Canucks 2021 Season

Canucks just signed Podkolzin to a 3 yr entry level contract. great news as he should be able to play on a 3rd line and be effective with lots of upside.

goooo Habs , although I doubt either team will have much chance against a well balanced and well rested jets team.

Just read all the bridges have been closed in Toronto. In all seriousness losing Tavares and Muzzin in the end along with shutting down the big boys was the telling story. Carey Price outstanding performance.

I can't help thinking Matthews was injured somehow although his skating looked OK he just wasn't that involved in the play.

Always good to see Toronto lose though.
I just don't think matthews and marner have a playoff mode and struggle while others have kicked it up a notch, mcdavid and draisaitl at least showed some moxy but had no support, you have to build a team with players you know will show up in the playoffs, I thought last year on the canucks run petey showed he can handle it, we need a couple more guys like horvat and miller, hoglander looks like he'll do well in playoff hockey, podkolzin looks like he'd thrive on it, we just have to get there, lol, benning has his work cut out for him this summer , if canucks get a good draft pick draw maybe they can do a trade and grab solid proven player. enough rambling, lol.

51 years of the exact same luck hahaha
The Canucks decades of bad luck does seem to defy the rules of mathematics and statistics. Of course another way to look at it is that at least they did not lose two places with the draw like they usually do. The hockey gods may well have decided they should have, since they allowed the Canucks to acquire the equivalent of a good first round draft pick in Toffoli last year and then just let him walk. Turns out he is up closer to the top end of the NHL in terms of putting goals in the net. This year the Canucks had no one close to him in goal scoring ability, their best scorer being Boeser, farther down the list. Toffoli is also a good two-way forward and Montreal is using him on the power kill. You have to ask, would Montreal have made the playoffs without the lower cap cost Toffoli? Would they have beat Toronto without him? Would the Canucks have squeaked into the Playoffs if Benning had found a way to dump some deadwood and kept him? I am enjoying watching the Habs and at least this year with Covid, I did not spend money going over to Van to watch the Canucks lose.

Last edited:
The Canucks decades of bad luck does seem to defy the rules of mathematics and statistics. Of course another way to look at it is that at least they did not lose two places with the draw like they usually do. The hockey gods may well have decided they should have, since they allowed the Canucks to acquire the equivalent of a good first round draft pick in Toffoli last year and then just let him walk. Turns out he is up closer to the top end of the NHL in terms of putting goals in the net. This year the Canucks had no one close to him in goal scoring ability, their best scorer being Boeser, farther down the list. Toffoli is also a good two-way forward and Montreal is using him on the power kill. You have to ask, would Montreal have made the playoffs without the lower cap cost Toffoli? Would they have beat Toronto without him? Would the Canucks have squeaked into the Playoffs if Benning had found a way to dump some deadwood and kept him? I am enjoying watching the Habs and at least this year with Covid, I did not spend money going over to Van to watch the Canucks lose.
Yup, 50 years of mismanagement has lead to mediocrity. The Burke and Quinn era righted the ship temporarily. JB swung and missed Tofolli over Virtanen but what is not excusable was not signing low cost RH D Stetcher who could move up and down the lineup and for the short term do an honourable job. Let's see what the hype brings us in this years draft and take another stab at making the playoffs next year. This year was a nominally with COVID, scheduling etc so just maybe the ownership group can express their displeasure with the NHL brass and at least receive some scheduling relief with the Kraken joining the mix. Right?

Yup, 50 years of mismanagement has lead to mediocrity. The Burke and Quinn era righted the ship temporarily. JB swung and missed Tofolli over Virtanen but what is not excusable was not signing low cost RH D Stetcher who could move up and down the lineup and for the short term do an honourable job. Let's see what the hype brings us in this years draft and take another stab at making the playoffs next year. This year was a nominally with COVID, scheduling etc so just maybe the ownership group can express their displeasure with the NHL brass and at least receive some scheduling relief with the Kraken joining the mix. Right?
Toffoli continues to impress and may well be the most critical player on the Habs next to Price. Great to watch him yesterday score the game winner and short-handed goal against the Jets while he was out killing off a penalty. I understand he has also been important in the locker room, as he has a ring from a series where they had to fight back from a deficit to win the cup, just like the Habs fought back against Toronto. The Canucks not only had Toffoli but also his chemistry with Pearson from that cup winning team, making Pearson better as well, and he wanted to stay for cheap. Letting him go was beyond a huge mistake and a lot of fans are never going to forgive Benning for it and want him gone or limited to a role where he did excel, draft picks.

As for Troy Stecher, I think he was a loss but not the loss Toffoli was. I understand it was that cheap ******* Aquilini who was responsible for Stechers loss. Lets hope he starts spending some money and keeps his nose out of the management decisions from now on. Not that throwing huge money at a team is everything, because if it was, Toronto would be advancing. Great to watch Stecher pull off some amazing superstar moves to set up the tap in winner for Canada at the Worlds and eliminate the power house and expected tournament winner Russians.

Last edited:
Toffoli continues to impress and may well be the most critical player on the Habs next to Price. Great to watch him yesterday score the game winner and short-handed goal against the Jets while he was out killing off a penalty. I understand he has also been important in the locker room, as he has a ring from a series where they had to fight back from a deficit to win the cup, just like the Habs fought back against Toronto. The Canucks not only had Toffoli but also his chemistry with Pearson from that cup winning team, making Pearson better as well, and he wanted to stay for cheap. Letting him go was beyond a huge mistake and a lot of fans are never going to forgive Benning for it and want him gone or limited to a role where he did excel, draft picks.

As for Troy Stecher, I think he was a loss but not the loss Toffoli was. I understand it was that cheap ******* Aquilini who was responsible for Stechers loss. Lets hope he starts spending some money and keeps his nose out of the management decisions from now on. Not that throwing huge money at a team is everything, because if it was, Toronto would be advancing. Great to watch Stecher pull off some amazing superstar moves to set up the tap in winner for Canada at the Worlds and eliminate the power house and expected tournament winner Russians.
Stetcher usually looks pretty good away from the physical intensity of the playoffs. He got rag dolled several times against St Louis and Las Vegs last year in the playoffs and i think that sealed his fate for not even getting an offer from the Canucks. I like him but they need to get their kids into the lineup

I fully understand letting stetcher go, they have hughes and rathbone coming, both small in size you just can't have 3 smallish d men, 2 is stretching it. toffoli maybe could have been done but they needed more cap space than just virtanen, they needed more time to work something out and toffoli got a decent offer in the mean time, it sucked to see him go. they never really did play him with pearson, he was with petey and miller most of the time here. should be an interesting summer and draft, can't wait to see what seattle looks like when it's all done.

I guess Toffoli must be happy, that as Benning indicated himself, he was concentrating on recruiting defense. If the Canucks had kept him, he may have been stuck on what became the last placed team in the division. He just scored another game winner and this time the division winner, to send the Habs into the semi-finals of the playoffs.

Last edited:
Back