. I used to drift fish over this spot and get smalls 8 to 20 lbs but when I started anchoring there it changed to 8 to 50lbs. usually always get a big one or two with a couple smaller ones.

Oh I see you said bait jar not bait. lol I have cabin fever and just want to yip.

I like the red one.
Scotty-Vented-Bait-Jar-2.jpg

Your welcome. I might add this system seams to be shark proof. When the sharks show up just take your bait off(the hooks) and fish the grubs and the stink(from the bait jar) will keep everything coming in but the sharks can't get at the bait and they are reluctant to take the grub but still the occasional shark will. Its better than bringing up sharks all day.
What is this"grub" your taking about??

Back