Truth and consequences...or not. By Bob Hooton

OldBlackDog

Truth and Consequences……..Or Not
Social media abounds with pictures of beach seined fish left to rot on the lower Fraser River in recent days. Several different people have posted the same or similar pictures taken at a location identified as Mountain Bar between October 12 and 14. For those who may have missed them, I’ve included several below. The photographer has asked not to be identified for fear of reprisal.

When contemplating these pictures, remember they are the aftermath of what the Department of Fisheries and Oceans labels selective fisheries targeting chum. In other words, non-target and seriously depressed stocks like Interior Fraser Steelhead (IFS) are supposed to be released immediately and unharmed. Beach seines are touted as the selective fishing alternative to set nets and drift nets that would otherwise be employed when stocks/species of concern are likely to be encountered. We’re told that beach seine crews are doing great work out there and we should all be content conservation objectives are being met. You decide.

Untitled.png

Screenshot-2018-10-15-21.24.34.png
Screenshot-2018-10-15-09.50.33.png

Screenshot-2018-10-15-09.49.50.png

Screenshot-2018-10-15-09.49.29.png

The point of this one was to emphasize the fact there were many more discarded fish in the water than there were on the adjacent beach.
Ken-Malloway-FB-post-Sept-27-Aggasiz.png

A photo (Sept 27 near Aggasiz) from the Face Book page of a prominent First Nations leader anxious to demonstrate selective fishing via beach seines. Does this do anything for anyone’s confidence in pronouncements about conservation of weak stocks and species? Is it evil to suggest otherwise?
Of course, one is guaranteed to be accused of bias, racism, bigotry, unreasonableness……..for daring to raise an objection over the conduct of fisheries that produce such carnage and waste. Our governments have set us up for that. But, lets look a little more carefully at the real damage done here. Yes, the methods are less than selective, the people less than vigilant and honest in terms of what they do and how they go about it and yes, waste is disgraceful. But, what really bothers me is the complacency of DFO. The comments of wannabe fisheries politicians and process junkies are a bit over the top as well. My point in raising these issues has nothing to do with race. Its all about attempting to raise the level of awareness around steelhead conservation. I think I’ve exhibited enough of that over the past 40+ years it ought to be obvious. But, shoot the messenger if you will.

What we’re talking about here and now is a modicum of protection for the few dozen remaining Thompson steelhead. Those are the last of the Interior Fraser stocks. I grow tired of reminding the boardroom participants it is already too late for Nahatlatch, Stein, Bridge, and even Chilcotin. We could add Quesnel to that list but who even knows there were once steelhead there? If we are serious about conservation (isn’t that what the COSEWIC review and recommendation for listing was all about?) everyone must bite the bullet. Those who believe pronouncements about selective fishing when engaging in all the planning sessions and consultation forums need to get out on the water and see how that is working. Forgive another cliche but talk is cheap, it takes money to buy whiskey. Conservation is obviously bad for business but it sure does create a perfect environment for those who never met a microphone they didn’t love.

Show me some accountability around the above photos. Show me the formal DFO catch reports that bear any resemblance to what actually happens in the fisheries they sanction, let alone the clandestine fisheries commonplace throughout the lower Fraser. (The DFO catch records for the lower Fraser FN fisheries to date reveal a reported steelhead catch of one steelhead since the first week of June.) Show me credible steelhead catch reporting data from the commercial sector as well (I’m unable to find any data on the 2018 commercial catches to date). Explain the video clips I’ve posted here previously that clearly demonstrate just how lethal gill nets are when supposedly deployed to catch sockeye and only sockeye. Show me the evidence 13 years worth of investment in Wild Salmon Policy1 since it was finally released made a hill of beans difference to the status of a long list of salmon and steelhead stocks throughout the Fraser now in various stages of COSEWIC and SARA processes. Make me believe WSP2 is going to be the salvation of any of them. Tell me again why anyone with a modicum of grey matter should believe the report by Premier Horgan’s Wild Salmon Advisory Council holds any hope for moving the wild steelhead abundance needle. Remember, that august group’s origin was the speech in the provincial legislature on the status of Thompson and Chilcotin steelhead. Find me the word steelhead anywhere in the recommendations of that report. For another example of government inertia dare I the Cohen Commission process and implementation?

More simplistic cliches – If we don’t change direction we’ll end up where we’re headed. Recognition of a problem is the first step in addressing it.

