Browns Bay Derby?

Well, for my first Chum fishing and Chum derby, I was very impressed. Coming from the Kootenays, we do have a few derby's on my waters of Kootenay Lake, but, this was one of the funnest derby's I've been to. And lots of Action....

It was nice meeting a lot of you. Now, I can put some faces to the names also. Too bad we couldn't get there to enjoy a couple evenings of festivities. But Sat. night was definately fun.

Arrived Sat am around 9:00. Didn't start fishing until around 10:00. Apparantly missed the big bite in the morning, but we did manage to land 6 out of 15. Not bad for a first timer. Our biggest was just over 13 Lbs.

Sunday we managed to get out at the right time. Had about 8 to the boat before 9:00. Ended up with a total of 9 fish that day up to just over 16 Lbs.

Didn't get to stick around for the ceremony on Sunday, but I had lots of fun.

Thanks for the great weekend everybody. Will definately try to make it an annual thing.

BEST DERBY ON THE ISLAND.Tailout and myself got up there Thursday afternoon put the boat in the water,We met kevin and he gave us the lowdown and fished a couple hours and nothing. Back to camp met up with Hopper and Alberta, Kevin,Islandgirl and sorry forgot the rest.Great scallops Hopper thanks again.Kevin thanks for the drving tips. Great first night. Fished Friday lots of catch and release. Friday night partied. Saturday derby day, what a ZOO off the lighthouse way too many boats for us but the last straw was naked guy biting the head off that chum and the guy is like 6 ft off the side of my boat.Went north and ended up with are 8 largest was 17.4. Good day for are first time.Sunday we had 8 by 10:30
Great derby,great owners and very nice campsite,great times and YES we wiil be back.Way too much fun for the end of October

BEST DERBY ON THE ISLAND.Tailout and myself got up there Thursday afternoon put the boat in the water,We met kevin and he gave us the lowdown and fished a couple hours and nothing. Back to camp met up with Hopper and Alberta, Kevin,Islandgirl and sorry forgot the rest.Great scallops Hopper thanks again.Kevin thanks for the drving tips. Great first night. Fished Friday lots of catch and release. Friday night partied. Saturday derby day, what a ZOO off the lighthouse way too many boats for us but the last straw was naked guy biting the head off that chum and the guy is like 6 ft off the side of my boat.Went north and ended up with are 8 largest was 17.4. Good day for are first time.Sunday we had 8 by 10:30
Great derby,great owners and very nice campsite,great times and YES we wiil be back.Way too much fun for the end of October

Now that I can sit down for a bit I'll add my two cents worth.

Having the first and third place fish on my boat last year meant we had a lot of pressure on us to repeat (NOT) We come for the fun, fishing and camaraderie.

JB, also known as Copper 2 advised me at noon on Thursday that he couldn't go. He had the first place fish last year. It was too bad as he's a party in himself. My son and my neighbour, the Maytag Man were still able to go. This is the third year for the Maytag Man.

We arrived in the dark Thursday night and met a bunch at the firepit. Osama had his usual scallops for us to feast on, may Allah bless you Osama. Met a few people that I hadn't met in years past, drank a bunch of beer, ate a bunch of scallops, watched as the caretakers pulled a truck out of the ditch, you know, all the usual Derby stuff.

Osamas lovely bride Jodi arrived and was introduced all around. I'm not sure how he found such a lovely partner, but who said life is fair.

Fished Friday for fun, boated 8 or so and lost 8 or so. Drank some beer and then had fish and chips in the restaurant for supper. Great food, Dicks Fish n Chips from Campbell River I believe. Headed up to the Octagon for the festivities. Apparently I missed some real Octagon stuff, you know, Ultimate fighting, over before I got there. Oh well.
More scallops compliments of Jeff (Osama) and Island Scallops.

Here is where all the regulars gathered. C.S. and his buddy Brian (Huggy Bear) Kevin (My Escape) just to name a few. Island Girl and Kellya, newbies to the fun were also there, amongst a ton of other new faces. Into the Octagon for some poker, more beer and then off to bed.

Saturday could not have been much nicer for weather. We hooked 25, landed 20 and kept 10. Our largest was 14.5. We had a blast. Off the water and up to visit CS for a BBQ and of course, more beer. Over to the Octagon for more cards.

