Wanted : Mooching / Trolling rods

ship happens

I'm the market for 4 rods. Been using our custom built MHX rods for so long and guys keep ******* them up so I'm done with custom rods. Rod supplies are getting really expensive now and looking for rods with long carbon butt sections, 10'6, stainless eyelets without inserts, aluminum reel seats.. that sorta thing. Do they exist without spending a grand each?

Mucho thanks in advance

Last edited:
Ask @Derby about the Kufa rods from PNT. I have techniums but a buddy bought some thru Deryk. I do like them as well and they were under $100 when my buddy bought them a few years back.

Thanks. Yeah I have an account with PNT, have the Shimano mooching rods and had them all I don't like them whatsoever but that's my own opinion. Need long butt sections.

Anyone use the Lure Jensen moochers?

@Derby kufa?

Last edited:
Thanks... good bang for the buck... they are basically the old shimano conversion blank... you can buy a spare top section if you evey break one

Thanks... good bang for the buck... they are basically the old shimano conversion blank... you can buy a spare top section if you evey break one
will the kufa top sections mate with the convergence bottoms? I have several bottom sections looking for a mate!

HB

I bought a LJ with matching LJ reel for my dad who needs the 5 inch arbour to have a chance at landing salmon 2 years ago. The butt section is long (which I prefer as well. People reeling hard on a rod with a short butt section looks funny and it keeps the reel off the lip of the holder as well). The butt is not carbon fibre though it’s a Winn grip material. No aluminum seat and the guides arent full stainless. The Okuma SXT has a carbon butt/cork foregrip, alps aluminum seat (but down locking ☹️) titanium guides with zirconium inserts but they are angled forward (not sure what this does other than catching loops of slack braid easier but have seen it on other rods). I‘m with you on the full stainless guides. My dads old rods only have stainless because that’s the only guides Compleat Angler would put on his builds. The okuma is $220-300 depending on where you buy it. The LJ is around $150 pre Covid. I still haven’t given my dad the rod and reel so I must be having fun with it. It would make a good “guest” rod. Not too upset if it gets banged up and good enough for you to fish yourself if you have to show them how it‘s done.

I bought a LJ with matching LJ reel for my dad who needs the 5 inch arbour to have a chance at landing salmon 2 years ago. The butt section is long (which I prefer as well. People reeling hard on a rod with a short butt section looks funny and it keeps the reel off the lip of the holder as well). The butt is not carbon fibre though it’s a Winn grip material. No aluminum seat and the guides arent full stainless. The Okuma SXT has a carbon butt/cork foregrip, alps aluminum seat (but down locking ☹️) titanium guides with zirconium inserts but they are angled forward (not sure what this does other than catching loops of slack braid easier but have seen it on other rods). I‘m with you on the full stainless guides. My dads old rods only have stainless because that’s the only guides Compleat Angler would put on his builds. The okuma is $220-300 depending on where you buy it. The LJ is around $150 pre Covid. I still haven’t given my dad the rod and reel so I must be having fun with it. It would make a good “guest” rod. Not too upset if it gets banged up and good enough for you to fish yourself if you have to show them how it‘s done.

Thanks for that some good info there. Yeah long butts work best for me. Insert guides can't take the abuse. They always fackup. Also the butt section is nice when there is a bit of a bulb at the end. Sticks in the rod holder better. I may have to build another set. If I'm going 4 or 5 hundred bucks each I may as well go with the HMX.

I like that those guys are showing passion in the industry.
Jeff embodies passion. I used to talk to that guy for hours about his trips up North with his family. Just another guy at the dock who saw somebody else coming in with fish so he wanted to chat. He talked about doing this for a long time and then he just made it happen. He's had other success in life because he's all in with whatever he's doing. You don't meet many guys like him these days.

Jeff embodies passion. I used to talk to that guy for hours about his trips up North with his family. Just another guy at the dock who saw somebody else coming in with fish so he wanted to chat. He talked about doing this for a long time and then he just made it happen. He's had other success in life because he's all in with whatever he's doing. You don't meet many guys like him these days.
I had a chat with him at the boat show. I pointed out their enthusiasm and how we haven't seen that in a while in the industry. I like that. Wanna see more of that.

When it comes to gear, we're picky. Let's see some gear that checks all the boxes that doesn't break the bank

Did you see the new rod offerings from Gibbs? Just out last week. Two different ratings.

Jeff sells a branded version of the same rod Pacific Angler sells as their Guide Series. (Okuma?)

Last edited:
I notice that Jeff isn't mentioned on their website.
I'm pretty sure I met him at Shearwater last year.
Do you know if he is still involved?

Canadian Tire on Cambie carries a large selection of his gear including the rods now. I heard this CT is a franchised operation, so not all will carry his product.

Yes he is. The president of the company. Good products for sure and a couple of good guys who work there too. It's nice to see a small, local company, working out of his garage and making an impact in the market. I'll support them whenever I can.
jeff@westcoastfishingtackle.ca

I would give those westcoasttackle built rods a try however their blanks have graphite in them so that's a no go. That won't hold up to the abuse on the boats for us. If those were fiberglass I'd be all over them.

Back