It boggles the mind,

Every yr at this time we see/hear of this, only to see this waist of a precious resource ,and in this day and age that we are all entering it makes it all much worse.

Why were these "legally caught" fish waisted and left to rot on the river banks?
Some nets abandoned with rotting fish left hung up in them..we've all seen those pics from the past.

Where is Suzuki? All the enviro groups? Where is the outrage?
How about almo? Why is she and her followers not trying to get this blatant waist of the precious WILD SALMON resource that she toutes to defend out in the public?
Dont want to bite the hand that feeds you, they want their cake and eat it to..its all BS..

Some have said here on this forum "they're MOSTLY ONLY chum salmon..and your trying to stir the pot"?!

were chum not the targeted species??
WTF

have these same posters not seen/read their own links that they post on this site over and over again..some regarding peer reviewed scientific evidence that chum are the #2 diet of the starving SRKW's after Spring salmon?
all here on this forum know the answers to that question... but still these defenders continue to try to get the public to look the other way, deflect, nothing to see or learn here, and say its their "rights".

Some of my best buddies can get, and have the "rights" to do what has happened but would never lower themselves to such, and are just as disgusted as I am!
Waiting for the rasists comments directed my way from all who DONT KNOW ME!!...flame on

Whats that old saying that Albert Einstein is widely credited with saying, “The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results.”

IMO
Sportfishing is doomed with the mentality of some on here..
But I'm thinking that is exactly what some of these posters want!

Last edited:
Couldn't agree more that this is a disgusting waste. Rather unfortunate that some individuals did not take the responsibility that goes with having a fishing right seriously. I have seen some of the social media posts by a few (stress a few) people who IMO are teetering on racist commentary that is also unacceptable. This isn't about a particular group and their access to a fishery (that is a right), this is about some individuals who do not honour the fish, instead display disgusting disregard for them.

Also very unfortunate that DFO failed everyone miserably in not adequately monitoring this fishery given the significant risk it posed to Interior Fraser Steelhead. Monitoring effort should be commensurate with the potential risk the fishery represents to conservation - that apparently has been lost on some. Or has it? DFO has recently opened up a public consultation on putting the final touches on the new Fisheries Monitoring Policy.

If you want to do something positive and take action, here is your chance.

Simply visit the website, download the material, and participate in the consultation...and, my personal rant...please demand "risk based monitoring." Demand there be accountability among fishers, and also DFO staff who are apparently designing these fisheries, and monitoring them. Not good enough and a badly failing grade this time out. The DFO simply can't pass the red face test on this fishery.

Here's the link, please get involved:

http://www.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/peches-fisheries/comm/consultation-nat-fsh-eng.htm

Is there anything that ties the native band to the pictures of dead salmon left to rot on the beach?

Truth and Consequences……..Or Not
Social media abounds with pictures of beach seined fish left to rot on the lower Fraser River in recent days. Several different people have posted the same or similar pictures taken at a location identified as Mountain Bar between October 12 and 14. For those who may have missed them, I’ve included several below. The photographer has asked not to be identified for fear of reprisal.

When contemplating these pictures, remember they are the aftermath of what the Department of Fisheries and Oceans labels selective fisheries targeting chum. In other words, non-target and seriously depressed stocks like Interior Fraser Steelhead (IFS) are supposed to be released immediately and unharmed. Beach seines are touted as the selective fishing alternative to set nets and drift nets that would otherwise be employed when stocks/species of concern are likely to be encountered. We’re told that beach seine crews are doing great work out there and we should all be content conservation objectives are being met. You decide.

Untitled.png

Screenshot-2018-10-15-21.24.34.png
Screenshot-2018-10-15-09.50.33.png

Screenshot-2018-10-15-09.49.50.png

Screenshot-2018-10-15-09.49.29.png

The point of this one was to emphasize the fact there were many more discarded fish in the water than there were on the adjacent beach.
Ken-Malloway-FB-post-Sept-27-Aggasiz.png

A photo (Sept 27 near Aggasiz) from the Face Book page of a prominent First Nations leader anxious to demonstrate selective fishing via beach seines. Does this do anything for anyone’s confidence in pronouncements about conservation of weak stocks and species? Is it evil to suggest otherwise?
Of course, one is guaranteed to be accused of bias, racism, bigotry, unreasonableness……..for daring to raise an objection over the conduct of fisheries that produce such carnage and waste. Our governments have set us up for that. But, lets look a little more carefully at the real damage done here. Yes, the methods are less than selective, the people less than vigilant and honest in terms of what they do and how they go about it and yes, waste is disgraceful. But, what really bothers me is the complacency of DFO. The comments of wannabe fisheries politicians and process junkies are a bit over the top as well. My point in raising these issues has nothing to do with race. Its all about attempting to raise the level of awareness around steelhead conservation. I think I’ve exhibited enough of that over the past 40+ years it ought to be obvious. But, shoot the messenger if you will.