In attendance from my subdivison alone were 8 or so people. From Nanaimo there must have been around 25 or so. Lots of good clean fun had by all.

My son had to leave Saturday afternoon for a wedding reception so that left Maytag Man and I to fend for ourselves on Sunday. I'm afraid the wind got the better of us when we hooked into a triple header and our boat became a sailboat. We decided that was enough fun and headed in after Maytag got soaked up to his knee ( no , he didn't fall in )
Early to the boat ramp, a breakfast bun and coffee and the restaurant and on the road before most had landed.

We are really looiking forward to next year. I've heard that they are thinking of increasing the derby to 500 tickets next year. I really hope that this is not true. I hope this doesn't get any bigger. If it does I'm afraid that I'll be contemplating getting a bunch of the regulars to go on a different weekend to enjoy what we enjoy much. Each other, fishing, planning sessions and Osamas' scallops.

Short chats with Blue Orca, Iron Noggin, Steelheader, Milo and more.
Honorable mentions to the boys from Manitoba and Alberta. That's a long way to go for a fishing trip. Thanks to Marty for the shore power cord.

Anyway, for those that couldn't make it, it was a blast. Thanks to all for the fun and look forward to next year. We didn't have a camera so no pics to post. I imagine there will be some from others showing up.

Now that I can sit down for a bit I'll add my two cents worth.

Having the first and third place fish on my boat last year meant we had a lot of pressure on us to repeat (NOT) We come for the fun, fishing and camaraderie.

JB, also known as Copper 2 advised me at noon on Thursday that he couldn't go. He had the first place fish last year. It was too bad as he's a party in himself. My son and my neighbour, the Maytag Man were still able to go. This is the third year for the Maytag Man.

We arrived in the dark Thursday night and met a bunch at the firepit. Osama had his usual scallops for us to feast on, may Allah bless you Osama. Met a few people that I hadn't met in years past, drank a bunch of beer, ate a bunch of scallops, watched as the caretakers pulled a truck out of the ditch, you know, all the usual Derby stuff.

Osamas lovely bride Jodi arrived and was introduced all around. I'm not sure how he found such a lovely partner, but who said life is fair.

Fished Friday for fun, boated 8 or so and lost 8 or so. Drank some beer and then had fish and chips in the restaurant for supper. Great food, Dicks Fish n Chips from Campbell River I believe. Headed up to the Octagon for the festivities. Apparently I missed some real Octagon stuff, you know, Ultimate fighting, over before I got there. Oh well.
More scallops compliments of Jeff (Osama) and Island Scallops.

Here is where all the regulars gathered. C.S. and his buddy Brian (Huggy Bear) Kevin (My Escape) just to name a few. Island Girl and Kellya, newbies to the fun were also there, amongst a ton of other new faces. Into the Octagon for some poker, more beer and then off to bed.

Saturday could not have been much nicer for weather. We hooked 25, landed 20 and kept 10. Our largest was 14.5. We had a blast. Off the water and up to visit CS for a BBQ and of course, more beer. Over to the Octagon for more cards.

In attendance from my subdivison alone were 8 or so people. From Nanaimo there must have been around 25 or so. Lots of good clean fun had by all.

My son had to leave Saturday afternoon for a wedding reception so that left Maytag Man and I to fend for ourselves on Sunday. I'm afraid the wind got the better of us when we hooked into a triple header and our boat became a sailboat. We decided that was enough fun and headed in after Maytag got soaked up to his knee ( no , he didn't fall in )
Early to the boat ramp, a breakfast bun and coffee and the restaurant and on the road before most had landed.

We are really looiking forward to next year. I've heard that they are thinking of increasing the derby to 500 tickets next year. I really hope that this is not true. I hope this doesn't get any bigger. If it does I'm afraid that I'll be contemplating getting a bunch of the regulars to go on a different weekend to enjoy what we enjoy much. Each other, fishing, planning sessions and Osamas' scallops.

Short chats with Blue Orca, Iron Noggin, Steelheader, Milo and more.
Honorable mentions to the boys from Manitoba and Alberta. That's a long way to go for a fishing trip. Thanks to Marty for the shore power cord.

