Best tides to fish halibut - high slack, low slack, doesn't matter?

We are heading out to the WCVI for some fishing and hope to include halibut fishing in the adventure. I've always been curious as to what the best time is to target these fish in regards to tides? I realize that in many places there are concerns surrounding tidal currents and getting your gear down, but if you aren't worried about current would you fish high tide slack, low tide slack, or mid tide? Or maybe it just doesn't matter :).

When where on the west coast, tides do not matter. Calm seas and where out there. It's the wind that allows one to fish for hali. At less for me

The biggest thing to consider is the current.... which does not co-incide with low/slack/high tide times..... use an app by Navionics that will show the currents and the times. Slow flow has always been best for me. Open ocean.... aka Ucleulet, Winter Harbour.... anytime sees to go.

The biggest thing to consider is the current.... which does not co-incide with low/slack/high tide times..... use an app by Navionics that will show the currents and the times. Slow flow has always been best for me. Open ocean.... aka Ucleulet, Winter Harbour.... anytime sees to go.

What's the name of the app?

Navionics web app. I'd recommend to download Navionics to your phone. Very handy and if you loose nav on your boat you would have a back up.

Back