Braided Downrigger line

Okay, I'm going to object to the "considerably more stretch" comment. Depending on the specific line you are using you have 1-5% stretch with a braid so we are only talking about a few feet and it's going to be a constant amount once the line is under load.

I fished all winter with the 200 Powerpro and have no complaits. Dredged bottom hard and not a hangup. DR counters were accurate for me? Stretch was not noticable with over 200 feeet out at times. I know that i won't look back at stainless anytime soon.

quote:Originally posted by Tailspin

I fished all winter with the 200 Powerpro and have no complaits. Dredged bottom hard and not a hangup. DR counters were accurate for me? Stretch was not noticable with over 200 feeet out at times. I know that i won't look back at stainless anytime soon.

Ditto everything Tailspin said. 200lb Power Pro is the way to go. I used to lose a couple balls a winter boucing bottom with stainless. I haven't lost even one ball using the braid over the last 2 winters.

quote:Originally posted by codfather

The down side to the braided line is if you fell into the black box trap and bought one, your SOL. The box does nothing now that the braided line does not conduct power. I never fell into that trap so I think the braided line is the greatest thing since sliced bread. No more rusted line half way thru the season which would cause cannon balls to drop to the bottom. There is more drag at 150 feet than the old steel line, so you will have more angle on your downriggers.

The Codfather
Black box trap... agreed.

Back