What we’re talking about here and now is a modicum of protection for the few dozen remaining Thompson steelhead. Those are the last of the Interior Fraser stocks. I grow tired of reminding the boardroom participants it is already too late for Nahatlatch, Stein, Bridge, and even Chilcotin. We could add Quesnel to that list but who even knows there were once steelhead there? If we are serious about conservation (isn’t that what the COSEWIC review and recommendation for listing was all about?) everyone must bite the bullet. Those who believe pronouncements about selective fishing when engaging in all the planning sessions and consultation forums need to get out on the water and see how that is working. Forgive another cliche but talk is cheap, it takes money to buy whiskey. Conservation is obviously bad for business but it sure does create a perfect environment for those who never met a microphone they didn’t love.

Show me some accountability around the above photos. Show me the formal DFO catch reports that bear any resemblance to what actually happens in the fisheries they sanction, let alone the clandestine fisheries commonplace throughout the lower Fraser. (The DFO catch records for the lower Fraser FN fisheries to date reveal a reported steelhead catch of one steelhead since the first week of June.) Show me credible steelhead catch reporting data from the commercial sector as well (I’m unable to find any data on the 2018 commercial catches to date). Explain the video clips I’ve posted here previously that clearly demonstrate just how lethal gill nets are when supposedly deployed to catch sockeye and only sockeye. Show me the evidence 13 years worth of investment in Wild Salmon Policy1 since it was finally released made a hill of beans difference to the status of a long list of salmon and steelhead stocks throughout the Fraser now in various stages of COSEWIC and SARA processes. Make me believe WSP2 is going to be the salvation of any of them. Tell me again why anyone with a modicum of grey matter should believe the report by Premier Horgan’s Wild Salmon Advisory Council holds any hope for moving the wild steelhead abundance needle. Remember, that august group’s origin was the speech in the provincial legislature on the status of Thompson and Chilcotin steelhead. Find me the word steelhead anywhere in the recommendations of that report. For another example of government inertia dare I the Cohen Commission process and implementation?

More simplistic cliches – If we don’t change direction we’ll end up where we’re headed. Recognition of a problem is the first step in addressing it.
Any chance of getting copies of the photos with a date and time stamp?

Is there anything that ties the native band to the pictures of dead salmon left to rot on the beach?

Yes bones, I talked to the chief of the sts’ailes who’s territory it is. Some of his people put stolo fisherman in the area.

Rather unfortunate that some individuals did not take the responsibility that goes with having a fishing right seriously. I have seen some of the social media posts by a few (stress a few) people who IMO are teetering on racist commentary that is also unacceptable

I agree some groups need to reign in some of their dogs. I’ve seen some very bad and ignorant comments.

This has been boiling waiting to explode tho for awhile. Closing the recreation Fraser fishery this fall while allowing fsc fisheries was the last straw for many.

As for the monitoring DFO has spent years with these bands to Develop self monitoring practices. They self monitor for fsc fisheries. This issue has gone before the House of Commons before. Commercial fishermen argued it is the fox guarding the hen house.

http://www.ourcommons.ca/DocumentViewer/en/37-1/FOPO/meeting-54/evidence

That link is well worth a skim, It will give some perspective on the fraser river gong show. It is probably worth revisiting as almost all the DFO people involved in this have retired and most of the Chiefs are no longer in their positions.

Any chance of getting copies of the photos with a date and time stamp?

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=596898050352169&set=a.359975664044410&type=3&theater

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bo723OVjMw2/?taken-by=mainlanders_sportfishing

Last edited:
Searun - I'd like to add my voice to others that point out the honesty, integrity, and appropriateness of your posts. It is rewarding having your input on this forum. Thank you.

Dead salmon left to rot along the Fraser River angers sportfishing group
Found among the chum dumped on the gravel bar were endangered Thompson River steelhead
Jennifer Feinberg
640" style="max-width: 100%;">
14046382_web1_deadfish.jpg

Dead salmon found last week on a gravel bar in the Fraser River. (Submitted)

Dead fish dumped along the Fraser River is “totally irresponsible,” according to leadership of the Fraser River Sportfishing Alliance.

