Anbody fished Sooke?

we launched at sooke harbour marina, I didn't even know the trailer park had a launch(i'm fromm nanamio after all haha).

quote:
catch a 4 foot dog, gut and release.

Is there a good reason to gut or otherwise mutilate dogfish? I've always figured they're just part of the system, though they can sure be irritating when there's a lot of them around. I usually just switch to artificials and speed up, or move elsewhere when I run into them.

Paul

quote:
catch a 4 foot dog, gut and release.

Is there a good reason to gut or otherwise mutilate dogfish? I've always figured they're just part of the system, though they can sure be irritating when there's a lot of them around. I usually just switch to artificials and speed up, or move elsewhere when I run into them.

Paul

I kill them because the same one will come back and eat your bait again(this has happened when jigging and trolling). and seeing as there is a major chove. shortage i don't want my supply being gobbled.

I kill them because the same one will come back and eat your bait again(this has happened when jigging and trolling). and seeing as there is a major chove. shortage i don't want my supply being gobbled.

just curious...
after I have brined my anchovies (4 L of water 4 cups of salt 2 drops blue food colouring 1 cup milk powder) they are very bright and shiny, but don't appear atall dried out and stuff like when I used to just salt them? this is after a full day in the brine. should i take them out and salt them now to stiffen them up? or add more salt and let them soak? also can they be frozen again and still be used after being water brined? thanx (this water brining is more complicated then i thought)

just curious...
after I have brined my anchovies (4 L of water 4 cups of salt 2 drops blue food colouring 1 cup milk powder) they are very bright and shiny, but don't appear atall dried out and stuff like when I used to just salt them? this is after a full day in the brine. should i take them out and salt them now to stiffen them up? or add more salt and let them soak? also can they be frozen again and still be used after being water brined? thanx (this water brining is more complicated then i thought)

I personally add as much salt as the water will take i also start using salt water from the ocean.use omly coarse rock salt if you use table salt it has iodine in it and it "burns" the bait.
If you put your cooler in the freezer and it starts to freeze you need more salt or make sure the salt on the bottom you stir more to dissolve it up to 5 mins some times depending on the temp of the brine.
About every week i add more salt and stir up but i also fish almost every day roughly about every 10 packs of bait.
Good luck wolf

I personally add as much salt as the water will take i also start using salt water from the ocean.use omly coarse rock salt if you use table salt it has iodine in it and it "burns" the bait.
If you put your cooler in the freezer and it starts to freeze you need more salt or make sure the salt on the bottom you stir more to dissolve it up to 5 mins some times depending on the temp of the brine.
About every week i add more salt and stir up but i also fish almost every day roughly about every 10 packs of bait.
Good luck wolf

quote:
Good luck wolf

======================

I agree with you on saying "as much s it will take". It is a better test than just saying X amount of salt for Y amount of water. And, it works well regardless of whether you start with fresh water or ocean water. If you do use fresh water, it is good to boil it and cool it before you use it. That is to get away from the chlorine. Another thing I do different is that I use a few drops of the old fashioned "Blueing" that our grandmothers once used for whitening clothes. This is another "Brigntening" agent and I think it works better than blue food coloring. I haven't found that it makes any difference whether you use table salt, pickeling salt or rock salt. The key is, as you say Wolf, to avoid Iodized Salt. One sure way to avoid this is to use the Pickling Salt. It is always non-iodized.

A last note is to think a little bit about using scents. I have used a variety of scents: Shrimp, Prawn, Herring, Anchove, Anise Oil, etc.
Some like it and some dont. I am a big believer in scents. Not because I think it induces a strike, but because I think it is a good masking agent. I use surgical gloves but still like to mask my scent, one way or another. Sometimes I wash my hands in WD-40 and sometimes rub in some fish scent. Sometimes just scent the bait. But I usually do one or the other. You can always squirt some on individual baits before using them. That way you can try out several scents and you haven't made a committment to the entire day's supply.

Skip

quote:
Good luck wolf

======================

I agree with you on saying "as much s it will take". It is a better test than just saying X amount of salt for Y amount of water. And, it works well regardless of whether you start with fresh water or ocean water. If you do use fresh water, it is good to boil it and cool it before you use it. That is to get away from the chlorine. Another thing I do different is that I use a few drops of the old fashioned "Blueing" that our grandmothers once used for whitening clothes. This is another "Brigntening" agent and I think it works better than blue food coloring. I haven't found that it makes any difference whether you use table salt, pickeling salt or rock salt. The key is, as you say Wolf, to avoid Iodized Salt. One sure way to avoid this is to use the Pickling Salt. It is always non-iodized.

A last note is to think a little bit about using scents. I have used a variety of scents: Shrimp, Prawn, Herring, Anchove, Anise Oil, etc.
Some like it and some dont. I am a big believer in scents. Not because I think it induces a strike, but because I think it is a good masking agent. I use surgical gloves but still like to mask my scent, one way or another. Sometimes I wash my hands in WD-40 and sometimes rub in some fish scent. Sometimes just scent the bait. But I usually do one or the other. You can always squirt some on individual baits before using them. That way you can try out several scents and you haven't made a committment to the entire day's supply.

Skip

Funny how you say scents because i can tell you one thing with me using my brine over and over again it defanatly has a chovie smell to it but with the amount of salt and keeping it cold it doesnt go bad,but i sure wouldnt want to leave it in the boat for a week LOL LOL.Then i would have to change it all the time.
On another note went out today saw 2 fish caught I had 1 of them it seems they dont like these sw winds at all fishing is a bit tough right now keep you informed ill be out all week.
Wolf

Funny how you say scents because i can tell you one thing with me using my brine over and over again it defanatly has a chovie smell to it but with the amount of salt and keeping it cold it doesnt go bad,but i sure wouldnt want to leave it in the boat for a week LOL LOL.Then i would have to change it all the time.
On another note went out today saw 2 fish caught I had 1 of them it seems they dont like these sw winds at all fishing is a bit tough right now keep you informed ill be out all week.
Wolf

Wolf:

By the end of a week the bait usually smells better than we do, huh !! LOL

Skip

Wolf:

By the end of a week the bait usually smells better than we do, huh !! LOL

Skip

I was just on the fishbc forum reading some threads and coop(gary cooper) was posting on how he used big red hootchies at sooke and was catching springs? this seems a little strange to me. I do very very well at port alberni on springs, but I always thought that was more of an aggitating lure instead of something to imitate feed. any thoughts on this? he said he was imitating shrimp spawn?

I was just on the fishbc forum reading some threads and coop(gary cooper) was posting on how he used big red hootchies at sooke and was catching springs? this seems a little strange to me. I do very very well at port alberni on springs, but I always thought that was more of an aggitating lure instead of something to imitate feed. any thoughts on this? he said he was imitating shrimp spawn?

Well must have jinxed myself today lost my brine guest tipped it over reaching for rod oh well i guess it was time for new stuff LOL
The weather was a bit nasty today but we got some nice fish another charter boat and i did a group charter they went home with 9 springs the biggest was a 32 caught by the other guide there appers to be a new run of fish in they have lots of spots the only down side is there 10 to 15 lbs we couldnt keep them off we threw back 4 that were even smaller if they werent foul hooked, got the same crew on thursday im out again tommorow.
Wolf

Back