Vancouver Island Fishing

C

Cominghome

Evening all, so after much too long slaving away in the international rat-race my wife and I are thinking about moving home to Beautiful BC. She wants an ocean view which I think is a fair trade-off as long as I get a boat!

I grew-up fishing with my grandparents in Deep Bay (Norris Rock was my favourite spot) near Qualicum. Daily limits were a regularity but I realize in 30+ years, times have changed and supply has dwindled throughout much of the Island.

Ultimately I am looking to buy a property/boat and have it as a second home for the next 25+ years at least. As far as fishing goes big chinooks are priority 1, fighting lively coho 2, and everything else is simply a bonus.

From what I have gathered from this forum and elsewhere the best two spots on the Island for my criteria will likely be near Campbell River (ie. Quadra) and/or WCVI (Tofino). Some proximity to civilization would be a bonus. Both of these areas seems to have two very different types of fishing and gear requirements I gather as well and given I'd prefer not to have to trailer a boat around if possible that is a consideration...

So I put myself at the mercy of this forum: If any of you were looking at a long term place to park your boat on the island for the June - Sep seasons for the next 25+ years, where would you go and why?

In the meantime may the bite remain on...

Hello Cominghome. i believe I've inadvertently scotched your forum registration. Please re-register and I'll keep an eye out for your attempt and be sure to put it through.

Apologies or the inconvenience......we have to maintain diligence in thwarting spammers and occasionally this results in declining legitimate registrations.

Cheers, Peter.
www.sportfishingbc.com

Evening all, so after much too long slaving away in the international rat-race my wife and I are thinking about moving home to Beautiful BC. She wants an ocean view which I think is a fair trade-off as long as I get a boat!

I grew-up fishing with my grandparents in Deep Bay (Norris Rock was my favourite spot) near Qualicum. Daily limits were a regularity but I realize in 30+ years, times have changed and supply has dwindled throughout much of the Island.

Ultimately I am looking to buy a property/boat and have it as a second home for the next 25+ years at least. As far as fishing goes big chinooks are priority 1, fighting lively coho 2, and everything else is simply a bonus.

From what I have gathered from this forum and elsewhere the best two spots on the Island for my criteria will likely be near Campbell River (ie. Quadra) and/or WCVI (Tofino). Some proximity to civilization would be a bonus. Both of these areas seems to have two very different types of fishing and gear requirements I gather as well and given I'd prefer not to have to trailer a boat around if possible that is a consideration...

So I put myself at the mercy of this forum: If any of you were looking at a long term place to park your boat on the island for the June - Sep seasons for the next 25+ years, where would you go and why?

In the meantime may the bite remain on...

There are no fish in Tofino nor is there any moorage

Hi Cominghome. Iv'e been fishing on the Island since 1978 - Kyuquot & south on WCVI, Kelsey bay & south on ECVI. Over a 25 year period there have been some drastic changes, most for the worse. I am now 65 & my enthusiasm for the rough water and damp climate of WCVI has diminished as have the size & quantity of Salmon. I still do it a few days a year. I used to have a boat moored in Ucluelet and then Tofino.
My current solution is a 33ft Sportfisher with twin diesels, 30kn top end & fuel capacity for 250+ miles. No ferry, no customs, fuel cost is about the same as ferry fare+ truck gas. I can moor wherever & not listen to some A-hole's dog bark all day & night.

If you want a land option, I'd pick Campbell river & i like Quadra island too. That way you can have your wife pick sunset or sunrise to look at. Get a boat that can take you at least 100 miles R/T & hauls butt. Get a Garmin CHIRP sounder/GPS & put the VCA018R cartridge in it. You will be amazed at what this can do. Taku resort on the east side of Quadra seems to have secure moorage. Book some time with Kyle at Cortes Fishing Adventures. He was born on Read Island, contracts as a guide at Sonora resort & can show you some "interesting" spots to fish. His boat & set-up would be a good example to clone for your rig.

I fish with 20b spectra (power pro, whatever) & never use in-line flashers. The Chinook usually give a "Coho-like" fight, & i think that given equal size, Chinook fight harder.

Hope this helps, Eric

Back