And so it begins....

No pictures to update but I did get the quote for Vinyl wrapping the cabin exterior. The first quote had the roof of the cabin being done. I decided not to bother with that part since it maybe used for storage from time to time. Besides that it was a lot of money just to have the birds $hit all over it! Lol. Just waiting for the color choices to arrive and go from there. I might have to post the top 5 choices on here and do a poll.:)

I'm pondering the wrap solution too.
Looking at my hull and its seventeen years of experience, I will not wrap from the rub strake to the waterline.
I would avoid the roof too, lots of stuff gets slid up there when the back deck gets exciting.
Only the DFO plane looks at my roof!

Maybe I should put something on the roof for DFO to read? Lol. I’m on days off right now so I’m hoping to decide on color etc and get the ball rolling on it. They will do it right in the the builders shop so it saves a couple of trips for the boat. Pricing is kinda what I expected and paint for me wasn’t Really where I wanted to spend that much money. If for some reason it doesn’t last like they say I’ll bite the bullet and go the paint route. By then my wife will have forgotten what I already spent on the build...lol;)

It's been awhile but got some update pictures today. Lots of work has been done doing the finishing welding. He has also prepped for paint in the interior and Kiwi Grip on the floors. I'm going with Vinyl Wrap on the cabin exterior but haven't finalized the color yet. I think he did a great job on the welds and told be that he always takes his time on the rub rail since it's the first one everyone see's and comments on...lol

Attachments

• pic168.jpg
    pic168.jpg
    336.2 KB · Views: 241
  • pic174.jpg
    pic174.jpg
    325 KB · Views: 240
  • pic169.jpg
    pic169.jpg
    263.7 KB · Views: 238
  • pic175.jpg
    pic175.jpg
    289.9 KB · Views: 242
On the rub rail why is there a little different texture or something every foot or so?
Just curious as I don’t know aluminum welding

On the rub rail why is there a little different texture or something every foot or so?
Just curious as I don’t know aluminum welding

I'm not a welder either...lol I'm sure someone knows for sure but I believe they don't do extremely long welds for heat issues and keeping things from deforming. The texture changes are where the welds overlap and they just buff the high point off a bit making it smooth. It's less noticeable in person and really stands out now because it's pretty shiny.

I'm not a welder either...lol I'm sure someone knows for sure but I believe they don't do extremely long welds for heat issues and keeping things from deforming. The texture changes are where the welds overlap and they just buff the high point off a bit making it smooth. It's less noticeable in person and really stands out now because it's pretty shiny.

I have the same type of marks on the weld on my Eaglecraft. I asked them just now, thinking it was welding rod length, or welding rig temp constraint. Here's the response;

Q:
you know when they weld the side of the hull along the cap, and you can see about 10-12” or weld then a ‘stop’ then they go again another 10-12” and then another stop. Is that because the welding rod is only so long and they have to stop to reload the rod? Or is it the welding machine gets too hot so they have to stop?

My guess is welding rod length, unless it’s wire-fed then it would be heat related?

Answer:
Nope that has to do with how we weld our boats. Everything is tacked place first through out fabrication. Last step is to weld everything in place systematically. This reduces warping material and provides the most strength. You are seeing welds between large tack welds.

Hi-End Custom boats are built this way. Regular production boats are NOT built that way.. too much time.

Looks like you're getting a nice boat @ReelSlim

What a great forum for information. Thanks! I remember seeing the tack welds in previous pictures
I was thinking maybe it was as far as his arm could reach and then he had to stop and move forward.

What a great forum for information. Thanks! I remember seeing the tack welds in previous pictures
I was thinking maybe it was as far as his arm could reach and then he had to stop and move forward.

Totally agree with the great information on here. @BCI took it upon himself to find out and it’s not even his build. Thanks again to him for all of his suggestions as well and everyone else’s. There has been a lot of input on this thread and behind the scenes as well. Just a few more things to be welded like trays in the cockpit etc then the finishing work and rigging. I think I’m going to follow @ExFlyGuy lead and keep this thread alive until first fish on the deck. :)

Boat is looking great. Making good progress. Do you have a delivery date locked down? Who's installing the power?

Are you putting a step to get up on the walk around? Could use a grab rail or two on the back edge of the cabin for boarding and stability.

What are you doing for scotty mounts and gunnel rod holders?

Under gunnel shelf?

Boat is looking great. Making good progress. Do you have a delivery date locked down? Who's installing the power?

Are you putting a step to get up on the walk around? Could use a grab rail or two on the back edge of the cabin for boarding and stability.

What are you doing for scotty mounts and gunnel rod holders?

Under gunnel shelf?

Delivery date isn't locked down firm yet. The painting is all taking place next week. Then the Vinyl wrap is booked for March 6th I think. (Gloss Anthracite 3M 1080) My schedule is really full until the end of March and they may be waiting on me for a week or so. I bought the power from S&G in Victoria so they are rigging the 150's and I might do the 9.9.....not sure yet. There isn't any plan for a step at the moment and I have to admit I'm not a big fan of them. We'll see as I get older though...lol There is going to be a roof mounted grab rail for walking around but haven't decided on one for getting on and off yet. I see a few of his builds have done different things and even added after market ones. I might hold off until I get the boat for some of those things since it needs to be in the right spot. The jury is still out on the Scotty mounts. I'm more of a clean gunnel sort of guy. I might just mount the swivel bases direct or have a small bracket built. As far as additional rod holders go that will be something I do once I spend a bit of time on the boat. I have a good idea what I'm going to do but again until I'm standing on it it's hard to have someone else do it. There will also be 2 full length cockpit under gunnel shelves that are probably being installed today...one on each side and are almost 8' long. With 29" sides I thought the double would be too much. Again it could happen after a season on the boat. There is bound to be things that I add later or opted out of from the initial build. For most things the original build quote checked most of my wants knowing that I would customize it a bit more once I get it. Too truly check all of my boxes on my want list I would be building 3 boats and have to rob a bank or two...lol

Attachments

• 57248967105__129F77A0-E390-4343-BE1B-9D47E9521E9D.jpeg
    57248967105__129F77A0-E390-4343-BE1B-9D47E9521E9D.jpeg
    116.4 KB · Views: 159
Slim you really take good care of your hands.
Kidding aside nice colour choice No one else has. For now
They are pretty nice! lol There is one of his previous builds that had it on the hull but not the cabin. It shouldn't have too many twins out there I don't think? Still waiting for a quote for the name and a couple small graphics I'm thinking of adding as well.

They are pretty nice! lol There is one of his previous builds that had it on the hull but not the cabin. It shouldn't have too many twins out there I don't think? Still waiting for a quote for the name and a couple small graphics I'm thinking of adding as well.
I know one thing for sure.. my wallet would be REEEEELY SLIM after a build like this. Nice colour choice, Sir.

Back