Best Item for Boat $150

Marley

Hi All

I am in a Christmas gift exchange with my family and I need to make a list of items. If you could spend $150 on an item or items for your boat or fishing what would it be?

30# bogagrip scale. Excellent! Especially good for people who want a picture with their fish but don't want fish slime on their hands! :)

hb

A bit of a cop out, but a gift card for that value from their favourite gear store would be most welcome. Less chance of a return this way. Harbour Chandler, PNT, etc. I would love that from my gift exchange group. One could always up-spend it towards something of greater value too. Some tournaments I have been at, when the prize table is down to the sub $200 value for picking, often the gift cards will go before an actual item.

Waterproof ditch bag with first aid kit, rechargeable spotlight, flares, fire-starter, hammock, blanket, air horn & pump.
I do need a more refined ditch bag. I have an OR dry bag with some cloths and first aid. I was thinking about adding a handheld radio. Can I get a decent one for $150

I'd recommend staying away from any "critical use" marine VHF with a Ni-MH (Nickel–metal hydride) battery. You'll be lucky to get 2 years usage before the batteries quit holding a charge and become useless. Lithium Ion batteries will last for 5 years. If you can get one that takes rechargeable AA Lithium Ion batteries, that's even better. Plus, go with a 5w handheld if you can....2.5w will barely get you 1km of coverage.

My 15 year old 5w Uniden Atlantis 250 was a NiMH but also came with a AA battery pack adapter. It works better & longer today Using Li ION batteries than it did when I bought it. These 2.5 watt ones are great for dock-staff, chatting with buddies or communicating with your dinghy/shore-party but I wouldn't rely on them in an emergency. I have a set of 3 year old Standard Horizon 2.5w NiMH rechargeables that will go from 5 bars of battery to completely dead in less time than it would take to recite a full mayday.

Back