Chinook Fish Farm

victoriaboater

So with all the doom and gloom talk about the fish farms one thing is certain. Cultivating fish for the consumer is likely one of the most important and necessary aspects to bringing the wild fishery to a point of sustainability and hopefully to a point of annual growth to increase the wild stock. So while most people in the know will tell you the the farms in the Broughton are causing more harm than good I'd like see these same people talk a bit about who's doing it right and how it should be done. If we continue to say whats wrong with the current system we should also offer alternatives or ideas to remedy the problems. Have a link to the farms site below and lets hear what you think.

http://www.creativesalmon.com/

As we had discussed before, I would like to see proof that this type of farming does not breed and concentrate parasites such as sea lice that will spread into the surrounding waters and have negative impact on the wild stocks and the natural environment altogether. As long as I can't see proof of that I would insist on enclosed land-based facilities. But I can see several advantages over the Atlantic program.

That is still going to harbour the increase in sea-lice. It is a little better though, hopefully step by step they will find a way. I think land based farms may be the best wasy however.

Some facts about your fish:

- No antibiotics.
- No hormones.
- No Malachite Green.
- No Sea Lice Treatments (SLICE).
- High quality fish meal and fish oil diet.
- High level of Omega 3's and Omega 6's.
- Low stress environment, plenty of room to grow.

Looks good so far.
Are we missing something?
How come other farms insist on raising Atlantic salmon?
How come this farm doesn't need antibiotics, hormones, malachite green, and no lice treatments?

"How come other farms insist on raising Atlantic salmon?"

Atlantic handle the stress of being crowded together better than Pacific strains.

"How come this farm doesn't need antibiotics, hormones, malachite green, and no lice treatments?"

Probably attention to detail, lots of hard work and aren't making any money yet.

Bear in mind not everyone in that neighbourhood loves Creative Salmon company, you can go to http://westcoaster.ca/ do a search and see all kinds of bitching and carping about their methodology and business practices.

"How come this farm doesn't need antibiotics, hormones, malachite green, and no lice treatments?"

As I understand it Atlantic strains are susceptible to disease that the local varieties have natural immunity to.

The point has been made that Atlantics, or Pacific salmon, it makes no difference when it comes to transferring sea lice to the wild fish....GET THEM OUT OF THE WATER!!!! Its the only way it will work.

...how do these guys manage sea lice?

Back