Biggest Salmon you ever caught???

42.5 Alberni Canal way back when.
Had a bigger one on also but it stole the hook from the Tomic Plug.
Hey,was a guided trip and not my fault.lol

41 lbs off of Wash Rock just down from Maquinna Point in mid July of 2000 , 29ft on a chrome head anchovy set up and behind a red hot spot flasher.

AL

One of the best stories of my life. So here it goes.

It was my second fishing trip to Vancouver Island for fishing - The Stamp River, the previous year was Bamfield. We had been catching fish all weekend long (up to 30 lber's) and lot's of guys at the same pool. It was the last day of our 3 day trip, and of course, we had to leave, but I had convinced my cousing that we can't go till I get "just one more".

So, down goes the float, I set the hook, and my girlfriend ask's to let her 6yr old daughter bring it in. No problem I say. The girl gets in front of me and I put the rod in her hands while I still have my hands "cradled around her" and "just in case". So, she gets the rod, and without adjusting her weight or moving her feet (she's square to the fish) she starts "falling forward" from the weight. We all started laughing so hard, I fell over with the rod in one hand while she fall to the rocks and in shock.

So, I get up, start fighting the fish. It heads down river, stopping all the guys from fishing for a bit (I was at the top of the pool). They started to get ticked when I wouldn't just break it off. After about 10 minutes, I got it turned around and it starts to head up river. Went a couple hundred yards up river to where the river got really wide. The fish stayed there for some time when we decided that I just couldn't move it from where we were.

So, cousin says, "just break it off and lets go!" So, I tried too - not! awwwww I say, it won't break off. He decided that he was going to help me to he goes to the truck to get some waders. He gets back and I hand him the rod and I put the waders on. I swear he tried to loose it a couple times cause when I got the rod back, there was a freaking birds nest on the level wind - what a d***.

So, I let all kinds of line out, untangle and get back on the fish. I swear i should have lost this fish 3x over already, but it was still there. I wade to the other side of the river (about 100' in 3' of water) and when I get over there, I get my first look at it. We got this part of video, a big, massive black shadow is all I saw, and it was only then did I realize that this could be a trophy.

After about another 10 minutes, I got it out of the big current and it starts swimming around me. With a 9' rod and 12' leader I was really starting to panic, I promised myself if it gets of, I'm dumping the rod and swimming for this thing. I don't know if I would have had a chance at it or not, but I would have tried. He was definatley tired at this point, but swimming only a foot away from me gave the inclination that I could do it.

I start walking back to shore triing desperately to keep the line tight (used the current alot). Then finally, both of us exhausted, and him just on the edge of the bank, we dive to push it up onto the shore.

The fish was a big buck, a little dark (I didn't care). I was so freakin excited!!! I had the biggest smile when I carring the biggest salmone I'd ever caught down the river bank past all the other guys. We trophy cleaned it, took a few pics, and put it in the cooler.

Now it's on my wall. (Gander's does a fantastic job.) Not as big as some I know, but a trophy for me that I am, and always will be very proud of. So here are the specifics: weighed in at just over 50 lbs. (with no guts) Caught mid September at the Stamp River (over 15 yrs ago) on 10lb test, Gammy red barbless hook with Roe & white wool.

Now, 15 yrs later, I live on the Island, been fishing the outside for last 3 years and am now triing to catch one over 30.

I'm sure this year I'll get a tyee. And to those who have yet to catch a lunker, Good Luck. It's an awesome adventure!!!!

For me, it's the excitement of getting ready, then getting out there and getting them on the line.

Here's hoping you too can get a "one in a lifetime fish"!!!!

Funny enough I was trolling and not stinging. Right off the nose of Hoiss Point we got inside of a boat between him and the rocks, how I don`t know but that was card I was dealt. I trolled as close as I dared all the time backing off the throttle to let him get far enough ahead so I could cut across his stern. He almost seemed to slow down as well and was starting to really pee me off so I put it in neutral let the lines drop a bit then said screw it and put it in forward and cut right behind him half hoping I would hook him up so I could give him a good blast but noooooo as soon as the lines picked up mine went nuts, at first I thought frik bottom and hes going to get a good laugh now but it kept running. Long story short 37 1/5 in the boat and held it high when we caught him going the other way and we yelled thanks he gave us the finger.

A couple of 40's and a few 30's in sooke. lot's of 30's in Nootka.Did have a fish on for over a hour off otter years ago, never did see it. In my younger day's lot's of bigger fish realeased from nitnat.(i don't think they count) Darren from island outfitters played a fish (Q.C)for hrs a few years back. There was a story in the paper i think, Talked to him about it(sore spot) he said the guide seen the fish and it probally would have been a record.

32# August, 2007, Sooke,, Muir Creek to be more precise..

