Winter Springs Tackle

Thanks for the all-important info RC.

If you don't mind using a Flasher, the needlefish hoochie's are probably the best. I used to use this combo in the early season on WCVI. Actually my greatest success was using a self-tied tube fly the size of a coho bucktail. Hollow tefon tubing, UV chenile for the body, white/pink/blue polar bear for the wing & a 4/0 single Octopus (mooching) hook with 50lb stiff mono leader 32" long & an eight inch flasher.

Golden bait does make a needlefish hoochie similar in color. If going the hoochie route, I always use a mylar insert in UV under the hoochie body & a single 4/0 siwash hook on a barrel swivel. The joint of the hook/swivel should line-up where the hoochie body turn from solid to tassels which make it flip around really nice. Since Nikka closed, Goldstar is the Golden bait distributor & the make the proper sized mylar inserts. I always use a heavy still leader 4 times the length of the flasher. Other leader weight/length combo's will work as well, the combo I use works well for a faster troll so you can fish a plug on the other side.

Speaking of plugs, In the US Pogue Plugs & KingKandy have needlefish plugs in case you want to ditch the inline flasher.

As far as color, the one Trotac is out of is probably the best; highly likely it is a Golden Bait NG142r

My favorite and go to winter setup is green flasher glow on one side, and the Kitchen Sink or Cop Car 3" TKO with a 30" - 36" leader 30lbs test. I also use the same set-up year round, I started it in a winter though.

Last edited:
Back