Anybody use crimps for Salmon leaders?

I'm guessing you and your fellow guides are running bait the majority of the time. Flouro would not be my no 1 choice for running bait because of the stiffness and the cost. The line is expensive and 5-8 foot leaders are common. Dogfish chewing up your expensive bait is annoying enough, without getting flouro leaders chewed up as well. You can have a lot of junk fish hitting on and destroying your bait rigs at times. That is rarely an issue using Hoochies. I personally think flouro is perfectly suited to heavy test leaders for hoochies.

Most guides will also say they won't run spectra on their clients Salmon gear either. I love spetra on my Salmon reels, with a mono top shot. Spectra line has been around over 20 years, but it has only become mainstream for downrigger fishing around here in the last 5-7 years. I have been using spectra for my Salmon downrigger reels since it came out almost 25 years ago. Spectra is also replacing stainless cable on most downrigger drums as well these days. Flouro is no different, it will take a while before it is adopted by a large percentage of Salmon fishers. As the cost of Flouro drops, and the line technology keeps improving it will become far more mainstream for Salmon fishing around here as well. I may be an old dog, but I do pick up a few new tricks when the benefits are too obvious too ignore. I love my old gear, but I also love technological improvements. No one way is right in fishing, everyone does things differently. I'm sure most guides would drastically outfish me using their preferred bait rigs in there home waters. But every dog has his day, and my hoochy rigs caught lots of nice springs on my trip to Ukie this year. In the end I'm happy fishing the way I like to fish, regardless if it is the most consistent or deadly method.

I only kept one or two of the many Springs I caught on the west coast this summer. I always rig with only one single barbless hook on all my hoochiee rigs. I ran strictly hoochies while I was there, and did very well fishing that way. My main concern is being able to release my salmon quickly and safely, so I never rig tandems on hoochies. I rarely fish bait and if I do I still prefer to run strip with one barbless hook. Most guides main concern is to put big numbers on the deck for their paying clients. If guiding was my main source of income I would probably run exactly the same type of bait rig as the majority of guides do as well. Luckily for me that is not my concern, so I fish with gear that I enjoy running and relax while I wait to fool a fish with my artificial imitation. To each their own my friend.
I actually do run a lot of artificial gear. 60 lb mono leaders on hoochies with a single siwash hook and 40 lb on spoons as well as with bait.

I use spectra in my Hali/bottomfishing gear and still am a dinosaur running wire on my downriggers.

I don't get many dogfish trolling I guess I go too fast?

I actually do run a lot of artificial gear. 60 lb mono leaders on hoochies with a single siwash hook and 40 lb on spoons as well as with bait.

I use spectra in my Hali/bottomfishing gear and still am a dinosaur running wire on my downriggers.

I don't get many dogfish trolling I guess I go too fast?

Glad to hear you like to run artificials, the single hooks are far better for conservation of our Salmon stocks. Nice to see there are guides thinking that way. Vive la difference.

I use Fluoro and crimps for my Hoochie rigs.
50 or 60 lb Hi-Seas Quattro Fluoro
Jinkai aluminum crimps
Chafing Springs
Single size 5 or 6 Mustard 95170

We tie everything, all lures, downrigger braided line to swivels, heavy mono quick release lines. The heavy stuff just use a pair of pliers on the tail when tightening the knot. Never lets go :)

I use Fluoro and crimps for my Hoochie rigs.
50 or 60 lb Hi-Seas Quattro Fluoro
Jinkai aluminum crimps
Chafing Springs
Single size 5 or 6 Mustard 95170

Awesome; care to post a pic? Yes I know there are tons of YouTube videos, but it's all tarpon , red fish , shark or some other species I don't care about. Be cool to see some local stuff. Thanks!

Those look great, thanks for the post. I have a theory regarding hootchies. They require a-flasher or some type of " jughead" type attachment to impart action to the squid. In fact, you want that thing bouncing around behind the flasher as much as possible to entice a bite. My theory is that a crimped piece of fluro ( stiffer ) will have more action than a regular piece of mono leader tied off with a bead swivel. The bead swivel can and will release much of the " energy " and rotation imparted by the flasher,and won't necessarily translate as well, down the line to the hootchie. FA and I got into this years ago on the forum back when he posted. Anyways, it's something I'm gonna mess with now. Thanks again for the pics.

