C Numbers, Stability Test & Insurance

Rain City

Crew Member
Hey all,

Looking for some real world experience with this. I was given some advice today that the stability test is not a TC requirement for your C numbers. I am not looking to get the blue decal, the goal is to do the minimum required to do the odd trip with paid guests, or to transport workers to sites. What kind of premium are y'all paying for the insurance over and above your regular personal watercraft insurance? Has anyone done the C numbers without the stability test? I would appreciate leaving the virtue signaling out of the conversation. Saying the word "minimum" does not imply a lack of having proper safety protocols in place. I also already have all my necessary tickets.

Rain City, when I did my SVCP-F several years ago the stability test was part of it. You had to do it or you didn't get the decal.

Mike
Right, and Im not looking to get the decal though. From my reading there are new self assessment options for boats under 12m.

Government f….kery is the term some use for dealing TC. Braver man than I @Rain City . My buddy says “start a charter business, you love fishing.” My response no f…ing way.

I do think finding ways to pay for your boat is a good idea, with the luxury tax and reduced numbers of big boats being made every year in North America it is almost impossible to replace. I think bare boat charters are just going to go up in price, for good family boats.

Government f….kery is the term some use for dealing TC. Braver man than I @Rain City . My buddy says “start a charter business, you love fishing.” My response no f…ing way.

I do think finding ways to pay for your boat is a good idea, with the luxury tax and reduced numbers of big boats being made every year in North America it is almost impossible to replace. I think bare boat charters are just going to go up in price, for good family boats.
Definitely NOT "starting a charter business". But I am looking for the odd opportunity here or there to recoup some costs. Obviously no point if the costs for doing so are more than I'd recoup though.

Possible to charter it out as a filming location, with the stipulation that you're the operator. I think you can list it as a location for Creative BC.

If you search the available locations, boats are a category, thought it's mostly larger ships. Might be worth looking into.

Possibility of the work being hard on the boat, but I think it depends on what they would be using it for, and what contracts you decide to take on. Living in East Van, I'm sure you know someone in the film industry and have already looked into this though lol.

Stability test is not a requirement to actually get the C number, they don't ask for it as part of the application. That said if your checked on the water you must have the stability test results with you. Now if your boat is newer than March 2005 I don't think its required as your boat must have built according ISO 122170-1 and you should be able to get a confirmation from the builder. One thing to watch for is if the boat was originally design for recreational use it might not comply to the ISO standard. If that's the case there is procedure that needs to be followed in the ISO spec for testing the boat.

Here is the Link to the test for older boats. Get some buddies together one afternoon do the test fill out the paper work and your done. Its really not a big deal unless you fail the test.

https://tc.canada.ca/en/marine-tran.../assessing-stability-small-commercial-vessels

Last edited:
Possible to charter it out as a filming location, with the stipulation that you're the operator. I think you can list it as a location for Creative BC.

If you search the available locations, boats are a category, thought it's mostly larger ships. Might be worth looking into.

Possibility of the work being hard on the boat, but I think it depends on what they would be using it for, and what contracts you decide to take on. Living in East Van, I'm sure you know someone in the film industry and have already looked into this though lol.
I have not! But I sure do know a lot of losers in the film industry lol

Stability test is not a requirement to actually get the C number, they don't ask for it as part of the application. That said if your checked on the water you must have the stability test results with you. Now if your boat is newer than March 2005 I don't think its required as your boat must have built according ISO 122170-1 and you should be able to get a confirmation from the builder. One thing to watch for is if the boat was originally design for recreational use it might not comply to the ISO standard. If that's the case there is procedure that needs to be followed in the ISO spec for testing the boat.

Here is the Link to the test for older boats. Get some buddies together one afternoon do the test fill out the paper work and your done. Its really not a big deal unless you fail the test.

https://tc.canada.ca/en/marine-tran.../assessing-stability-small-commercial-vessels
I was reading through this last night. It put me to sleep really well actually

I had to send mine in to get my C numbers, also my insurance might have wanted a copy too. That was years back so it may have changed but don't think so. Also with the boat you have I would say you might be better offering boat charters/tours. Im sure there's lots of "content creators" in van that would like to go out and film on a boat 😁

I had to send mine in to get my C numbers, also my insurance might have wanted a copy too. That was years back so it may have changed but don't think so. Also with the boat you have I would say you might be better offering boat charters/tours. Im sure there's lots of "content creators" in van that would like to go out and film on a boat 😁
I've already got one mooching the free ride the past few years!

fit a seakeeper and there never rocking it ... haha that will ***'em .........

avoid divers unless your boat needs trashing ........

Back