A pile of dead salmon that had been left to rot was discovered last week on a gravel bar in the Fraser River, and in abandoned nets at other riverside locations.

The sportfishing group has “grave concerns” about any fisheries that end up with endangered steelhead or wild coho in nets, said Rod Clapton, co-chair of the FRSA.

“To allow any fish to rot on the beach is totally irresponsible,” said Clapton in a statement.

Clapton fired off a letter that he signed on behalf of the group to DFO, asking for better enforcement and monitoring.

deadfish1.jpg

The FRSA reps say they expect DFO officials to carefully monitor all fisheries to ensure that they are truly selective and any by-catch of threatened species are carefully handled and released.

“The Fraser River salmon fishery is closed to sportfishing,” noted Fred Helmer, co-chair of FRSA. “We expect that all sectors will equally bear the required conservation responsibility, and we expect DFO to prosecute any fishers who are breaking the law.”

The estimated time left for Thompson River steelhead is less than five years, Helmoer said. Only 177 returned last year whereas there used to be runs in the thousands.

“Every fish now returning must be given the maximum protection,” Helmer said.

deadfish2.jpg

Symon Kircher contacted The Progress to share photos of dumped salmon on the Fraser with the public.

“This is the shameful waste of hundreds of salmon left to rot after a commercial roe fishery, the male chum salmon and by catch are left on the beach to rot while females are taken for their eggs.

Among the dumped fish is an a endangered Thompson steelhead, hundreds of chinook, coho salmon, and male chum salmon.

“This is a huge black eye for the tourism sector, as well as slap in the face to the thousands of anglers and recreational users who spend big money to have the opportunity to see or catch one of these wild salmon,” Kircher said. “It’s time to stand up for change.”

Under scrutiny from the public...these piles were thrown back into the river. However one just has to watch the daily activities in this area and see the waste from this fishery. What about the netting at seabird island and surrounding areas?
These bands are tagetting interior stocks of coho and steelhead!
Maybe it’s time to ban the sale of roe to offshore buyers!
What’s worth more Our interior steelhead or people from another country buying roe?

Last edited:
Or maybe reach out to FN's to start talking about employing some sustainable selective fishing techniques, and then marketing those fish as a sustainable fishery product - green marketing. Selectively harvested fish using fish traps as opposed to nets. Weak stock fish could be harmlessly released to continue on their journey, and target species could be selectively harvested.

Even better would be to expand FN's involvement in the rec fishery - build sport fishing related business opportunities and a paradigm shift to help FN's see the opportunity for employment and business development within the rec fishery.

Side note, that one steelhead in the picture is very small (notice the photographer's boot and size compared to the Chums for scale) - that does not appear to be an Interior Fraser Steelhead. I would say its a summer run based on the size profile.

Last edited:
Every thing you mention local groups have tried to do with local First Nations over the last 20 years.

Their is just to many different bands with too many different agendas. Combined that with some of the poverty and drug additions some face and it’s very hard.

They can’t even agree among themselves on fishing plans or how to share the resource. Leave fish in the water and the next band up the river will break ranks and harvest the fish.

It’s a special gong show, it’s a shame it’s stilled out to effect ocean fisheries

Searun....you do understand that most of your bridge river and seton steelhead are that size. They are in even worse shape than the Thompson fish. The Thompson even has a component of fish that small, most would stage around the red rock area.
Have you personally seen a Nahatlatch, or any other stock of interior steelhead besides the Thompson firsthand? Even if it is a wild summer run...it’s ok to kill that wild coquihalla, Silverhope or spuzzum fish?
Are you some white knight for DFO and the lower mainland FN? People not around this this fishery need to wake up.
I would love to see integration within the sports community...some of the best guides on the coast are FN...however I don’t see that happening. Why would they want to stop their easy cash money.

Last edited:
Every thing you mention local groups have tried to do with local First Nations over the last 20 years.

Their is just to many different bands with too many different agendas. Combined that with some of the poverty and drug additions some face and it’s very hard.

They can’t even agree among themselves on fishing plans or how to share the resource. Leave fish in the water and the next band up the river will break ranks and harvest the fish.

It’s a special gong show, it’s a shame it’s stilled out to effect ocean fisheries

Sorry, I can't agree with that line of thinking - it is archaic IMO - these FN's fisheries are a right based fishery.