Anyway, for those that couldn't make it, it was a blast. Thanks to all for the fun and look forward to next year. We didn't have a camera so no pics to post. I imagine there will be some from others showing up.

quote:Originally posted by baddogg

I hope this doesn't get any bigger. If it does I'm afraid that I'll be contemplating getting a bunch of the regulars to go on a different weekend to enjoy what we enjoy much. Each other, fishing, planning sessions and Osamas' scallops.
Would anyone be interested in a sportfishingbc/friends derby for springs in july or aug? Dont know when or where just a thought

quote:Originally posted by baddogg

I hope this doesn't get any bigger. If it does I'm afraid that I'll be contemplating getting a bunch of the regulars to go on a different weekend to enjoy what we enjoy much. Each other, fishing, planning sessions and Osamas' scallops.
Would anyone be interested in a sportfishingbc/friends derby for springs in july or aug? Dont know when or where just a thought

quote:Originally posted by Brokenrod

WOW !!! What a blast. Bruce had a great time as well, I was the designated netter, One triple and two doubles, the CHAOS is addicting. Did you all see the whale on Sat slaping it's tail on the water at least 12-15 times... different.
On Sun I had Ken with me, a friend from work, the sales manager. Much faster pace on Sun. We fished the wall north of Deepwater, seemed to tame that southeaster a bit along the beach. Eight for thirteen with a nice marked coho, steady action, done by 11:00. Again I was the self appointed designated netter. "Rod tip up... bring'm to the net" great fun.
It was great to meet some of you for the first time, and of course to tip a few with those of you I all ready know.
And I'll second the motion about the new owners, great friendly people.
What was the winning wieght?

Ken's an awesome guy, hilarious, my mom always deals with him. You guys must of had a ball! Good to hear it was a good time...wish I didn't have to be in Ottawa for school!

David

quote:Originally posted by Brokenrod

WOW !!! What a blast. Bruce had a great time as well, I was the designated netter, One triple and two doubles, the CHAOS is addicting. Did you all see the whale on Sat slaping it's tail on the water at least 12-15 times... different.
On Sun I had Ken with me, a friend from work, the sales manager. Much faster pace on Sun. We fished the wall north of Deepwater, seemed to tame that southeaster a bit along the beach. Eight for thirteen with a nice marked coho, steady action, done by 11:00. Again I was the self appointed designated netter. "Rod tip up... bring'm to the net" great fun.
It was great to meet some of you for the first time, and of course to tip a few with those of you I all ready know.
And I'll second the motion about the new owners, great friendly people.
What was the winning wieght?

Ken's an awesome guy, hilarious, my mom always deals with him. You guys must of had a ball! Good to hear it was a good time...wish I didn't have to be in Ottawa for school!

David

hey kelly i would be interesting in having a fun lil derby for springs

hey kelly i would be interesting in having a fun lil derby for springs

I've been following the thread here in Victoria, wishing I could go, then wishing I was there, then reading about all the fish caught. Sounds like the best Chum Derby ever. Kids kept be back this year but I'll be there next.
Hey Scooter how did you and the wife fare?
PinchMe :)

I've been following the thread here in Victoria, wishing I could go, then wishing I was there, then reading about all the fish caught. Sounds like the best Chum Derby ever. Kids kept be back this year but I'll be there next.
Hey Scooter how did you and the wife fare?
PinchMe :)

Was an awsome weekend, got there on friday night, hung out at the fire with my older brother, Didnt know about the Octagon so I thought the weather pushed everyone into campers/Boats, went to bed Early friday night.

Got up Really early friday morning, as I recall it was 4am according to Baddoggs watch, ****ing waves made me **** myself... Headed out about 8am, hooked a nice 15lbs'er at about 9am, spent the rest of the day ****ing around with gear and depths since we're noobs and ended up losing 2 and watching everyone hook up around us. Got back into dock weighed in my sorry 1 fish surrounded by buckets of chum <literally>, licked our wounds and made a plan for sunday.

Sat night was good, met a lot of people, it was easy since Bad Dogg was moored in front and Island Girl Was moored behind us, had a few beers, considered going up to the festivities but somehow ended up passing out in stinky fishing clothes at about 8:30 lol

Sunday we hit the water at about 7:30, my brother snapped a cannon ball dropping the downrigger too hard so we had a cluster **** of a time try to find the back up, ended up being blown way out into the bay and on top a a magical Hump < <3 Bad Dogg > hooked a nice 14 lb, dropped the gear and within 5 mins hit another 14.5lber Breaking the rod when setting the hook was PRICELESS, all I heard was snap and poof I had half a rod, Managed to reel the fish in but due to the snapped rod could only get him within 7ft of the boat, thank god my brother can stretch, after a few attempts and him almost going for a swim we netted the 15.5lb'er, what an awsome day for sure.

