Best Tackle combo!

With the exception of fish staging in the salt at river mouths and in the river itself, why use bait for Coho, when they will attack downrigger clips, anything really trolled in front of them. The list is endless. We used spinners like orange Blue Fox, and other contraptions in the salt and they go after them, seems like a waste of money to use bait.IMO

Summer, Derby winner flasher with bloody nose teaser with 8 pack Anchovies. Winter glow in the dark Cop Car flasher with AP sand lance spoon right on the bottom.

So much cheaply made gimmicky product, the marketing on social media is also annoying . Much rather fish local quality products pesca, lighthouse , AP tackleworks ect

Totally agree. their marketing is the worst; i can’t believe how many people in the lower mainland seem to drink their kool-aid and promote the product; slapping big ugly decals on their beautiful boats etc. i too would rather drop $15 on a AP spoon ( part of which goes to his Sitka initiative) or the very well made Peetz and CJ specials etc

@ChilliSpoons in the winter and pre-summer

3oz anchovie jig, jigs were so hot this summer

602 classic filled the box last minute while bait was struggling on a few occasions. Coho loved it too.

Three years ago off Pender Bluffs the only thing that the big Chinook would take in my boat was a Purple Onion Flasher with a glow green Anchovie Special teaser head.We caught a total of 23 springs that August including the 32 lber in my avatar.Ran different teaser heads,AP spoons,hoochies,and every single one came on that combo.Got to the point I wanted to run it on both sides but resisted and still the same result.This year it never got a sniff off Sooke.My go to is always some color Anchovie Special on a 7 ft. leader with either a purple glow one side or green glow one side Hot Spot,but if I could only have one thing it would be a MP2 mini plankton squirt/flasher of your choice combo.I've caught every type of salmon on that combo including a Tyee or two.I always find myself giving that a soak every trip.

Three years ago off Pender Bluffs the only thing that the big Chinook would take in my boat was a Purple Onion Flasher with a glow green Anchovie Special teaser head.We caught a total of 23 springs that August including the 32 lber in my avatar.Ran different teaser heads,AP spoons,hoochies,and every single one came on that combo.Got to the point I wanted to run it on both sides but resisted and still the same result.This year it never got a sniff off Sooke.My go to is always some color Anchovie Special on a 7 ft. leader with either a purple glow one side or green glow one side Hot Spot,but if I could only have one thing it would be a MP2 mini plankton squirt/flasher of your choice combo.I've caught every type of salmon on that combo including a Tyee or two.I always find myself giving that a soak every trip.
Here’s to hoping one day we get to catch some at pender bluffs once again

That would be great if it happened.I live 3 miles from the Cowichan Bay free launching ramp and cant use it to access any decent sort of mature spring salmon in the summer months.It was so nice sleeping in till 5:00Am every morning and running to the bluffs just in time for the morning bite .I'm heading to Sooke for the 7th trip this summer tomorrow morning and have to drag my sorry butt out of bed at 3:30 AM to get the boat loaded up and make it out on the water by 7:30 AM which is sometimes after the best bite of the day.Not to mention the extra fuel costs getting there and back.I hope I don' t sound like I'm complaining because I really love fishing Sooke waters but it would be nice to not be forced into that location every trip.

That would be great if it happened.I live 3 miles from the Cowichan Bay free launching ramp and cant use it to access any decent sort of mature spring salmon in the summer months.It was so nice sleeping in till 5:00Am every morning and running to the bluffs just in time for the morning bite .I'm heading to Sooke for the 7th trip this summer tomorrow morning and have to drag my sorry butt out of bed at 3:30 AM to get the boat loaded up and make it out on the water by 7:30 AM which is sometimes after the best bite of the day.Not to mention the extra fuel costs getting there and back.I hope I don' t sound like I'm complaining because I really love fishing Sooke waters but it would be nice to not be forced into that location every trip.
I load mine up the night before. Get up at four thirty and on the road by 5, to Cheanuh at 6, fishing by no later than 6:30 as long as there is no crazy lineup at the ramp.

