Best trolling rod

Ruff

We recently purchased my father in law a new islander for his birthday and am looking to pair it with a really nice rod. I'm looking for something in the medium/moderate range. I was going to go with a Loomis but was told they only make the heavy weight rods now. I run HMX's and have never had a complaint so I'm torn between getting him one or going with a Sage rod custom built by Bryan Babcock. Is there other rods I should be considering??

Why not pair it with an islander Rod?

I have to give a vote to the Fenwick HMX. I've been loving their lightweight sensitivity.

Amundson Saavy Sumo . Salesman got my attention when he took the point of the rod, buried it into the showroom carpet and proceeded to fold it almost in half. I find it considerably beefier than a fen wick hmx. Not always a good thing I suppose

Depends on how you fight a Salmon. I prefer a "mooching" style rod as the shorter distance from the reel to the butt makes it easier to raise the rod above my head while still reeling when the fish runs at you & you gotta take-up slack ASAP. If your more of a "bury the butt in the belly & grunt it out" type then a longer distance between the butt & reel gives more leverage. I never "pump" Salmon; I let the rod bending do all the hard work. Shimano Technium 10'6" moocher in med-heavy does it for me.

anybody seen/used Archetype 10'6" rod ?
Alpine selling for $300

60265087_934.jpg

Last edited:
Amundson Saavy Sumo . Salesman got my attention when he took the point of the rod, buried it into the showroom carpet and proceeded to fold it almost in half. I find it considerably beefier than a fen wick hmx. Not always a good thing I suppose

X2
For trolling off a rigger
cant beat the price either

I have beefier rods, but as long as they don't break I always enjoy sensitive rods. It's nice to see the little movements of the tip. And you can't beat the price.
But I definitely the get attraction of heavy equipment

I had a custom 10'6 Rainshadow moocher tied up this spring by a friend in Chilliwack, and its unreal. Its a medium heavy 10-25 but so sensitive. Bends deep but lots of strength to handle hot fish. Worth every penny and its totally custom.

Loomis makes a gl2 in a 6-12, 8-12, 10-20 if your looking for light to medium ...
I just checked their website and saw the same thing. The 10-20 moocher is what I was originally looking for. Not sure why my local tackle shop said they were discontinued. I'll have to give them a call tomorrow and follow up.
Thanks for the heads up.

^^^ X3.

I find the Aumndson's more sensitive than the HMX's. I switched from the HMX to Amundson and don't regret it one bit.

Love my Loomis GL2 but all my other rods are Med/Heavy Techniums and I love them. I bury line in the clips and have them corked over in holders so I prefer the MedHeavys for that. Find having them torqued down makes it easier seeing bites when fishing deep.

anybody seen/used Archetype 10'6" rod ?
Alpine selling for $300

60265087_934.jpg

Scott, Archetype is a Canadian Company, they build their rods in BC.

Steve Yakamovich (Ocean Rambler), and Adrian O'Conner (Reel Obsession Sport Fishing) are pro staff team members for Archetype Rods and that's all they use.

Steve has made comments on them on his Facebook page. Check that out.

Cheers.

Back