Prizes were funtimes, Next year lets get a mic <3, and the best part was the look on my brothers face when he won Lowest Aggregate for the weekend, I dont think he'll live that down, ever!

All in All I had a BLAST, and We'll be out there Every Year rain or shine <3

Klink

Was an awsome weekend, got there on friday night, hung out at the fire with my older brother, Didnt know about the Octagon so I thought the weather pushed everyone into campers/Boats, went to bed Early friday night.

Got up Really early friday morning, as I recall it was 4am according to Baddoggs watch, ****ing waves made me **** myself... Headed out about 8am, hooked a nice 15lbs'er at about 9am, spent the rest of the day ****ing around with gear and depths since we're noobs and ended up losing 2 and watching everyone hook up around us. Got back into dock weighed in my sorry 1 fish surrounded by buckets of chum <literally>, licked our wounds and made a plan for sunday.

Sat night was good, met a lot of people, it was easy since Bad Dogg was moored in front and Island Girl Was moored behind us, had a few beers, considered going up to the festivities but somehow ended up passing out in stinky fishing clothes at about 8:30 lol

Sunday we hit the water at about 7:30, my brother snapped a cannon ball dropping the downrigger too hard so we had a cluster **** of a time try to find the back up, ended up being blown way out into the bay and on top a a magical Hump < <3 Bad Dogg > hooked a nice 14 lb, dropped the gear and within 5 mins hit another 14.5lber Breaking the rod when setting the hook was PRICELESS, all I heard was snap and poof I had half a rod, Managed to reel the fish in but due to the snapped rod could only get him within 7ft of the boat, thank god my brother can stretch, after a few attempts and him almost going for a swim we netted the 15.5lb'er, what an awsome day for sure.

Prizes were funtimes, Next year lets get a mic <3, and the best part was the look on my brothers face when he won Lowest Aggregate for the weekend, I dont think he'll live that down, ever!

All in All I had a BLAST, and We'll be out there Every Year rain or shine <3

Klink

After a couple nights of recovery, finally filing the report:D

Overall the Chumly Show was once again a serious amount of FUN! More than enough fish to go around this year (why I believe even RoeBags might have caught them if he had showed ) and even with the usual high-grading that goes along with Derby Daze, our crew eneded up dragging home possession limits of absolute chrome all round :D

Friday, SteelHeader and I wandered up-Island dragging his Hunting Machine that was destined to be our Home for the next 3 days. Things were kinda quiet when we arrived early, with the exception of My Escape already considering leading the next charge [^]
Out on The Pond for a brief survey... aYup! They're Here!! In something a little less than an hour, we had landed five (releasing a few) and fought seven. Then it was time to run back to the marina, and pick up the balance of our crew. Milo & Tad were in fine spirits, and eager to test the water themselves. So with no further delay, we did just that. The Ladz proved themselves up to the challenge, and indeed managed to land everything that was hooked for the balance of the afternoon. Hunger pains finally began to gnaw at our bellies, so back to the berth. There, we did manage to shake hands with a few old Buddies, and meet one or two new ones, before sneaking off to chow down. Although the intent was to return to the site and join in the ongoing festivities, the 4:00 am jump start had most of us right bagged, so we decided to leave the play to those already at it, and enjoyed a very early eve (what???). aYup, down for the count by 10:30 [xx(]

The next day began early, down to the boat with the first glimmer of light, and very shortly we joined with the many sets of lights streaking to the grounds. Saturday was a brilliant day, weather-wise, fish-wise and Fun-Wise! Barely even a ripple on the water, and the threatening rains actually gave way to sunshine from time to time through the day! Not at all what we all recall from Chumly Daze years past! And the fish were more than cooperative! Only a few doubles or more for us, but the very active single hits kept us not only dancing, but as they seemed to prefer attacking one at a time, most were skillfully led boatside, then either released or joined their silver buddies in the hold. On the water, we saw and chatted with many many buddies, all openly wondeering "what happened to you guys last night?" Playing safe (perhaps amongst a first for me) was the right choice! Clear heads, and focused effort paid off! No Worries Folks, we WILL be there tonight!!! And of course the fish were cooperating for the vast majority in the know. We witnessed many many Fire Drills on neighboring rigs, and the gales of laughter rang out loudly nearly non-stop all day! Sweet!