I load mine up the night before. Get up at four thirty and on the road by 5, to Cheanuh at 6, fishing by no later than 6:30 as long as there is no crazy lineup at the ramp.
I would never leave my boat loaded with thousands of dollars of gear,kicker and electronics overnite in the driveway and I don't even live in a bad area for theft.I'd never get to sleep.LOLBut ya that would be a great time saver in the morning if I had a carport or shop to keep it" out of sight,out of mind."

I would never leave my boat loaded with thousands of dollars of gear,kicker and electronics overnite in the driveway and I don't even live in a bad area for theft.I'd never get to sleep.LOLBut ya that would be a great time saver in the morning if I had a carport or shop to keep it" out of sight,out of mind."
I do live a bit off by myself, and have a large dog that barks when strangers come down the driveway. Sometimes I forget that not everyone enjoys my reality.

Hey all. Another easy going thread here...
If you had to pick two winter and two summer Chinook flasher and lure combo’s, and you could only use those two all year what are they?!

Mine:
Winter- 1) uv flasher red stripe - gold nugget coho killer
2) Gibbs lemon lime/uv glow flasher with green splatterback glow hootchie

Summer-1) gold Betsy flasher/bloody nose teaser head with 12 pack size (5 1/4”?) anchovy
2) green glow flasher and green and white coho killer.
This was tough to do. I have 30 plus flashers, and A pile of great lures that I had to pass up! Sorry AP, it was a toss up vs coho killer! Some days AP’s are the best for sure!
Cheers!

I’d do the opposite of the stizzz. He says he gets skunked lots.

Had to give you a razz.

Green flasher(glow) splatterback green teaser red stinger hook

OF outfitter(moon jelly) with a tiger strip teaser red stinger hook

All year never change. Unless it’s working better on one side. Then I double up.

I’d do the opposite of the stizzz. He says he gets skunked lots.

Had to give you a razz.

Green flasher(glow) splatterback green teaser red stinger hook

OF outfitter(moon jelly) with a tiger strip teaser red stinger hook

All year never change. Unless it’s working better on one side. Then I double up.
I can take it!
But, I’ll hsve you know, I’ve turned a corner and am well on my way to becoming a great angler. Wait till next year’s reports come in.
Ignore the winter ones though. Damn cannonballs are too close to the bottom in the winter ;)

@BCRingo
I’m likely sitting around 50-55 fishable spoons after adding the ones I haven’t tied and the ones I have rigged in flasher bags. I didn’t have a great year of fishing, mainly due to the lack of time I spent on the water. Had a great year in life though!

To amswer your question on the the 300,00 for 100,000 thread, I’d say 80% of my fish are caught on spoons. My area has a lot of needlefish so I often have an AP sandlance or coho killer out and a skinny G.
I only have had 6 keeper fish to the boat so far this season. 4 Chinook and 2 coho. 5 were on spoons and one on a hoochie. My Biggest, still only 12-13lbs.
I lost my favourite anchovy spots due to closures :(
I did throw them out on a few trips but no love.

I am excited about the possibility of trying new lures and working new areas in 2019, and in regards to this thread. I have a new (old) custom painted pearl and glow spoon that was gifted to me and it looks super sexy with a black blade double glow flasher. That’s gonna get me some pigs come summertime!

I had good success with spoons fishing for springs until late May this year but then decided to switch to hootchies in July. I didn’t run a single spoon for the rest of the season and I did Ok with rubber and bait on both coho and chinooks.
Not saying that spoons aren’t as effective but in my local fisheries (Van harbor and gulf islands) they seem to b only working on certain tides and definitely not as effective as bait in late summer.
And I hear ya on lack of enough time on the water. Between work, family and other commitments my favourite hobby gets the biggest hit.
Like yourself, I’m also dying to get out to fish. Trailer looks tired of carrying the boat weight having had no breaks lately :p
Only 8 more days and days are going to get longer. Some light at the end of the tunnel. Literally!

Last edited:
Back