Sizing for barrel crimps

sly_karma

Crew Member
I have an idea for rigging lures that would require crimped barrel connectors on the leader. Haven't found anything suitable in the Okanagan, so online I must go (and I have a few other items to buy besides crimps). I'd like to support site sponsors Pacific Net & Twine, but I don't see enough info on their website about sizing. Could anyone advise me which size would work on 30 lb fluorocarbon? Happy to try a couple of sizes, but there are six.

Only ever dealt with the Parksville store, but all great guys and service but I would just phone them and ask.

i personally went down the crimp rabbit hole and backed out hard after many many many many many many many salmon break offs. i was creating a loop with a bit of chafe gear that i would attach to the flasher but it didn’t seem to matter.

fluoro is hard as hell but i just think crimping the diameter of the smaller lines is no good. just my opinion.

try the jinkai website; is has a chart for crimp sizes and line diameters.

i now run 50 mono leaders with a mcmahon snap. fish don’t seem to care

i personally went down the crimp rabbit hole and backed out hard after many many many many many many many salmon break offs. i was creating a loop with a bit of chafe gear that i would attach to the flasher but it didn’t seem to matter.

fluoro is hard as hell but i just think crimping the diameter of the smaller lines is no good. just my opinion.

try the jinkai website; is has a chart for crimp sizes and line diameters.

i now run 50 mono leaders with a mcmahon snap. fish don’t seem to care
Will consider your comments on the crimp concept. Hard no to the McMahon snaps though.

I think all the crimps look the same and probably made in the same place. Hi seas has the same sizing chart as Jinkia. I wonder if you received a bad batch or maybe wrong crimper size. I have a cheap $35 crimper too and have hammered out close to 400 with the .8mm and around 100 with the .7mm crimps with no failures In 4 1/2 seasons. Yes I have had the leaders break but never the crimps fault even without chafe gear. Maybe I have been just lucky and keep my fingers crossed.

Back