Cedar plank salmon

scott craven

Tried this one last night, Wow!
it was great. :D (i skipped the parchment paper & finished on the BBQ)

Ingredients

2 tablespoons oil
2 jalapenos, cut into rings
1 tablespoon garlic, minced
1/2 cup white wine
3 tablespoons whole-grain mustard
1 cup apricot preserves

Directions

4 (4 by 4-inch) pieces parchment paper

4 cedar plank pieces, food service quality
4 (6-ounce) salmon fillets, skinned and boned
2 teaspoons sea salt
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
4 (3-inch) fresh rosemary sprigs
1 lemon, zested

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.

In a small saute pan over medium heat, heat oil. When hot, add jalapenos and saute until caramelized. Add garlic, and before it begins to brown, deglaze with white wine. Next add mustard and apricot preserves and bring to a simmer. Simmer over low heat for 20 minutes and let completely cool.

Place parchment paper on planks, add salmon, lightly salt and pepper, place a rosemary sprig on each fillet, and liberally apply cooled apricot mixture.

Place cedar plank on gas burner. When plank has begun to smoke, place into preheated oven.

Cook salmon until medium-rare; remove from oven and let sit for 2 to 3 minutes until serving. Garnish with lemon zest

Read more at: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/...ar-plank-salmon-recipe/index.html?oc=linkback

Why would the recipe ask for parchment paper between the fish and salmon? I probably would have done the same thing and omitted the paper. Did you notice a big difference in using cedar planks over not? I see these for sale more and more places nowadays. I am intrigued.

YES they work fine but ill give you a "tip of the week"
I get mine from a buddy with a mill (1 inch thick) and use a fortes bit and make 1/2 inch holes about a 1/4 of an inch down so it DOESNT go all the way thru and add lemon or apple,pineapple juice into all the holes then place the fish on top of it adds a nice flavor.

Also I soak my boards for about a week or as long as it takes to get totally saturated then put them into a individual zip lock bag and freeze em when i haul out the salmon i haul out a board as now its already pre soaked for you....usually get 3 cooks out of a board.

good luck wolf

Thanks for that tip, Wolf, I will try it!
Whenever I have the chance, I tie a short chunk of line to a plank, and send the plank down with the prawn traps - talk about a pressure soak!!! Works the best for me so far.

Back