9.9 Mercury Pro-kicker conversion or sale?

brad00

Hoping someone can give me advice. I have a new 2019 mercury pro-kicker tiller with electric start and tilt (from previous boat, just finished break in). I just bought a boat with a new main (Suzuki 250AP drive by wire). I have a few options to make the set up work properly. Kicker will be tied in with main for steering. What would you recommend for a reasonable cost and convenience solution? Gear shift is on the handle, and both Motors are on extended brackets.

1. Sell the mercury motor and by a remote Suzuki kicker
2. By the kit from Mercury and convert the Kicker to remote (about 1k)
3. Do a partial conversion and add remote start and tilt to somewhere on the transom
4. Buy Troll Master pro 3+ for throttle control and call it a day.

Appreciate any advice, thank you in advance.

Hoping someone can give me advice. I have a new 2019 mercury pro-kicker tiller with electric start and tilt (from previous boat, just finished break in). I just bought a boat with a new main (Suzuki 250AP drive by wire). I have a few options to make the set up work properly. Kicker will be tied in with main for steering. What would you recommend for a reasonable cost and convenience solution? Gear shift is on the handle, and both Motors are on extended brackets.

1. Sell the mercury motor and by a remote Suzuki kicker
2. By the kit from Mercury and convert the Kicker to remote (about 1k)
3. Do a partial conversion and add remote start and tilt to somewhere on the transom
4. Buy Troll Master pro 3+ for throttle control and call it a day.

Appreciate any advice, thank you in advance.
Troll master or itroll

I’d sell it and get a remote Suzuki. You’re asking for trouble if you keep on having to go out on the bracket to put it in and out of gear.

I’d sell it and get a remote Suzuki. You’re asking for trouble if you keep on having to go
I’d sell it and get a remote Suzuki. You’re asking for trouble if you keep on having to go out on the bracket to put it in and out of gear.
Thanks. I'm worried about that too, will have to see if I can do it safely as the shift is on the handle. It will be inconvenient nonetheless

Thanks. I'm worried about that too, will have to see if I can do it safely as the shift is on the handle. It will be inconvenient nonetheless
The first thing I would do is check on suzi availability--can be tough to get--if available I'd get it a sell the mercury. A barely broken in motor in that HP with elect start and pwr tilt is very desirable and will sell quickly and for a very good price!! Don't play around-you will always regret it long after the savings are spent!! Been there -done that!!

I just took the same motor in on trade except it’s currently configured for remote use. I realize this post is from a while back but if your predicament still exists, I’d work something out with you to trade “kit” for kit as I’m in need of the parts for tiller use.

I've owned and used all of the options you list.
Currently running a kicker with electric start, shift on tiller, power trim (button on tiller), AND pull start.
Idea being if batteries are drained, I can bring everything back to life with the pull start.
Have gone back to a simple tie bar, and tiller extension for when I will be changing throttle lots - although honestly VERY rarely do this.
I am SO MUCH happier now with everything simple. Far less messing around with all the parts that will fail. Less wiring and cables.
Food for thought.

Back