Anyone change form a soft top to hard top and regret it?

Tide Up

I'm walking circles on this one back and forth, cost vs benefit etc

As title states,anyone made the change and not liked or the opposite?

Had a soft top, now a hard top. Keeps me dry, warm, cool in the sun and doesn't rot out, grow mildew, rip or need replacing. Never go back to a soft top.

Hardtop all the way.

Had a soft top on previous boat and after we sold that boat I was adamant that the next boat was a hard top. The boat we bought was soft top originally and previous owner had custom aluminum hardtop put on. I would not have bought this boat if it was a soft top. I love the hard top, would never have a soft top again. Mainly because of mold, mildew and sun fading. I admit I am very particular on cleaning (my husband would say more like #$@& OCD) and that damn soft top drove me crazy trying to keep it looking good.

Changed from soft tops to hard tops on last 3 double eagles. Last and current one an 18.6, I built a custom welded aluminum one. Never regretted, warm, dry, no water jets on the lap from big waves, safer, roof has kyaks, traps, gear for those 2 week hunting/fishing trips. Will never have a soft top again. No difference in stability or wind.

HM

I installed a hardtop on my boat a few years back, took awhile to decide to make the switch as I really liked the sporty look of my boat with the top off. Top turned out great and don’t miss the canvas. Boat is warmer in winter, cooler in summer. Do it, you will not regret it

Soft top all the way. From the boat that I’ve ever had at least.
(Get the hard top)

Disclaimer: I’m a fair weather fisherman only. I like the soft top on my 17’ because at times I enjoy the convertible and wind blowing through my remaining sparse hair. Also with top down it fits in my Costco tarp shelter. That’s it for advantages .....

Good replies,thanks, and as I expected.Hard Top wins the day.

It's the boost I neededSo,now it's go time

If i wasn't thinking of retiring due to all the hurt coming i was going to convert mine to a hard top

If i wasn't thinking of retiring due to all the hurt coming i was going to convert mine to a hard top
Just my 2 cents worth. I recently sold my boat after owning it 22 years, 26 Hourston Sportfish ,it had a soft top which I replaced. I was considering changing it to a hard top as a couple of friends had the same boat with the hard top. I never did due to cost ,how ever I only had the top off a few times over the first few years and that was due to perfect weather. The rest of the time I did not . My point is depending on the size of the boat being small such as a mentioned above to create more room . If it is larger go the hard top as it is less maintenance, dryer and warmer in just about all conditions. I know I sound old but there are not many perfect days in regards to weather on the coast, either to hot ,or not hot enough or to windy or less not forget rain. I f cost doesn't matter , hard top all the way ….enjoy

When I was looking to purchase my boat I thought soft top was the way to go. But a good deal came up on the hardtop and I'm very happy with the hardtop.
More use of the boat, warmer,drier, and yet have never been too warm on the boat.
When it's warm , open the hatch and windows for airflow.
Keeps the wife happy as well!

Hard top is the way to go for sure. A word of advise don't buy a soft top boat and figure it's a good idea to add a custom hard top afterwards due to cost. I made that mistake and had a custom hard top made to the original factory specs same curves height etc on one of my boats. Hard top aluminum fab work came in at just over 10K then another 1800 bucks for the isinglass. I had them build with a little heavier gauge aluminum to prevent the possibility of fracturing over time, the fabrication work was first cabin through a well known fabrication company here on the island, I made sure to have top shelf isinglass as the quality of the end product to me is very important for looks and longevity, it looks factory and great on the boat the top does what it's supposed to, with that said had I have known what the out the door cost was going to be I would have spent a bit more when purchasing a boat to make sure there was already one on it. Yet another boat owner learning curve lol.

searay 01.jpg

Just my 2 cents worth. I recently sold my boat after owning it 22 years, 26 Hourston Sportfish ,it had a soft top which I replaced. I was considering changing it to a hard top as a couple of friends had the same boat with the hard top. I never did due to cost ,how ever I only had the top off a few times over the first few years and that was due to perfect weather. The rest of the time I did not . My point is depending on the size of the boat being small such as a mentioned above to create more room . If it is larger go the hard top as it is less maintenance, dryer and warmer in just about all conditions. I know I sound old but there are not many perfect days in regards to weather on the coast, either to hot ,or not hot enough or to windy or less not forget rain. I f cost doesn't matter , hard top all the way ….enjoy
I doubt I’ll change it now. I don’t Salmon fish in the winter any more and I have a good buddy that maintains my soft top

Good luck to the OP with your endeavor

Hardtop for sure for all the above reasons,unless your boat is under 18Ft. , lowering the soft top can open up a lot more usable space.I've built my own for a previous boat and can tell you it's an expensive proposition .If your going to add one make sure it's high enough,nothing worse than a low hardtop.

I guided out of an open console for years, and always thought I would have a hard time with a hard top.

Now I have a boat with the hard top, wont go back. Helps keep the helm protected and dry, blocks the pins and needles rain and cold wind gusts.

I think it depends of the length of your boat.
Take a 16 or 17' for example, most times you will fish with the top down.
A hardtop take up a lot of room, but is good for putting your net on.
Personal preference rules the day.

Back