Cap Mouth Closure - Port Authority

The port police don't seem to be vigorously enforcing the boundaries from what I saw a few days back. They just seem concerned with keeping guys out of the shipping Lanes so far. That could change, and if they really start enforcing it then that would suck for sure.

The port police don't seem to be vigorously enforcing the boundaries from what I saw a few days back. They just seem concerned with keeping guys out of the shipping Lanes so far. That could change, and if they really start enforcing it then that would suck for sure.

They may not be right now as the document states an "effective date" of September 12, 2016.

Sadly....it was just a matter of time until this happened. Way, way too many guys getting out in the shipping lane while fishing....when ships are inbound and outbound. From my house during the day, (as I am sure you hear to BG) as the Cap fishery nears you hear ships blowing warning blasts more and more frequently.

Ya I know Pip. The idiots out there are unbelievable. Didn't catch the start date, I did see the pending part of the above post. That is definitely going to pretty near shut down the Cap fishery if they seriously enforce the changes.

This sucks but hey, there are a few idiots who ruin it for all of us. Last Saturday I saw a fishing boat with gears in the water that crossed in front of a moving tanker at trolling speed and this was just in front of the Cap in the middle of the canal. The tanker blew the warning blast 5 times and the guy was only 100m away from the moving ship. It's just common sense to maintain the safe distance from larger vessels but unfortunately some fellow anglers fail to get it. I think the port authority is just doing what they're meant to do and that's protecting the safety of people and vessels in the harbor area.

Saw the police warn a guy off who was way out in the shipping Lanes on the south side. He pulled his lines and ran directly in front of the outbound freighter after being warned off. I couldn't believe the balls on that guy after just being warned (to do that) . I thought for sure the cops would have chased him down and ticketed him after pulling that stunt.

I would guess that there is going to be a warning period, and their not going to start giving tickets out on the start date. They'd be writing a lot of tickets if that's the case, because I'm sure the average guy isn't aware of this change.

I knew about the boundary change, but saw all the boats there and figured that enforcement hadn't started. I just figured as long as I'm out of the shipping Lanes they weren't bothering anyone. I didn't know about the start date until this post.

I would guess that there is going to be a warning period, and their not going to start giving tickets out on the start date. They'd be writing a lot of tickets if that's the case, because I'm sure the average guy isn't aware of this change.

Agree. This will take away the most productive area of the sheltered water from anglers. The green area in the map is barely fishable from a boat and is mainly fished by people from the shore. I'm sure the FNs on the park royal side will be very happy with the new boundary.

Next will be the mouth of the south arm...watched a trailer ship come in and just laying on the horn as he went to put her between the cans...of course no one moved and guys held their course cause they saw guys on fish or were oblivious to what was going on. Captain had to do some evasive maneuvers to get around the fleet and make it inside the green can...really wasn't cool

Curious ... I likely missed it but did anyone notice in the written Amendment where they described the change beyond just their insertion of the map without any text description of what is to be taken from the map?

Curious ... I likely missed it but did anyone notice in the written Amendment where they described the change beyond just their insertion of the map without any text description of what is to be taken from the map?

I skimmed through it quickly but every reference to a "bridge" that I saw was Second Narrows and NO mention of Lion's Gate or the general cap area although it IS part of a shipping lane.

I skimmed through it quickly but every reference to a "bridge" that I saw was Second Narrows and NO mention of Lion's Gate or the general cap area although it IS part of a shipping lane.
That is how I read it too. The January 2016 Port Information Guide clearly describes the existing First Narrows prohibited fishing area in section 8.19 but the Amendment doesn't clearly amend it. Not sure they would be able to legally hold anyone to it until they formally update the Port Information Guide on or after September 12 (as they put it in the Amendment) ... hopefully on or after is after this Cap fishing season.

That is how I read it too. The January 2016 Port Information Guide clearly describes the existing First Narrows prohibited fishing area in section 8.19 but the Amendment doesn't clearly amend it. Not sure they would be able to legally hold anyone to it until they formally update the Port Information Guide on or after September 12 (as they put it in the Amendment) ... hopefully on or after is after this Cap fishing season.

Good catch

This will make life ****** for the little sailing club beside the boat launch, they will have to shut down and move.
Closure include sailing, rowing, paddling, jet ski or waterski...........

its pretty simple .... its been a problem for years was even on the news last year, not hard to figure out what they are going to do they are going to enforce the root of the problem the idiots that cant figure out to stay out of the way and in the boundaries at the cap. was there on Saturday for couple hours in the afternoon and port authority was there the whole time and idiots still crossing the lines right in front of them without a care in the world after being told to get out...its not just the rec guys counted 4 guide boats circling inside the whole time... rant over

There was another thread that included this topic as well.

http://www.sportfishingbc.com/forum...our-regs-hook-pt-atkinson-port-closure.64029/

There is still the fishing area out of the shipping channels, closer into ambleside, that is open for fishing/sailing rowing etc ( see map in that thread). Sewer Bay looks to be still open as well on that map. I suspect that in practice the enforcement will be to make sure fishers (and sailboats, rowboats jetskis etc) who fish east of Navvy Jack Pt just keep in close and are not getting too far out into the channel ( as the map's boundary line is displayed). Quite frankly I don't see that as a ton of difference as you never were supposed to go out into the shipping channel off Ambleside or JLawson anyway. Maybe this will ramp up enforcement....time will tell. I think how precisely/exactly that Navvy Jack to cap light 'line' will be enforced has much to do with how well people stay clear when traffic is approaching. It was getting out of hand every fall.

Case in point - driving over Lions Gate Bridge this morning its still happening - there was a 28'-30' sport fishing vessel fishing between the cap light and the bridge out mid channel ! Can you blame Port Authority when even that closure line keeps getting breached!

Last edited:
looks like a good time for the cap to go back to the old anchor and mooch days, which were very productive and much more fun than the trolling gong shows in recent years. not too bad for the smaller boats for mocching not so good for the bigger ones but to me it looks like it will be the most effective way to fish that small area. unfortunate that it had to come to this but as others say, let's see how it is enforced.

I guess case in point....just cruising past the Cap...and due south of the green light there is a paddleboarder fighting wind/chop crossing the shipping lane....we're 130' but he's lucky there is no freighter coming thru as he's struggling. :rolleyes:

Cap fishery has turned into a gong show.

Would be cool if we had BIG Red Chinooks like there were years ago in Howe Sound....or.... Say.... If we did this fishery on the Indian River or something like that.

Too bad we can't get some Skeena or River's Inlet Hogs headed up the Squamish... Lots of a Room in Howe Sound....would be awesome to bring back the old days of Halkett Point, Britannia Beach, Anvil Island etc... Imagine that... Man... That would make for awesome times.

Exactly FM....one report and the Cap turns into the sandheads but in a smaller area lol. And yes it would be awesome if they could do any other stock than Harrison in the hatchery. The only problem is the success of the that program with that stock......maybe some south thompson stock!!!!!!!

I way preferred the old days before they introduced the whites at the Cap. Fishing them in the fall rains is nowhere near as nice as the old days when they arrived at the end of July. They also had the buntzen powerhouse net pen program producing red springs in Indian arm back then. That was a great local fishery for the short time it was funded. Spreading the fleet out to different areas would definitely help with traffic congestion.

Back