Bleeding Trailer Brakes

profisher

I'm servicing the brakes on my boat trailer and found a couple of the Kodiac brand calipers have seized after only two years...not impressed as the original UFP's went 8 years before I had one seize and decided to buy complete Kodiac kits. Anyway bought two new Titan calipers and replacing the brake lines/fittings from the calipers or distribution boxes. I've always had a ***** of a time trying to bleed the system to 100% satisfaction. When the trailer was new if the back up solenoid was disconnected....trailer empty and on level ground the brakes would engage and you could not back up. Never like that after brakes replaced. I've ordered a compressed air driven vacuum bleeder from SG Power and will have it in a week. Anyone tried one of these with good success? I have a hand pump one which sucks.

When I installed disk brakes on my trailer I tried a vacuum bleeder but without success. I ended up using a clear jar and a clear hose to bleed the brakes. I did it alone and it wasn't that difficult. Two people would be way faster. When there is no power to the solenoid and I try to back up the wheels on the trailer lock-up. Good luck.

Are you running a surge actuator or electric over hydraulic? To bleed my electric over hydraulic I just pull the break-away cord so the brakes are fully engaged then crack and bleed each brake. That sucks to hear your Kodiaks seized up after only 2 years. I installed SS Kodiaks and have a way higher expectation than 2 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They are surge and way to time consuming to try and bleed by activating the actuator...especially when the trailer is empty...I have no way here to hold it in place so it won't move. I didn't buy SS calipers figuring if I got 5 years with the much cheaper coated ones (which I should get) then just toss them and buy another set....big difference between $89.00 each and $340 each. I can buy 3 sets for the same price.

Link your safety chains together and use a 5 foot piece of 2x4. You put the end through the chains and push against the surge actuator, works great.

How do you pull the actuator back out again? Mine is a larger actuator and not easy to move in and out unless the boat is on the trailer.

If yours has a breakaway cable you can put a piece of pipe on the lever the cable attaches to and pump the lever back and forth to bleed the brakes. Then you are not moving the whole actuator. TF

I think the smaller units move back and forth much easier than the bigger ones...mine is rated at 8000 pounds. Takes a bit to move it in and out and why it is a pain. The emergency break away lever may be an option thou.

On my actuator I take off the brake oil filler cap and there is a lever inside the actuator I pump with a flat bladed screw driver which pumps the oil through the system.

I put wheel chocks behind the wheels and used my tow vehicle to backup and pull ahead to cycle the actuator. Worked great for bleeding the system.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back