boat trailer actuator

wagonmaster

I mentioned in a previous post that I am having a problem with my trailer brakes locking up. I have had the brake system redone in the last two years including new backing plates, bearing kits, hub and drum assembly etc. but the problem remains. Can a malfunctioning actuator cause the brakes to seize up? Thinking of having the whole system redone again using disc brakes, but I don't want to spend another $2000 if the present brakes are not the problem. (Road Runner for 18ft. Campion).

I mentioned in a previous post that I am having a problem with my trailer brakes locking up. I have had the brake system redone in the last two years including new backing plates, bearing kits, hub and drum assembly etc. but the problem remains. Can a malfunctioning actuator cause the brakes to seize up? Thinking of having the whole system redone again using disc brakes, but I don't want to spend another $2000 if the present brakes are not the problem. (Road Runner for 18ft. Campion).
Does the problem persist even when you re-locate the locking pin? I have a brake lockup problem when reversing unless I re-locate the locking pin on my surge brakes.

I cannot give you a definite answer on this but I have a 25 foot bayliner on a Seahawk trailer with electric over hydraulic brakes, I most commonly have one brake lock up when I back the boat into my storage building and leave it for awhile, I have discovered that when I back the trailer in it works to just pull the trailer forward again just a foot or so that seems to usually stop the problem. Also do the same thing after launching the boat and parking the trailer. Not always works, Your not the only one with this problem, my buddy who has disc brakes on his trailer has the same issue from time to time, so what causes this maybe someone has an idea but I just live with it. It seems that I can usually break the sticking brake free with just some movement back and forth

Back