All to soon, we had landed our fair share, and so ran back to the weigh-in. No contenders for us, all though we did have a decent aggregate or two. Largest that day ran 19 1/4 pounds, and for a moment, I thought it likely I had the smallest at 6 1/2 pounds...
Then we decided to make the rounds, and visit with those we had so sadly neglected the eve before. Apparently the festivities of the night before were far to much for most, for dispite casting about for the Usual Suspects for an hour or two, alas, none were to be found (sleeping already you Wimps??) Only a little dissapointed in our failed efforts, we wandered back up to the luxurious cabin SteelHeader had arranged, and enjoyed another fine evening sipping the Good Stuff around a roaring fire.[^]

Overnight the rains came back with a vengeance! Twice I awoke to the roar of sky-water pounding off the shingled roof, and I feared the coming morning's impending soaking...
But, it broke somewhat and held off until we had wandered through the chop and out to the grounds. Even let us tag a fish or two before the skies parted, and down she came in sheets so thick we wondered openly whether we could evolve gills fast enough to survive! Now, THIS</u> is much more reminicent of what we all recall for Chumly Weather! Guess it simply wouldn't be the same without it! Dispite the 300% humidity and choppy seas, we did manage to dredge up more than a handfull of fish! SteelHeader's sneaky new terminal outfished all of the old reliables at the start, and indeed gave us quite the jumpstart on the day! Then, just as they slowed off, the oldies kicked into gear, and once again we shortly realized our holds were overflowing. That morn I decided to give the right to fight chiefly to our crew, while I safely huddled under the canopy of our fine rig. Twasn't til the very end when a triple went off that I chose to rise and give battle. Super powerfull runs greeted me to the fray, four runs so strong I swore it was the Lost Spring! Now, I can count on one hand the number of fish I've LL released this year, so perhaps overconfidence was running a tad too strong through my viens. We did get a couple of decent looks at this brute, and all of us realized we finally had our Contender! But alas it was not to be. Less than 20 feet from the boat, fish now tired and tamed and simply sliding in on it's side, the hook simply let go. WTF? No movement on the part of the fish, simply there one moment, and the next hanging just outside of our reach while he recouperated for a few minutes. Oh well, there's always next year!!

At the weigh-in and following cerimonies, we made up some lost time and chatted with many we hadn't had the opportunity to as yet. Then, one by one our Buddies wandered off, leaving us to haul the boat, and slowly set off towards home. Just outside of Brown's Bay, a deer decided to attack SteelHeader's truck, a large heavy duty four by four. Needless to say, the deer lost it's battle with truck and trailer, but thankfully did little in the way of damage while doing so. The balance of the trip was uneventfull, at least as far as I could determine through slumbering eyes... LOL!

So, all in all, another Very Fine Show! Total landed weight was over 9,000 pounds of chumlies weighed in! Wow! Now THAT's a switch from last year!! Didn't recognize the first and second place winners, but our buddy AltaKen did indeed take third (Congrats Buddy!), and many of our folks tagged hidden weights and draw prizes. Sweet!
The new owners are making some positive changes: the ramp is undergoing some badly needed revitalization for next year, the beer gardens were a fine idea, albiet a tad cool for the weather. All in all, a First Rate Performance from these new Folks! And now they know what they're in for next year, betcha it gets even better!!

Final Notes:
- To the Fellow who attempted to snitch the new decal I gave Milo and Tad off their ride: Shoddy Lad![B)]
- To myself for bringing the camera... sans batteries (still in the charger at home): Sometimers is getting more like Most-Of-The-Timers - now try to remember</u> that! [:eek:)]
- To my most excellent crew & skipper: Kudos Gentz! You surely did make the experience One to Remember! Couldn't have asked for a better bunch, nor a better time!
- To those that hid from us Saturday eve: Next year! It's Coming!!!
- To the organizers of this fine event: More Kudos! The FUN was certainly well appreciated!
- To those that attended and enjoyed: Excellent Time had by All! Certainly great you all could make it, and make the show as fine as it was!
- To those that didn't make it: Better start planning for next year! Sell Out Crowd FOR A REASON!! Likely to be so again next fall, so get your tickets early!
- To My Escape: Excellent job leading the charge Buddy!
- Finally to myself: Don't worry about losing the biggest one of the Derby! It's why they call it fishing (little consolation there). But I have decided to stick with this show until I do manage to place in the top three... and then to return the following year!!!

