Best place to fish on the weekend

As to where I am fishing, probably lookout. I know there are tons of fish and with the rain and cooler weather, the trout should be active.

To stray back to the original post...

Fishing is good in basically every lake for trout right now.
as far as techniques go.I have found.. after many years, that from a boat your success rate goes up about 10-15X... just the standard troll. I usually run a fly rod with wooly-buggers (type IV line) usually red or green ; and experiment with line distance. or, if flys are not working... i switch too (or run both depending) gang troll on a spin cast with a 1.5 foot leader with bare hook/worm. On average with both these techniques... 10-25 fish per 4 hours in.

From shore... i was lucky if i even caught a trout!

Lookout is too small for boats. I can nearly cast from bank to bank at the widest point with the perfect amount of weight on.

I don't want to hijack this thread but I also have the same question as I started fishing recently but did not have much luck. I was wondering if the fishing spots I've been to were not good (Matheson Lake, Prospect Lake). The only fish I caught so far was a small trout at Lookout lake, but that is about it. I have no access to a boat so I have to rely on shore fishing. Can anybody share few places to try and maybe some tips about what technique for trout/ smallmouth bass to use at this time of the year?

Thanks in advance

I don't want to hijack this thread but I also have the same question as I started fishing recently but did not have much luck. I was wondering if the fishing spots I've been to were not good (Matheson Lake, Prospect Lake). The only fish I caught so far was a small trout at Lookout lake, but that is about it. I have no access to a boat so I have to rely on shore fishing. Can anybody share few places to try and maybe some tips about what technique for trout/ smallmouth bass to use at this time of the year?

Thanks in advance

My best advice.. get a boat. Otherwise its really patience. I like bobber/ worm with 10 ft leader on cloudy days, if fishing from shore.

I was at langford today, got 13, all small <14in. trolling green buggers really slow

kunni

Same kunni! What time were you there? What boat was yours?

Last edited by a moderator:
How big were the "little rats"? Mine was about 12", maybe just pushing 13". Some of the people around me appeard to have fish only around 8"

Fat buggers though.

They were all mostly about 12 inches, fresh out of the stocking truck. There were a few smaller ones as you mention.

An old buddy of mine lives on the lake. He has an annual gathering for a bunch of us who've known each other for many moons.

There were 19 of us fishing there over 2 days, only 3 of the multitudes of fish caught made 15 inches. That surprised me no bigger ones were caught but that lake takes a lot of pounding.

And before anyone gets their panties in a twist, all 19 guys released 100% of the fish.

falcon1, I was in the new to me marlon jon boat.

kunni

Are there any fish in there that are not hatchery?

a small portion, most - id say 80-90% in the main lower island lakes are hatchery. i have witnessed spawning trout in both Elk and prospect (in the creeks) but you will notice when you fish the lakes that there are very few juvenile(4-8inch) trout patrolling the shore - like there is in natural spawning lake (such as cowichan) langford has a suitable spawning river (gold stream) so a large portion are wild

Stock fish are triploid - meaning there reproductive organs are "fried" and they have no reason to spawn, so they focus all there energy on feeding - thus reaching a larger size faster. You can tell you have a hatchery fish when you open it up and there are no eggs or testicles present. the method they use to triploid the fish is not 100% effective however, and the odd fish retains its spawning ability.

without cutting it open, you can tell if its a hatchery fish by the size, average 9-13 inches - chubby with rounded fins. A fish that has been in a lake a year or more will have "square" fins, with nice sharp angles.

Last edited by a moderator:
Are thereany fish in there that are not hatchery?

You mean like Mikey's fish last week?

MeatandLangfordLakeBeauty017.jpg

Even though that thing probably came out of a truck at some point..

Stock fish are triploid - meaning there reproductive organs are "fried" and they have no reason to spawn,

Only in the last few years they are triploids, and I am pretty sure it is not all of them to this day.... Although they have been trying it for years they finally have figured out the survival rates to make it viable for a over all catch and take stocking program. The interior was the the start of the experiment.

And I think "fried" is the wrong word... Triploids are neither male or female.

Lipripper, how much did Mikey' fish weight?

kunni

Ask FFG for exact.. It was over 5 but it wasn't 6...Thats all I know.

Not sure on the usage of the abreviation FFG but can't seem to associate it with anything other then FFG (Fishing F**king God)

Fish was 24" and 5 pounds on the nose.

-KK

Not sure on the usage of the abreviation FFG but can't seem to associate it with anything other then FFG (Fishing F**king God)
-KK

Could have worded that a little different :D:D

Back