Best knot for downrigger braid?

Enniberg

Wondering which knot you guys are using to tie downrigger braid to the swivel, used by many of us as a stopper?
I have been using the palomar knot, and for a long time and that has worked well and never failed. However, lately, I have had two instances where it looks to me like the knot slipped - I did not notice getting hung up on anything, but suddenly everything was gone (swivel, gagnon, snubber, release clip and ball).
Am I using the wrong knot? would a uni knot be stronger? This happened after getting both downriggers re-lined at a Scotty service depot, and I have a feeling that the braid I got is more slippery than what I had in the past.

I’ve always used the improved clinch knot. I put the line thru the terminal gear twice before I tie the knot.

Wondering which knot you guys are using to tie downrigger braid to the swivel, used by many of us as a stopper?
I have been using the palomar knot, and for a long time and that has worked well and never failed. However, lately, I have had two instances where it looks to me like the knot slipped - I did not notice getting hung up on anything, but suddenly everything was gone (swivel, gagnon, snubber, release clip and ball).
Am I using the wrong knot? would a uni knot be stronger? This happened after getting both downriggers re-lined at a Scotty service depot, and I have a feeling that the braid I got is more slippery than what I had in the past.
Same thing just happened to me on a recent trip to bamfield. Newish line, was changed 2 weeks prior in prep for Nootka. Broke off on the decent at around 18ft in 200 plus ft of water. Boys at pnt mentioned that the slightest nick can result in a snapped line.

I always used a Double Palomar (make two overhand loops before passing the terminal gear through) secured with a couple half hitches when tying dowrigger braid to the swivel. Never had one fail at the knot.

However, I found the swivel-as-a-stopper method to be less than ideal. I would lose a couple cannon balls a year due to either the swivel breaking or the line breaking above the swivel. When the swivel goes through the pulley it puts a lot of stress on the system, particularly if there is any crud caught above the swivel or it doesn’t come through the pulley straight. FWIW, I run HP downriggers with 18 - 20 lb balls.

I now tie my braid direct to my tuna cord / seine twine with an Improved Albright knot with a couple half hitches or Rizzuto finish. The doubled over part of the tuna cord stops the rigger every time and it goes through the pulley nice and smooth.

I always used a Double Palomar (make two overhand loops before passing the terminal gear through) secured with a couple half hitches when tying dowrigger braid to the swivel. Never had one fail at the knot.

However, I found the swivel-as-a-stopper method to be less than ideal. I would lose a couple cannon balls a year due to either the swivel breaking or the line breaking above the swivel. When the swivel goes through the pulley it puts a lot of stress on the system, particularly if there is any crud caught above the swivel or it doesn’t come through the pulley straight. FWIW, I run HP downriggers with 18 - 20 lb balls.

I now tie my braid direct to my tuna cord / seine twine with an Improved Albright knot with a couple half hitches or Rizzuto finish. The doubled over part of the tuna cord stops the rigger every time and it goes through the pulley nice and smooth.
I've been doing the large swivel to nylon cord and changing out the swivels annually as a precaution. I can see someone fishing daily/near daily could run into problems.

I just changed out my large swivel to a slightly smaller swivel.
I lost a couple of balls and could see the wear on the cheekplates on the shiv where the large swivels were hitting on their way through.
Did not have a problem for three years, then this year it was a big problem. Checking the shiv for nicks too.

I don't use swivel anymore. Just Palomar knot directly to tuna chord. All that extra stuff isn't necessary. Your issue most likely could be your shiv as mentioned. I would check that. If it has nicks in it that could be your issue.

I just changed out my large swivel to a slightly smaller swivel.
I lost a couple of balls and could see the wear on the cheekplates on the shiv where the large swivels were hitting on their way through.
Did not have a problem for three years, then this year it was a big problem. Checking the shiv for nicks too.
i hogged out the shiv housing with my dremel tool to allow larger, beefier swivels to pass thru the shiv. did this years ago and still no problems

I've been doing the large swivel to nylon cord and changing out the swivels annually as a precaution. I can see someone fishing daily/near daily could run into problems.
yup, change em out every couple weeks, pull off 10' and re-tie.

now i want to go check the shiv. never been a problem though.

Back