Best Lingcod?

Big ones are still OK eating but no comparison to a 15#. We let the big ones go. All big producing females.

Reactions: GAC
On subject of lingcod. Areas in SOG have been slashed with daily limits as well in South. Westcoast areas have increased limits.

There are expanded RCA and also a limit per year. Then on top of that closed 1/2 year. With those regulations in place I fail to see that all lingcod are going wiped out. It just not happening.

There also is this big talk going around that because salmon were closed people hammered lingcod. Personally I would say what I saw on water just in Nanaimo and Ladysmith areas was a 50 percent or higher less effort out there from boats going out at all. People just didn't go out.

a co worker caught a 30 pound ling under the iron workers bridge the other day.

it’s closed there for lings tho

There is no doubt there used to be more and good populations closer to home ports and more big ones., That being said there seems to be a lot of undersized around. My biggest is 53 but I talked to a commercial guy that had one over 70 lbs and that was Stuart Island area.

Big ones are still OK eating but no comparison to a 15#. We let the big ones go. All big producing females.
Agree, in an indirect way. I'm done with pounding out an hour plus each way to drift jig for big lings in open water. Waste of time and fuel given that we usually pick up a few 15 lb class fish while jigging or trolling for salmon. Unlikely that I'll see any more fish like in the pics I posted, and I'm fine with that. I'm putting my time into hunting springs.

Back