Tossing flaming arrows won't solve anything. Engaging in meaningful and respectful discussion to explore ways we can create win/win outcomes is a better way forward. Yes, it will take time to establish those connections, build trust. Its not going to happen overnight...and perhaps one of the reasons those "local groups" efforts have failed is because their approach is one based on wagging our fingers imposing our values and beliefs around the fishery.

And, I'm sure many FN's folks would agree that the individuals who are responsible for that waste captured in the pictures are practicing disgraceful fishing practices.

Searun....you do understand that most of your bridge river and seton steelhead are that size. They are in even worse shape than the Thompson fish. The Thompson even has a component of fish that small, most would stage around the red rock area.
Have you personally seen a Nahatlatch, or any other stock of interior steelhead besides the Thompson firsthand? Even if it is a wild summer run...it’s ok to kill that wild coquihalla, Silverhope or spuzzum fish?
Are you some white knight for DFO and the lower mainland FN? People not around this this fishery need to wake up.
I would love to see integration within the sports community...some of the best guides on the coast are FN...however I don’t see that happening. Why would they want to stop their easy cash money.

You bet, I have fished all those rivers for steelhead, with the exception of the Spuzzum. The Nahatlach being especially challenging - that is one tough river to fish. At what point was Coquihalla, Silverhope and Nahatlach considered IFS stocks? My point was simply that before we "label" that one steelhead as an IFS fish, take a closer look - its very unlikely based on size and shape to be a fish that originated from the Thompson for example. As a matter of fact, all we can really say is that is a steelhead...that was my point.

I know what you are saying Searun and this has been the general approach taken by many of the local groups( Fraser River Peacemakers, Fraser River Fishing Alliance, BC federation of drift fishermen ect...)

It blew up this year (this type of waste goes on every year) because it was still business as usual with the exception being the river was now closed to recreational fishing.

Like I said special gong show

Agree with you that some individuals are making this a gong show, but the rec community is no different..we have our bad actors also. I'm in no way condoning that behaviour. I think both communities have to find ways to work together towards something better. I believe you will start to see a shift in how these organizations approach the issue - the status quo ain't working!

The other info item that was shared with me recently is CSAS is conducting a peer review of a science advice paper on IFS Recovery and apparently (I haven't read it yet), there is little evidence these mixed stock fisheries are intercepting IFS to levels where that is the so called "smoking gun."

And before people jump on me, I need to be very clear that the paper is not yet peer reviewed, and I also haven't had the benefit of reading the scientific conclusions.

Its out there though, and we will eventually need to come to terms with it as it will form the scientific basis for the SARA Recovery Plan and process as we weave our way through that highly proscriptive (and legislated) mess. Pulling the trigger on initiating a SARA listing for IFS brings a whole new world of fun...hope people know what they signed up for.

Side note, that one steelhead in the picture is very small (notice the photographer's boot and size compared to the Chums for scale) - that does not appear to be an Interior Fraser Steelhead. I would say its a summer run based on the size profile.

Is this what one looks like?
upload_2018-10-25_12-41-30.png
44680964_1917272928579137_447473770483941376_n.jpg

So what are you really saying?
That trying to save the Thompson River Steelhead is really not worth the effort because it will effect our fishing?
That we should just forget about them as they will become to problematic?

As to peer reviewed papers. It will be all about who did the peer reviewing.
It has now seen shown that peer reviewing can be bought so now it will have to pass a lot more scrutiny.

Agree with you that some individuals are making this a gong show, but the rec community is no different..we have our bad actors also. I'm in no way condoning that behaviour. I think both communities have to find ways to work together towards something better. I believe you will start to see a shift in how these organizations approach the issue - the status quo ain't working!

The other info item that was shared with me recently is CSAS is conducting a peer review of a science advice paper on IFS Recovery and apparently (I haven't read it yet), there is little evidence these mixed stock fisheries are intercepting IFS to levels where that is the so called "smoking gun."

And before people jump on me, I need to be very clear that the paper is not yet peer reviewed, and I also haven't had the benefit of reading the scientific conclusions.

Its out there though, and we will eventually need to come to terms with it as it will form the scientific basis for the SARA Recovery Plan and process as we weave our way through that highly proscriptive (and legislated) mess. Pulling the trigger on initiating a SARA listing for IFS brings a whole new world of fun...hope people know what they signed up for.

Back