Carnage in the Strait

Klob

Saw a good spawn in Parksville Bay but very few boats.Just wondering what is happening elsewhere?

Really??

A bit early. The massive killing vacuums have just started to arrive. Must have seen about 6 coming into Baynes Sound yesterday.

Would be great if they went off now, they certainly aren't prepared to hit them yet.

Methinks it will be closer to the moon next month...

talked with DFO late last night....yes a spawn went off but the fish were very small 2 yr olds.....looks like March 5th or so for the major spawn or thereabouts...get out and jig em' up...bait for the year...no charge....fishing has been strong off the sout end of Hornby, Lambert, Flora....lots of big fish....seen two in the high twenties come into Deep Bay....lots of mid teens....some of the best fishing in the strait happens in the next month or so as the early runs follow the herring biomass around.....

I miss that area and the days of Jigging Springs off the Bowser Flats, Chrome, Eagle Rock, Tribune Bay, Flora or Norris Rocks, lol. Now that seems so long ago. Ten pulls green Perk and Bammo Fish On!

quote:Originally posted by Tailspin

I miss that area and the days of Jigging Springs off the Bowser Flats, Chrome, Eagle Rock, Tribune Bay, Flora or Norris Rocks, lol. Now that seems so long ago. Ten pulls green Perk and Bammo Fish On!

Still one of the best areas to fish in the entire Strait....always tons of bait, structure, very little pressure most days...out again tommorrow, try not to forget the camera this time.....must be 10,000 sea lions out there, millions of birds, herring everywhere.....finder was black with bait all day....will post photos from next time out....

Are you kidding?

Not until they get every last one. Seiners rolling in right now from all directions!

Once thats all done... Then it's all about the thrill of the kill of the krill!!!

Howdy,

Yes, they are starting to fish in the Gorge. Seen a couple of guy's out there in the last few days.

I learned a few years back from a Fisheries Officer that the herring moving up the Gorge actually spawn in Portage Inlet.

DFO - or FOC or whatever you want to call the cun*&'s - used to send divers down to do roe-counts each year; don't know if they still do.

Cheers,
Terry

Thinking of making the annual trip up island for herring tomorrow. Every year seems to be a different spot at a different time and this year seems at least a week early. Any suggestions of where might be a good spot to catch some? Have the seiners begun yet? Thanks

Last year, I fished hard at Gorge for herring with no success. The birds and seals had success picking up a few herring.
previous years, people had full buckets of herring from Gorge. Hope there are some herring around in the Gorge this year.

Back