So now, all those chromers are being turned into a mountain of Salmoneroni!! As for me, a few more nights of decent sleep, and maybe, just MAYBE I'll feel somewhat "normal" again...;)

Cheers,
Nog

PS: Some decent pix on this post from Milo: http://fishbcforum.com/index.php?showtopic=47656

After a couple nights of recovery, finally filing the report:D

Overall the Chumly Show was once again a serious amount of FUN! More than enough fish to go around this year (why I believe even RoeBags might have caught them if he had showed ) and even with the usual high-grading that goes along with Derby Daze, our crew eneded up dragging home possession limits of absolute chrome all round :D

Friday, SteelHeader and I wandered up-Island dragging his Hunting Machine that was destined to be our Home for the next 3 days. Things were kinda quiet when we arrived early, with the exception of My Escape already considering leading the next charge [^]
Out on The Pond for a brief survey... aYup! They're Here!! In something a little less than an hour, we had landed five (releasing a few) and fought seven. Then it was time to run back to the marina, and pick up the balance of our crew. Milo & Tad were in fine spirits, and eager to test the water themselves. So with no further delay, we did just that. The Ladz proved themselves up to the challenge, and indeed managed to land everything that was hooked for the balance of the afternoon. Hunger pains finally began to gnaw at our bellies, so back to the berth. There, we did manage to shake hands with a few old Buddies, and meet one or two new ones, before sneaking off to chow down. Although the intent was to return to the site and join in the ongoing festivities, the 4:00 am jump start had most of us right bagged, so we decided to leave the play to those already at it, and enjoyed a very early eve (what???). aYup, down for the count by 10:30 [xx(]

The next day began early, down to the boat with the first glimmer of light, and very shortly we joined with the many sets of lights streaking to the grounds. Saturday was a brilliant day, weather-wise, fish-wise and Fun-Wise! Barely even a ripple on the water, and the threatening rains actually gave way to sunshine from time to time through the day! Not at all what we all recall from Chumly Daze years past! And the fish were more than cooperative! Only a few doubles or more for us, but the very active single hits kept us not only dancing, but as they seemed to prefer attacking one at a time, most were skillfully led boatside, then either released or joined their silver buddies in the hold. On the water, we saw and chatted with many many buddies, all openly wondeering "what happened to you guys last night?" Playing safe (perhaps amongst a first for me) was the right choice! Clear heads, and focused effort paid off! No Worries Folks, we WILL be there tonight!!! And of course the fish were cooperating for the vast majority in the know. We witnessed many many Fire Drills on neighboring rigs, and the gales of laughter rang out loudly nearly non-stop all day! Sweet!

All to soon, we had landed our fair share, and so ran back to the weigh-in. No contenders for us, all though we did have a decent aggregate or two. Largest that day ran 19 1/4 pounds, and for a moment, I thought it likely I had the smallest at 6 1/2 pounds...
Then we decided to make the rounds, and visit with those we had so sadly neglected the eve before. Apparently the festivities of the night before were far to much for most, for dispite casting about for the Usual Suspects for an hour or two, alas, none were to be found (sleeping already you Wimps??) Only a little dissapointed in our failed efforts, we wandered back up to the luxurious cabin SteelHeader had arranged, and enjoyed another fine evening sipping the Good Stuff around a roaring fire.[^]

