Maple wood flats closed to fishing by port authority

Derby

Crew Member

Take note of the brand new closed areas to sport fishing off the mouth of the Capilano and even the mouth of the Seymour is closed to pink salmon fishing moving forward. check out the link. This even includes row boats, paddle boards and kayaking

http://www.portvancouver.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/SafeBoatingGuide-Burrard.png

Send it to all 3 email I listed below.

They need to know this is a concern and that they need to review amendment changes

Jeffrey.pelton@portvancouver.com

navigation.review@portvancouver.com

harbour_master@portmetrovancouver.com

http://www.portvancouver.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/2016-08-12-VFPA-notice-of-amendment-Port-Information-Guide.pdf

here is the amendment first page tells you when it is effective

Sept 12 2016

http://www.portvancouver.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/2016-08-12-Port-Information-Guide-version-12.pdf

here is the new draft version of port guide but not its not fully in effective til Sept 12

Hello Mr. Pelton or to whom it may concern:

I am writing to you as

responsible concerned sport fishing angler in regards to your 2016 notice of amendment for your Latest PORT Information guide date issued

August 12 2016.

I noticed that you closed the area of :

Fishing or the use of fishing related equipment

is prohibited between Capilano light beacon and

Brockton Point as marked on appropriate CHS Charts. Additionally, fishing or the use of fishing

related equipment is prohibited in the area located within a line drawn from Capilano light

beacon, Navvy Jack Point and Ferguson Point

, as well as eastward through the Second

Narrows MRA to a line drawn from Berry Point, 000 degrees north to the north shore

I understand your many reasons for doing so, but I think it is quite unreasonable to just close off the whole area between those lines?

For last 25 years myself and locals have been quietly fishing a small area known as the maplewoods flats area.

A small area no where near the deep channel for transport and away from any harms way.

We only get to fish this are 2 months of the year when there a decent numbers of coho salmon passing through.

We only fish this area inside of the 2 green lighthouse markers and towards the shoreline. We are totally out of the way

Of any big transport or commercial vessels and we are away from any main high traffic area. That area on the mid and high tide is quite shallow.

Fit for only small boats and dingy’s. No big boats or vessels can even go that area.

I know that there is a green zone fishing allowed in the capilano area. You have allowed anglers to fish that area without any issues or disruption to the waterways.

I only ask that you can review and possibly make a small consideration allow a small group of anglers and locals to fish the area of maplewoods flats inside of the lighthouse

Markers towards shoreline.

Thank you for taking the time in reading my email

Please feel free to let me know if there is anything I can do

To help change or modify the port info guide before it is finalized

Effective date Sept 12 2016

Concerned and Responsible Angler

Back