Those look great, thanks for the post. I have a theory regarding hootchies. They require a-flasher or some type of " jughead" type attachment to impart action to the squid. In fact, you want that thing bouncing around behind the flasher as much as possible to entice a bite. My theory is that a crimped piece of fluro ( stiffer ) will have more action than a regular piece of mono leader tied off with a bead swivel. The bead swivel can and will release much of the " energy " and rotation imparted by the flasher,and won't necessarily translate as well, down the line to the hootchie. FA and I got into this years ago on the forum back when he posted. Anyways, it's something I'm gonna mess with now. Thanks again for the pics.

Yes. Thats why I use stiff 50-60lb Fluoro. I like 37 inches from tip of the leader to the end of the hook on hootchie rigs. I mainly target deep water Chinook (280 ft) out of Westport WA with that rig. Single hook is also key.

That's a good crimping job.
I'm on my phone, so it's kind of hard to see your picture perfectly. It looks like you use chafing gear on only one end and no swivel on either end. Just curious why you rig that way. Sorry the post is directed towards cj6530

I only crimp my halibut leaders, but even a few of them I have tied, I much prefer a knot than a crimp, all my salmon gear and everything else is tied with knots. Just my opinion.

I'm on my phone, so it's kind of hard to see your picture perfectly. It looks like you use chafing gear on only one end and no swivel on either end. Just curious why you rig that way. Sorry the post is directed towards cj6530

I typically use chafing springs on both ends. I must have ran out on that rigging

I've been reading this forum with interest, l had my worst year with broken fluoro knots last year, no crap probably lost ~6-7 good springs last year (maybe more.... trying not to think about it too much). I switched to fluoro leaders ~4 years ago, previous years (before last yr) maybe 2 failed knots total. I'm going to try a couple different knots this year and I switched to 100% blue label Seaguar, I've been running various other slightly cheaper brands (e.g. Berkeley Vanish) so hoping I had a 'bad' batch. I generally run 30lb on spoons and 40lb on hootchies. If another bad year, I'm going back mono (min 40lb), previously if I lost a fish on mono it was usually my fault (e.g. rushed knot). Also, my previous knot of choice was the classic improved clinch but as some have indicated and from further reading its not the best fluoro knot. I know Seaguar website recommends the improved clinch but they must be smoking the same stuff that I had last year!

When this thread started up I thought I'd start stocking up on my crimping supplies. I usually crimp most of my Hali rigs and I may try rigging some hoochies this way as well. To rig Salmon hoochies in 50-60 pound flouro I figured I'd need to make a few changes. I don't like using the stainless springs for chafing gear, so I spent a lot of time looking for thinner size polyethylene tubing to use on the terminal loops instead of the springs. I found some 2 & 3 mm glow tubing on Amazon. CA. It was around $8 each for 12-15 feet of the glow tubing with free shipping. That stuff hasn't arrived yet, but it usually doesn't take long for Amazon orders to arrive. I already have crimpers, but they are getting old and rusty. I thought maybe I'd look for a cheap new set for home and keep the old ones on the boat. Ebay returned many hits for cheap Chinese knock offs crimping pliers exactly the same as Jinkai etc that sell here for $75 or more. Hard to believe but I ordered a set for $16 US with free shipping and they arrived in a week. I was skeptical of the quality for that price, but they actually seem to be very solid and I'm quite happy.

1485476063348853710797.jpg

I've still got to find some smaller size crimps and maybe I'll try a new brand of flouro in 60 pound test for my hoochy leaders. The glow crimp covers are also pretty handy to have and I really like using them, so I'll have to stock up on those as well. Should be an interesting test to see how it all works for Salmon hoochies.

Any one try teflon tubing for chafing gear. I've seen teflon tubing recommended on several American saltwater forums. Just curious if anyone has tried it up here. It comes in a lot of smaller sizes which is better for lighter test lines.

Back