Auto-Inflate Life Vests

adrianna3

The wife would like to get me one for Xmas (or early in the New Year). Which ones are best from your experience, Mustang, Bouy-O-Bouy? Which style do your prefer, the auto inflate or the manual pull tab? Where is the best place on the Island to get one, Trotac, Island Outfitters, River Sportsman?
Thankyou in advance for any input.
Dave

The new selfinflating ones are DOT approved finally if that has any bearing on your decision.

Wolf

I have a mustang HIT and love it, you forget your wearing it once you get going.
Mustangs seem to be more expensive than bouy though..

Water. It uses a pill the disolves as soon as water hits it. I tuck the manual pull string away because my wife once was getting off the boat the the manual pull cord got stuck on the railing and you should see all the people laughing with her stuck there. For some reason she was going under the railing toward the front of the boat. You can also buy a recharge kit for these. Easy to do. I take ours apart every year and make sure there's not cracks in the flotation device. When you need it, it has to work right.

quote:Originally posted by adrianna3

What triggers the auto inflate models? Does getting it wet set it off or is it water pressure?

theres TWO types, the mustang HIT uses pressure (6'' i think) the other types uses the dissolving pill.

Yeah, the pressure "switch" doesn't respond to severe rains, etc. Have to be in the water.

The worst day fishing is better than the best day working...

Ok, thanks guys. I fish in an open boat in some pretty wet weather, so I was worried about it getting wet enough to set it off.

If your in an open boat i would go for the self inflate because and I hope this NEVER happens to anyone you should hit your head going over and knock yourself out it will inflate for you and possablly save your life as you wont if you have a pull cord model.

wolf

quote:Originally posted by geo_tonz

Yeah, the pressure "switch" doesn't respond to severe rains, etc. Have to be in the water.

I think that's the idea but... a friend of mine had his pop off when drifting the Cowichan on a wet day. He was in a pontoon boat so it could be it got heavily splashed.

quote:Originally posted by kildonan

I think that's the idea but... a friend of mine had his pop off when drifting the Cowichan on a wet day. He was in a pontoon boat so it could be it got heavily splashed.

something weird is going on there then... they need to be under like 6'' of water pressure ofr 2-3 secondsi think.. wouldvbe had to take a big wave on the chest, accidently pulled the manual inflate cord, or has the dissolving tablet kind

something weird is going on there then... they need to be under like 6'' of water pressure ofr 2-3 secondsi think.. wouldvbe had to take a big wave on the chest, accidently pulled the manual inflate cord, or has the dissolving tablet kind

Make sure that there are lots of options to get the refill kit for the model you purchase. I got a "deal" on a self inflating model a couple of years ago and it uses a 25 gram CO2 cartridge. All of the local places only stock the 33 gram cartridge and you can't order these online as they can't ship them over the border because they are compressed gas.

TenMile
<'((((><

quote:Originally posted by nedarb2

it was in fact the dissolving tablet kind.

Back