Anyone Installed Power Assist Hydraulic Pump

searun

Looking for feedback from anyone who has one of these units on their boat. Considering installing one to make steering easier. Couple of concerns/questions if anyone has a unit. First, how much power draw are these units pulling? Concerned that when trolling etc this may be too much power drain on batteries and hoping to hear if anyone has experience running one of these. Second, any installation tips or concerns??

http://teleflexmarine.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/seastar-power-assist.pdf

Voltage 12V or 24V (automatically recognized)
System Pressure 1000 psi MAX (1500 psi MAX Power Assist Pro)
Current Draw 40 A MAX, 60 A Peak (1 A System Electronics

i know some guys that use this with the auto pilot it works great and no problems with power consumption. Instillation looks simple the only thing if your going with the ebay one its says that its a 24V model i would make sure its the 12V auto detecting model. 24v would be useless to most of us.

I don't have any experience w the power assist sys - but, I did install just the power unit ( hyd pump only ) as a remote steering sys in the cockpit of my boat ( I had decided there was no acceptable spot for a second helm pump/steering wheel. For normal use the power draw is quite low.
I have found the unit will run on a 15amp fuse just fine, unless you stroke out the steering cyl and hold it there for a couple secs - then I'm sure you would need the higher size fuse in the factory specs. I left the smaller fuse in place as part of my 'poor man' pressure limit.
It's pretty quiet, but I would recommend installing in an enclosed space to muffle the sound if used all the time - and - you can count on several bleeding session before ALL the air is out.

oops - also, I found the tech folks in Richmond very helpful if your arrangement does not match exactly as the installation manual

Thanks for tips. I'll take a stab at getting one of these units. Getting tired of arm strong steering with the twins. Going to get help with the install and use one of the power bleeders to help address the issues you point out with bleeding the system.

Back