Overnight the rains came back with a vengeance! Twice I awoke to the roar of sky-water pounding off the shingled roof, and I feared the coming morning's impending soaking...
But, it broke somewhat and held off until we had wandered through the chop and out to the grounds. Even let us tag a fish or two before the skies parted, and down she came in sheets so thick we wondered openly whether we could evolve gills fast enough to survive! Now, THIS</u> is much more reminicent of what we all recall for Chumly Weather! Guess it simply wouldn't be the same without it! Dispite the 300% humidity and choppy seas, we did manage to dredge up more than a handfull of fish! SteelHeader's sneaky new terminal outfished all of the old reliables at the start, and indeed gave us quite the jumpstart on the day! Then, just as they slowed off, the oldies kicked into gear, and once again we shortly realized our holds were overflowing. That morn I decided to give the right to fight chiefly to our crew, while I safely huddled under the canopy of our fine rig. Twasn't til the very end when a triple went off that I chose to rise and give battle. Super powerfull runs greeted me to the fray, four runs so strong I swore it was the Lost Spring! Now, I can count on one hand the number of fish I've LL released this year, so perhaps overconfidence was running a tad too strong through my viens. We did get a couple of decent looks at this brute, and all of us realized we finally had our Contender! But alas it was not to be. Less than 20 feet from the boat, fish now tired and tamed and simply sliding in on it's side, the hook simply let go. WTF? No movement on the part of the fish, simply there one moment, and the next hanging just outside of our reach while he recouperated for a few minutes. Oh well, there's always next year!!

At the weigh-in and following cerimonies, we made up some lost time and chatted with many we hadn't had the opportunity to as yet. Then, one by one our Buddies wandered off, leaving us to haul the boat, and slowly set off towards home. Just outside of Brown's Bay, a deer decided to attack SteelHeader's truck, a large heavy duty four by four. Needless to say, the deer lost it's battle with truck and trailer, but thankfully did little in the way of damage while doing so. The balance of the trip was uneventfull, at least as far as I could determine through slumbering eyes... LOL!

So, all in all, another Very Fine Show! Total landed weight was over 9,000 pounds of chumlies weighed in! Wow! Now THAT's a switch from last year!! Didn't recognize the first and second place winners, but our buddy AltaKen did indeed take third (Congrats Buddy!), and many of our folks tagged hidden weights and draw prizes. Sweet!
The new owners are making some positive changes: the ramp is undergoing some badly needed revitalization for next year, the beer gardens were a fine idea, albiet a tad cool for the weather. All in all, a First Rate Performance from these new Folks! And now they know what they're in for next year, betcha it gets even better!!

Final Notes:
- To the Fellow who attempted to snitch the new decal I gave Milo and Tad off their ride: Shoddy Lad![B)]
- To myself for bringing the camera... sans batteries (still in the charger at home): Sometimers is getting more like Most-Of-The-Timers - now try to remember</u> that! [:eek:)]
- To my most excellent crew & skipper: Kudos Gentz! You surely did make the experience One to Remember! Couldn't have asked for a better bunch, nor a better time!
- To those that hid from us Saturday eve: Next year! It's Coming!!!
- To the organizers of this fine event: More Kudos! The FUN was certainly well appreciated!
- To those that attended and enjoyed: Excellent Time had by All! Certainly great you all could make it, and make the show as fine as it was!
- To those that didn't make it: Better start planning for next year! Sell Out Crowd FOR A REASON!! Likely to be so again next fall, so get your tickets early!
- To My Escape: Excellent job leading the charge Buddy!
- Finally to myself: Don't worry about losing the biggest one of the Derby! It's why they call it fishing (little consolation there). But I have decided to stick with this show until I do manage to place in the top three... and then to return the following year!!!

So now, all those chromers are being turned into a mountain of Salmoneroni!! As for me, a few more nights of decent sleep, and maybe, just MAYBE I'll feel somewhat "normal" again...;)

Cheers,
Nog

PS: Some decent pix on this post from Milo: http://fishbcforum.com/index.php?showtopic=47656

Sounds like fun was had by all.Did you take any pics kev??[8D]

Word is that there are limits still being taken at Browns bay. A friend was out yesterday 8 in the bucket in 4 hrs.

The “word” is right. Just got back (Friday). The bite was in the am and we limited out in an hour. Freezer is full from last weekend so we released them all. They seem to be bigger too. All in all I think we (2 of us) got from 20 to 25 to the boat with double and triple-headers. All the action was in Plumber Bay and into the channel back trolling towards Brown’s Bay. Not very many boats out but all were doing very well. The weather was sunny and no wind. Standard Chum gear worked for us. Morning was the bottom gear (60 ft) then late morning it was the top gear (30 ft). Best Chum fishing to date for me. GLG

Back