Catch and Release Techniques

Fishalot

Not usually a problem for me :) however on our most recent trip to Nootka we had our possession limit in a few days and during that time and after our limit had significant difficulty releasing fish. We kept any fish that was deeply hooked however we would like to have fished longer. What techniques do you use to remove hooks without harm to the fish?

For a fish hooked with a single, the gaff method is best.

For trebs or hooks in the mouth, tail land the fish and remove hooks.

[Vwn2UE5rwOc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vwn2UE5rwOc&feature=share&list=PLF3F504D14EBB94AC

When fishing Nootka for instance I will fish bait with trebles as this is a proven killer but once I have what I want or limited I will switch and have fun with plugs or large spoons (no flasher or dummy)with a single barbless no fuss no muss - easy release with gaff or pliers at boat side. Love watching them swim away!

If you ever pull the hooks from a fish and it goes belly up give it a quick poke with your rod tip. Lots of times they are just stunned and the poke snaps them back and they swim off.

I've even turned the boat around and bumped belly up fish with the boat and they dart off.

We where in nootka last weekend, please do not long line release, poke it with your rod tip. Revive it properly. Seen afew floating dead, barely alive 15-20lbers. Sure if it a small shaker. That you just surface cranked to the boat, gaff release. But the big ones still need alittle help by reaching over and helping till he gives you two good shakes.
Sent from my C625a using Tapatalk

use single hooks, no tandem setups. Fish bites one hook and the tandem swings around and snags an eyeball or gill.

once you have your possession ,or sorry " Close " to your possession im gonna guess you meant :),
you bonked the injured fish,,,,, right !!
as the guys above nailed it , lose the trebles and tandems ,
thats the right ethical thing to do , period.. trebles injure fish more times than not ,
i rarely use bait , as many others on here im gonna guess ,
experiment with larger spoons and plugs ,rubber , dummy flashers etc ,
you may surprise yourself !!
i havent went through a half a pack of bait all year , just not needed on the wcvi .... IMHO
not saying they dont work !! but ,,,,,

and yes , the gaff hook flip release is best , leave them in the water at your stage of the game !!

m2b

fd

I don't use gaffs anymore.. I have a simple De-hooking device like this one my boat I won last year at a derby. Takes out hooks with ease, and works awesome on rock fish and ling cod etc...The gaff gets a little to big when you have to take deep hooks out. I am amazed how useful this has become.

[xwx6D1LAXoE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwx6D1LAXoE

http://dehooker4arc.com/store/produ...hooker-perfect-for-small-and-medium-size-fish

Last edited by a moderator:
Use a single barbless hook. Gaff method as shown in the vid^ or grab the hook with a sturdy pair of pliers and turn the hook upside down. Keep the fish in the water, don't net it.

Back