Braided Downrigger line

S

scoopy

Hi All,

I just switched to braided line on both my downriggers. If this stuff always performs like it did today, I will never switch back to SS. Does this line have a downside or is it really as good as it seems?

I added the trolling snubbers to my set up so I don't know if the line itself is bouncy...

I have two new Scotty 1106 downriggers that I haven't installed yet. Of course, they come with stainless steel line. Can you tell me why you like the braided line so much scoopy?

Just switched over also. 1 trip so far and no problems.
Do you find it throws off your counter though?
At deeper depths it seemed less accurate maybe due to the diameter.

Tips

Doing the math, the delta that the diameter of the line makes in length is less than an inch over 200', so you'd better look to another source for your depth problems - speed, current, wind, beers :)

If you whack bottom I do think the balls bounce a bit more with the line rather than the cable as the line has less memory than the cable but I think that's a GOOD thing as I'd rather have the ball bounce than drag and hang up.

Braided line on downriggers is good all around.

WHAT ABOUT VOLTAGE??????CAN SEE YOU GUYS NOW IF YOU DONT GET BIG SPRINGS IN THE SUMMER VOLTAGE TOO LOW!!!!!!!lol lol[8D][8D]

You know what it for sure throws of the counter becaus ever since i put it on i have had to compensate by ten to twenty feet with the sounder when fisshin in lik90 to 150ft it drives me nuts,I just about lost my stuff yesterday sounder said 160 I had the downrigger down 145 and i waas hooking up to the bottom

Been running the braided Scotty Line since it first came out and have never had a problem with it in any source. Lots of bottom bouncing to and it's great...

Hey Farny, are you sure that your transducer is level to the bottom. If it was out just a little bit in deep water it would make quite a difference..... SS

Hey don't forget the fact that with braided less resistance more depth. The wire at 160 is not even close to that yet the braided is.

been using it for 2 1/2 seasons.....no issues never go back...make sure to use the red stopper clips as the old ones (yellow & black) will slip up the line ....the red ones are for use with the braided line only.....when a big fish hits the release clips can also slide up quite a ways .......put one red stopper just above any release clip and solves this as well...snubbers are a must especially when bottom bouncing as the new line will slip over the spool and get tangled underneath...either have a third deep line ready to go when this happens or get to know your downrigger teardown procedure...it takes some time to get it up and running once it gets under the spool....

Hey tiki,

I like it because it cannot kink, and it has less drag than SS. so far so good! I was out again today and it performed perfectly. (didn't catch anything though)

Once you switch from s/s you will never go back. I started running it over 2 years ago when the guys from Scotty spooled up my riggers to let me give it a try. I used to go through 6 to 8 cannon balls a season, mostly because the s/s wire would break from over use. I also had to re-spool the wire twice a season. With braided no more of that, and its a major savings when the cannon balls are now $30 each.

One of the ways you can stop the snubbers from sliding up is to use a red Scotty stopper above it. Sometimes they too slide up, so you can stop that by either doubling up with 2 stoppers or super glue them in place. Another tip, if you find the rubber scotty snubbers to be breaking on you, go to the commercial fishing supply store and buy the commercial troller version - they are twice as strong as the stuff they sell in the tackle stores.

And what is the procedure for spooling braid searun? I certainly do not want to start losing my new vinyl coated 12.5 pound with fin cannon balls if I don't have to.

I just spooled mine on using the electrics of the downrigger and holding the line spool fairly tightly with my thumb. I then went into deep water and raised/lowered the balls from 300' about eight times. The first 4-5 times I had some line sticking(as the braided hung up in the more loosly wrapped lower layers) and then after that I've never had any problems. Smooths drops and retrieves every time.

The down side to the braided line is if you fell into the black box trap and bought one, your SOL. The box does nothing now that the braided line does not conduct power. I never fell into that trap so I think the braided line is the greatest thing since sliced bread. No more rusted line half way thru the season which would cause cannon balls to drop to the bottom. There is more drag at 150 feet than the old steel line, so you will have more angle on your downriggers.

The Codfather

Howdy,

Anyone ever figure that braided line has considerably more stretch than steel line?

Geez... maybe that's why we're hitting the fuggin' bottom so much.

Cheers,
Terry

Back