Wanted : Mooching / Trolling rods

I have 1 set of rods (custom made rods that I wrapped with islander reels) for fishing with guys who are careful and respectful of the gear and another set - old yellow eagle claw rods with shimano reels for the friends who act like a bull in a china shop. But neither set has cork butt section.

I checked out the kufa rods today at stillwater, they had a couple. They feel nice with a stout backbone. Rod butt is so short and the top cork is too long. Then my buddy pointed out that the last kufa rod we bought lasted about 2 days on the boat. Nice eyelets. I'd say that's what it has going for it.

Guess I'm breaking out the rotusserie

I checked out the R3EF rods at PNT, they seem like a decent rod for the money, with a long butt section, and a decent top cork. Feel very noodly with a backbone as well. Eyelets suck, however we may just have to live with that. I put an order in for 4 of the legacy 10 6 moochers however waiting on availability notification.

Hey guys just wanted to give a thanks for the recommendations from you all, and give you a bit of a review.

I couldn't get my hands on the Legacy rods in time to make a decision on them. However I took advise of @Derby & @bryce, went to PNT and had a look at both the Kufa and the R3ef rods. We grabbed 4 of the r3ef rods because of the butt sections. They both seemed a touch on the light side, however the proof is in the pudding. Been using them extensively all spring and summer. They load up nice if your the type who cranks down the line tension, and still gives backbone even on big fish upwards to the 40 lb range. They have plenty of backbone. One little ting of an eyelet against the railing and one popped out, however was easy enough to pop it back in place. Been fine since. All in all, I wpuld recommend these to anyone. Especially the charter guys, just based on cost and durability.

I ended up tapping the end plug. Which is an aluminum plug in the end of the rod butt, with a 10/32 machine screw. Went to the hardware store and paid 4 bucks for some of these cabinet knobs. Just to give that bulb on the rod butt. I counter sunk them with flathead screw and painted them black after but here's what I added basically.

20230821_163218.jpg

Last edited:
Hey guys just wanted to give a thanks for the recommendations from you all, and give you a bit of a review.

I couldn't get my hands on the Legacy rods in time to make a decision on them. However I took @Derby & @bryce, went to PNT and had a look at both the Kufa and the R3ef rods. We grabbed 4 of the r3ef rods because of the butt sections. They both seemed a touch on the light side, however the proof is in the pudding. Been using them extensively all spring and summer. They load up nice if your the type who cranks down the line tension, and still gives backbone even on big fish upwards to the 40 lb range. They have plenty of backbone. One little ting of an eyelet against the railing and one popped out, however was easy enough to pop it back in place. Been fine since. All in all, I wpuld recommend these to anyone. Especially the charter guys, just based on cost and durability.

I ended up tapping the end plug. Which is an aluminum plug in the end of the rod butt, with a 10/32 machine screw. Went to the hardware store and paid 4 bucks for some of these cabinet knows. Just to give that bulb on the rod butt. I counter sunk them with flathead screw and painted them black after but here's what I added basically.

View attachment 97777

Yeah I have one r3ef rod and love it.

Thanks for that some good info there. Yeah long butts work best for me. Insert guides can't take the abuse. They always fackup. Also the butt section is nice when there is a bit of a bulb at the end. Sticks in the rod holder better. I may have to build another set. If I'm going 4 or 5 hundred bucks each I may as well go with the HMX.
Barry’s custom rods, from Barry’s bait and tackle are awesome. I think they start at $450, give them a call.

Back