Anyone raise the roof?

Oscar162

Popped the top off the tub today… has some rot that needs attention, and I’m looking at raising it approx 4”… already tired of smacking my melon. Anyone go down this road? I’ve been following what DanJ is up to… and I see Myles did something similar on a Hourston. Anyone else? Cheers

Attachments

• IMG_5355.jpeg
    IMG_5355.jpeg
    570.2 KB · Views: 145
  • IMG_4523.jpeg
    IMG_4523.jpeg
    540.5 KB · Views: 144
My last 17’ double eagle I had the guy before me had raised the roof 4” with a c- channel made from plywood then he glassed in all in nicely it was a bit blunt on the front side but once the boat was painted white it blended in a bit the extra height was nice

If all you think you need is 4" I would just add some solid wood following the lines of the raised cuddy and fiberglass/gelcoat.Should be able to make it look like it came that way from factory.I'd probably go higher though.

They filled in the original side window raised portion that was covered by the roof line when it had the swept back windshield in place. There was one like this for sale recently, I thought it looked cleaner without the soft top extension, but probably more functional with it.

Is it common for a builder to do 95% of the window cut out like this? I imagine it keeps the cab stronger with less flex and movement, easier to square things up as the build carries on before the windows are in place. Even the peep hole cut out in the front is interesting.

355279514_3428269094092754_4071397478876269662_n.jpg

Popped the top off the tub today… has some rot that needs attention, and I’m looking at raising it approx 4”… already tired of smacking my melon. Anyone go down this road? I’ve been following what DanJ is up to… and I see Myles did something similar on a Hourston. Anyone else? Cheers
What did you end up deciding to do? lots of nice options out there. I like the idea of making an aluminum spacer that's super easy to fabricate. (you know a guy LOL) Perhaps wrap the alum vs paint. If you make a spacer with fiberglass and foam that would work well. It was pretty difficult to get the fitment right and I got it about 90% good enough and decided to accept some imperfections. 4" of roof raise seems about right, more is really nice your tall friends would thank you, but you start to change the roof lines and then it doesn't look as nice in my opinion. If you are re-using the old windows as I did, take caution as you raise the roof the windows go further back so my new spacers at the aft of the windows became pretty small. End of the day they are still sedan style and really designed to be run sitting down.

Attachments

• 20220505_151826.jpg
    20220505_151826.jpg
    343.8 KB · Views: 79
  • 20220731_103911.jpg
    20220731_103911.jpg
    213.8 KB · Views: 78
What did you end up deciding to do? lots of nice options out there. I like the idea of making an aluminum spacer that's super easy to fabricate. (you know a guy LOL) Perhaps wrap the alum vs paint. If you make a spacer with fiberglass and foam that would work well. It was pretty difficult to get the fitment right and I got it about 90% good enough and decided to accept some imperfections. 4" of roof raise seems about right, more is really nice your tall friends would thank you, but you start to change the roof lines and then it doesn't look as nice in my opinion. If you are re-using the old windows as I did, take caution as you raise the roof the windows go further back so my new spacers at the aft of the windows became pretty small. End of the day they are still sedan style and really designed to be run sitting down.
Damn that's a nice boat! At this point I'm planning on building it in place and glassing it to the existing deck... will be easier to follow the lines of what is there, and the entire boat is getting a paint job anyways.I can follow the lines of the windshield, and do some fairing to blend it in. I've thought about the whole thing being pushed back as it goes up.... shouldn't be an issue, I'll glass a "return" straight down wherever it ends up at the back. As for what I'm glassing over... undecided. I know your a foam fan... may end up being a wood core... i dunno. I have some composite decking I was also toying with... but its heavy.

Back