Can Someone Explain This Technique To Me?

Maybe just pulling the fish to the net at boatside at the end of a battle?
No no this was the entire fight. For every fish.
But yeah you bring up a good point I do this while solo netting too.

I've used that technique ...usually when the fish has stopped running and now won't move in or out...gives you the chance to take the strain and get some of the burn out of the left arm. Just using leverage and your right to give the left a bit of a rest before you go at it again.

Mark from west coast sporting journal does some arm angles like that too. I also get a bit perturbed by it.

Ok I'm bored, sue me. Boats in the shop.

Without dogging the poor guy can someone please explain to me why he's doing this? It makes no sense to me.

View attachment 62380View attachment 62381
Finally some photos of a guy handling a rod properly LOL, I was taught this method of rod handling by my dad when I was 6 yrs. old (my hands weren't big enough yet but that didn't matter, it was going to be the way I was going to be fishing, no if's, ands, or buts. The only reels my dad owned were JW Young & Sons Seldex's, for river fishing, lake fishing and the couple times we did it ocean fishing, they were it. The idea of having the rod like this in your left had when you were river fishing with a Seldex or other centre pins when you went to cast you had control of the reel so it didn't free spool with the ratchet off and give you a birds nest. You kind of place the rod in the crotch between your thumb and fore fingers, so the thumb and fore fingers can be the drag. I mostly mooch live bait and the drag on my reels is set as low as possible. So say you're playing a fish and it goes around the line of one of your other rods, you can take the rod one handed in your left hand and straighten your lines and still have control of the drag on the fish. I still fish this way when river fishing with my centre pin.

I never palm a reel either. Same thing as above from using a Silex in rivers for decades. Just drop fingers down onto the spool rim to give drag like a cars disc brakes. I recently learned it doesn't work so well on those graphite mooching reels. Too much friction. They burn.

Yeah I think its a pinning thing. I hold with my left at the reel seat. Pinky and ring finger to add tension if needed. Maybe there's a better way, but now its muscle memory...maybe a side effect of the pin hold, maybe just lucky but I have never been knuckle busted holding it this way

Yeah I think its a pinning thing. I hold with my left at the reel seat. Pinky and ring finger to add tension if needed. Maybe there's a better way, but now its muscle memory...maybe a side effect of the pin hold, maybe just lucky but I have never been knuckle busted holding it this way
X2 on that. If you’re a river fishing guy who’s been using a CP setup, that’s how you enjoy every drop of a fight before the fish bellies up floating towards you. It’s transferable skill, I guess.

Ok that's what I was thinking. I've never fished a river in my life so you can see where I'm coming from here. Thanks for the feedback guys.

When this COVID sh*t is over, we should all get together for a river-side BCSF BBQ fest and get to do some river fishing too. Not trying to bring up the fried chicken thing but rather wanting to plan something out for late summer.
@Rain City I have a few spare river setups for you and your daughter, more than happy to get you started on that side. Kids can really enjoy the action on our local flows. It’s a pink run year for the mainland. Let’s take advanced. ;)

When this COVID sh*t is over, we should all get together for a river-side BCSF BBQ fest and get to do some river fishing too. Not trying to bring up the fried chicken thing but rather wanting to plan something out for late summer.
@Rain City I have a few spare river setups for you and your daughter, more than happy to get you started on that side. Kids can really enjoy the action on our local flows. It’s a pink run year for the mainland. Let’s take advanced. ;)
Sounds great would love to.

can tell you what it is and bet bottom dollar will get most of yeah backs-up ...
pop corn time

he's a righty

if your right handed you should reel left hand ..... which 80% of people are
strong arm on the rod weak arm hand reeling in ....
but most reel palm with there right which i disagree with ....

give some one a fly rod and watch them most fly rods are set up for right hand casting winding in with the left hand

i wonder why???? lesson over but enjoy what ever way you fish ....

Back