Knot for braid to gangion?

Bifmalibu

I'm struggling to get a good knot between my DR braid and the tuna cord. Any suggestions? I have nightmares of gear plummeting to Davey Jones locker.

This is the one I use—--same knot I use to attach fly line to backing. (“Nail Knot”)

With braid to gangion, I double over the braid on itself then tie the knot —-hasn’t failed me yet

74C8DA2D-2768-4482-AA84-B3C55187C0BD.jpeg

Nice. Thanks everybody. I dug up some old threads and found somebody using a double uni knot. That's the direction I've gone for now, feels rock solid and seems to have less weight directly on the braid loop. That's what worries me...the braid cutting through the gangion more than the knot itself slipping loose.

are you using blue tuna cord or the green stuff....

here is how i have used it for prob the last ten years take your DR side braid form a loop 6-8" and do three over hand passes ... wet it and pull it tight over a cleat on tail end use a pair of needle nose to get it nice and snug ...

on the green/blue side a do a double over hand pass in the 165 lb gangion / tuna i then loop to loop these on cannon ball end i do put a scotty rubber buffer bead and use a PNT cannonball snap or a scotty coastal lok usually tied with a small nail knot ...

have run 15 lb ball's and never had any issues any wear and tear on the tuna cord end just replace once or twice a year .... also the loop to loop acts as a stopper so no orange bead needed unless your stacking then i put one one 15-20' up and then use the same PNT snap as they sit on the braid much better and don't twist off like normal scotty DR snaps

Nice. Thanks everybody. I dug up some old threads and found somebody using a double uni knot. That's the direction I've gone for now, feels rock solid and seems to have less weight directly on the braid loop. That's what worries me...the braid cutting through the gangion more than the knot itself slipping loose.
Braid to tuna cord loop to loop no issues

I terminate the braid on a big swivel (I think they're 2/0), which also acts as stopper bead. Then tie the tuna cord to the other end of the swivel. Palomar knots for both.

I change the swivel out every couple of seasons as it does take a bit of wear passing through the DR fairlead.

I terminate the braid on a big swivel (I think they're 2/0), which also acts as stopper bead. Then tie the tuna cord to the other end of the swivel. Palomar knots for both.

I change the swivel out every couple of seasons as it does take a bit of wear passing through the DR fairlead.
I was doing this until the wear in the fairlead would catch the swivel and snap the braid at the swivel.
Switched over to a simple overhand knot and no problems since the switch.

I was doing this until the wear in the fairlead would catch the swivel and snap the braid at the swivel.
My 2106s probably have way less wear than you coastal dwellers!

Lots of good options here. I tie an improved Albright knot and it works as the downrigger stop. It's been flawless so far.

Is the knot big enough to act as a stopper?

Back