boat shelter

It was $6-7000 in 2006. It covers 22'L x 20'W x 12'H. L and W are selectable. W has an engineering max.

It seems like a lot, but we had just spent way too much rebuilding and re-powering our Hourston. The shelter has dramatically reduced the maintenance on the boat, and has prolonged the life of the canvas dodger - 20 years this year.
Looks great.. I'd just have to work on the neighbors..

Looks great.. I'd just have to work on the neighbors..
Legally its a "temporary structure", so you don't have to follow municipal setbacks. The neighbours like it, because its the backup location for the block BBQ, in case of rain. Fortunately I installed it when the closest house was a college rental - nobody cared. And when the current occupants bought that house, it was already part of the landscape. :cool:

Looks good. What dimensions and make is it?
It’s a Shelter Logic. I bought it at Costco. It’s 24’x12’. It’a on a 3’pony wall to make it high enough to get my radar tower underneath. I think I need just over 12’ to get the boat in under the front entrance. It has the more heavy duty cover now as I changed original after 3 years.

Legally its a "temporary structure", so you don't have to follow municipal setbacks. The neighbours like it, because its the backup location for the block BBQ, in case of rain. Fortunately I installed it when the closest house was a college rental - nobody cared. And when the current occupants bought that house, it was already part of the landscape. :cool:
Interesting.. good to know

I know the post was calling for cloth shelters. This is my 2 cents about metal shelters. The picture shows one of many configurations - they can be customized to length and height, with a number of colour choices. I bought this in 2006, and have done zero maintenance, except for power-washing the roof. They have a demo shelter near Elk Lake on Hwy 17 from Victoria to the ferry.
I think they’re made in Abbotsford or Chilliwack , Jaw something , you build em however tall wide long you want

I am planning to install a boat shelter this year and have been researching over the holiday break. Have looked at the fabric covered shelter options but leaning to the portable metal cover designs. Essentially over the long term i think this will be better bang for the buck. Also really don't want the hassle of replacing fabric covers every 3 years. Portable JAW Building https://jawportablebuildings.com seem to have a good product range to choose from. At this point leaning to a 12'W x 21D x 7'H design. Should nicely accommodate my 16' Double Eagle.

I got my portable dome shelter in 2012, and still on original top. All in I am maybe 750.00-800.00 most including the retrofit I did in my portable shelter to make it taller. This summer I will probably replace top. They are only 200.00 at most.

Price wise can't justify cost of metal. It would be 4-5 k plus especially with material prices right now. They are nice but I like flexibility of being able to tear it down if I need too.

material prices right now.

I just bought 2 pieces of half inch steel plate (12 inch by 36 inch) from metal mart 600 bucks.

we also use big dome shelters at work for storage the tents seem to need to be reskinned about every 10 years.

edit oppst 12 inch by 36 inch

Last edited:
I just bought 2 pieces of half inch steel plate (12 inch by 3 inch) from metal mart 600 bucks.

we also use big dome shelters at work for storage the tents seem to need to be reskinned about every 10 years.

Yeah metal mart is typically 4 x steel price. But yes it will effect those steel shelters for sure now.

I wish metal prices would drop but I don't think they will.

I just bought 2 pieces of half inch steel plate (12 inch by 36 inch) from metal mart 600 bucks.

edit oppst 12 inch by 36 inch
Ouch. Last piece I bought from them was 2 years ago and measured 16”x16”x1/2” and was $85. I thought that was pricey.

Ouch. Last piece I bought from them was 2 years ago and measured 16”x16”x1/2” and was $85. I thought that was pricey.

It's brutal right now I am up 60% from this time last year with the steel wholesalers. I wouldn't want to be in aluminum boat building business.

haha don't get be started i bought a stainless steel countertop that was 6 feet long like 7 years ago from them and it was 550 and i got them to bend it for a back and a fount.

i only used them in the last minuity cant wait use the Pcard. Otherwise its PO with different vendors.

haha don't get be started i bought a stainless steel countertop that was 6 feet long like 7 years ago from them and it was 550 and i got them to bend it for a back and a fount.

i only used them in the last minuity cant wait use the Pcard. Otherwise its PO with different vendors.

I bought a 16ga 4x8, and it was $200.00 few months ago for weird side project. Still that sheet was under $150.00 this time last year. Anyway is what it is.

Back