IMG_1066.jpg

Hey profisher, bumped into an old Gary Cooper fishing show last night when zapping through the channels (~ 11:30- PM on Chek) from 1990 when you fished with Gary at Possession Pt in a 16' Lifetimer (I think it was Gary's boat). Had a good laugh about your long hair, Gary's slim body and Gary's tail-gloving job of a 22 lbs spring that you played. Great show!

Not a Salmon, But came across a picture of this Monster my brother and I released a few years ago.

[i
DSCN0644.jpg
mg][/img]

I remember a big one lost many years back off Flemming when I was a little kid. The old man played it out for close to an hour. This masive spring laid on it's side played rite out just off the boat and puked out an incandescent cloud of digested herring. It was well over 50#. He said to my mother "ok net it" she froze in fear. Then folowed a lot of colorful verbal encuragment from my farther, for mom to net the phucen fish. She was scared the fish would pull her overboard as soon as it was in the net. So the old man drops the rod, grabs the net out of her hands, fish darts into the leg and gone. I didn't learn what some of those words were until high school, nor seen a salmon that big since.

Craig

Ok, some are having fun here:D

Mine was a 33# in Caamano Sound a few years ago with St. Johns Fishing Lodge and a couple of 30# after that and one 28 back in 97 in Nootka.

This year will be different & BIGGER.........I can feel it already

my largest is 62lbs out of renfrew got it on a 6in 232plug great fight hit so hard i told the guest this one's over 40 for sure.
Biggest sooke fish is 49.5 i caught that one the day after pro fisher got his 52 in the same spot.Got many over 50 when in the qci's,and got a 52 in gold river about 10yrs back.

quote:Originally posted by Bear Cove

Will never forget my biggest, about 7am Aug 4th 2008 Spider Island. Dragging cut plugs on 12 foot Rogue rods with a good buddy Dexter Wham, a 68lb takes the plug like a freight train, an hour later and thoughts of it not fitting in the net she is laying on the deck, measured 52 x 32. Heading back there again this year to try and hunt another one down.

Cheers,

www.bearcovecottages.ca
Port Hardy BC
Canada

Was that from the 60 #er hole? I went up there last for my first time. Will be going up again hopefully August 4-11.

My biggest fish was 38#s on a cut plug caught last year at the head of Rivers Inlet. Plan on going back this year to get a bigger one.

Long story short 37 1/5 in the boat and held it high when we caught him going the other way and we yelled thanks he gave us the finger

Stinger...I love that, gotta love the cannal
Getbent:D

Saanack,

It was somewhere up there. My last morning up there this year is going to be the 5th of August. Leaving Hardy the 31st of July. Give me a call when you are up there or look for my boat, 25 Grady Sailfish with my company name of the side. Always a coldy ready

www.bearcovecottages.ca
Port Hardy BC
Canada

Most of my salmon fishing (we, just about all!) is in the Fraser River..... Two big ones over the last half dozen years..... on just over 50, one last year at 48...... both whites!

Mike

Chris, that show has re-run so many times over the years. I did that show between 1989 & 1991 when I had a new 17 ft Double Eagle. Wish I still had all that hair now.

Biggest fish for me was a 62.55 lb white spring. I took it into Island Outfitter to verify the weight and with it being the largest of the year, IO provided me a MR2 and a $650 rod. What a score.

It was a foggy day in late Aug and my charter cancelled the day before, so for a change I went fishing for myself. Luckily it was the right spot at the right time.

I caught it at Otter Point and the same day 3 other guys I know got fish over 50 lb at the same location.

The fish was 48" long with a girth of 35". I plastic rapped it and froze it hole on a plank read for mounting. It was perfect and not even a scale was missing.

The sad part of catching this record fish is. I gave the fish to Mike Moss to mount for me and it disappeared to be never seen again. Luckily I got my deposit back after a lot of letter wirting to MC.

Don't deal with Mike, since my problem I've received 4 other calls from guys experiencing the same problem. But they haven't got a fish or a deposit (all $700+) back.

Next time (if there will be one) I'll run a legal check on the guy I give my trophy too. I learned allot about Mike once I ran a check on him.

Let's Go Fishing!
Doug
D&D Fishing Charters

FYI, you don't need the fish to have a beautiful mount made up. all you need is accurate measurements, length and girth in front of the dorsal, and some clear photos so the color can be matched. if you actually have the skin mounted, ever seen it after it turns black?, you are going to have a airbrushed mount anyway, so save the bother, get the photos to a quality shop and hang'ur up.

Nootka 5 years ago I think...last morning and I was one fish short of my limit...it had to be over 77cm to be a keeper as I recall. I was more interested in experimenting with different lures etc. than actually catching a fish so I tied on a honkin big purple haze plug and started following the shoreline between Hoiss and Critter Cove....just got the downrigger down and Wham!...a 42 lber hit so hard I though my reel would burn out...8" longer than my fish box (Yes - I kept him!)!

Back