123 Closed to Chinook Retention until July 14

I tell you its getting very close to the point where it just isn’t worth it anymore. These short seasons non retention areas make for short seasons in concentrated areas. Short seasons make it hard for area businesses to make the needed income. So they have to inflate their prices to make up for loss of revenue and it just makes it tough. It used to be an affordable family outing but its getting to be a wealthy mans game. Young families just cant afford it any longer. Its very close to the point Im selling the big boat and going to buy a nice smaller lake boat and travel Sask, Man and northern Ont more. Lots of beautiful country out there, less traveled and less hassle and a lot more affordable for the family. The wife and I are older and I make an above average wage so its not a big deal for us, but its not about me, its about doing things as family’s and the west coast is pricing itself well out if that bracket. I came very close to selling it this spring, this summers outing with the family is going to be the deciding outing for us.

You can still fish most areas but not retain everything; you have to keep this in perspective. Just not the meat supply you used to take home from trips. From prairie lakes you wouldn't bring 1000lbs of meat home either. Westcoast was always pricier than say prairie resorts. But I don't think prices in the westcoast destinations have gone up out of sync with the rest of the world. At least not what I am seeing; we are doing Barkley again this year and I am not shocked about the cost. Maybe depending on what services you want; maybe guiding has gone up more due to fuel cost.

Yah lots of valid points Chris for sure.

Also fishing has stopped being a meat supply years ago regardless of the species or area no doubt about it.

I have to get out on the water here soon before I go total bonkers, maybe thats just my miserable problem. Good thing the season starts in some of the areas i fish on May 5th I don’t think I could take it much longer.

I tell you its getting very close to the point where it just isn’t worth it anymore. These short seasons non retention areas make for short seasons in concentrated areas. Short seasons make it hard for area businesses to make the needed income. So they have to inflate their prices to make up for loss of revenue and it just makes it tough. It used to be an affordable family outing but its getting to be a wealthy mans game. Young families just cant afford it any longer. Its very close to the point Im selling the big boat and going to buy a nice smaller lake boat and travel Sask, Man and northern Ont more. Lots of beautiful country out there, less traveled and less hassle and a lot more affordable for the family. The wife and I are older and I make an above average wage so its not a big deal for us, but its not about me, its about doing things as family’s and the west coast is pricing itself well out if that bracket. I came very close to selling it this spring, this summers outing with the family is going to be the deciding outing for us.
time to switch to chasing larger rainbows and bull's and lakers

You can still fish most areas but not retain everything; you have to keep this in perspective. Just not the meat supply you used to take home from trips. From prairie lakes you wouldn't bring 1000lbs of meat home either. Westcoast was always pricier than say prairie resorts. But I don't think prices in the westcoast destinations have gone up out of sync with the rest of the world. At least not what I am seeing; we are doing Barkley again this year and I am not shocked about the cost. Maybe depending on what services you want; maybe guiding has gone up more due to fuel cost.
This is true. But over the long haul maybe it's like being a frog in a pot of water. We just don't feel it until we really feel it. Then it's too late. Would be interesting to see a graph of costs ( fuel and boat, ferry, accomodations etc) vs average salary--- adjusted for the year. Compare the 1990s, early 2000's and now. I don't have those Excel skills for that.

Freshwater=no god damn DFO to deal with, no seals, no whales, no sea lions, no fish farms, no commercial vs recreational vs guides vs FN, no Alaska, no SRKW, etc etc. Lots of positives to the freshwater game.

Yup, and east into walleye, pike, musky. Lots of country lots of fun easy access opportunities.
We went to NW Sask last year and had an outstanding experience on one of the big lakes there. A lot of hard core westcoast anglers don't know what they are missing. Super fun! Try a 40" pike on a popper fly! Can't beat it. And honestly, walleye filet is in my eyes right there with ling or halibut.

We went to NW Sask last year and had an outstanding experience on one of the big lakes there. A lot of hard core westcoast anglers don't know what they are missing. Super fun! Try a 40" pike on a popper fly! Can't beat it. And honestly, walleye filet is in my eyes right there with ling or halibut.
Maybe that is next trip 🤔

Back