Area 18 Chinook

Isn't that to protect Cowichan Chinook? If you want that opportunity opened, perhaps attend the Cowichan Round Table process and bring it up there.

I also find this unclear. This is one of those confusing ones. The supporting info below the map in the first link states that a limit of 2 Chinook and minimum size of 62 cm apply in:

"Areas 18, 19-5 to 19-12, unless specified differently below"

The table below lists the Chinook non retention from Aug 1 to Oct 15.... there are no other mentions of closures in Area's 18-6, 7, 8 & 10

The other link states that 18-1 to 18-5,18-9,18-11 are open and does not mention the other areas...

I think it is open, but a call to the Duncan office to talk to a CO could be in order.

man these regs are confusing. i get that it doesn't say area 18-6 (for example) is open. it doesn't mention 18-6 chinook in any way for that matter on the current dfo site. so we then assume it's closed?
i don't see on the other big chart any reference to dec 31 regarding chinook in 18-6 (for example)

There's no change to the Chinook regs for the last I don't know how mny years.What is different this year is they have in the past several years opened up the bay and Cherry Point for retention of Coho on Nov.1,but for some reason this year it hasn't been done yet.The river is also closed to retention of chums and coho at this time and may not open at all this year as they are concerned with the low chum numbers so far.The chinook were again back in big numbers well over the escapement of 6,500 but were
opened for no-retention in the section fron Mile 66 trestle to Sandy Pool which is a new thing this year.I'm patiently waiting for a coho opening but not counting on it.

Isn't that to protect Cowichan Chinook? If you want that opportunity opened, perhaps attend the Cowichan Round Table process and bring it up there.

It's going to be an interesting test to see if DFO opens this back up.

Maybe it should be called the Cowichan "Pound Table" Process..... It's probably not a good idea for me to attend otherwise I might pound something. There is no mercy as they continue to pound on fishers. If that's the level of care they are writing the regs ..... what does that say about the level of care they are running the whole fishery? Imagine being out there fishing and getting your boat confiscated because you misunderstood they're FU reg wording. Particularly looking like they just don't give a s__t.

Back