Aluminum Reel's..Islander, Trophy, RST etc...

Switched over to Avet MXL 5.8 , which took some getting used to after many years of knuckle busters.
It's loaded with 50lb braid and a 30' mono top shot.
when a fish run's at you there's no problem staying with it.
They are made in the U.S. and top notch quality.

The new(ish) Amundson TMX-5 reels with 7-layer drag have treated me really well so far. Such a pleasure to use these reels. Only had them half a season so I cant speak to their durability just yet, but Ive had no problems in terms of finicky drags, line creep, knobs popping off, etc.

Ive tried Islanders and Trophies and a few other aluminium knockoffs, and they all pale in comparison to the TMX-5. Spooled mine up with about 1100' of 40# mono and havent looked back since. Theyre also closer in price to a trophy than an islander.

Wildthing will surely agree, he owns about 30 of them!

Last edited:
Switched over to Avet MXL 5.8 , which took some getting used to after many years of knuckle busters.
It's loaded with 50lb braid and a 30' mono top shot.
when a fish run's at you there's no problem staying with it.
They are made in the U.S. and top notch quality.

I too am trying Avets for the same reason of faster retrieve and so far I think they are excellent and superb value for money. Same set-up 50lb braid and 20' 40lb mono leader.

At less than 1/2 the cost of an Islander, you wonder how they can produce them
with so many more working parts.

100% machined, Type 2 anodized, True-One piece aluminum frame.
- 8 stainless steel ball bearings.
- Stainless steel fasteners, springs, clips.
- Stronger design with larger line capacity in its class.
- All new revolutionary, extremely stable AveDrag drag washer with smooth control at all conditions.
- Proudly designed, machined and assembled in USA.

At less than 1/2 the cost of an Islander, you wonder how they can produce them
with so many more working parts.

100% machined, Type 2 anodized, True-One piece aluminum frame.
- 8 stainless steel ball bearings.
- Stainless steel fasteners, springs, clips.
- Stronger design with larger line capacity in its class.
- All new revolutionary, extremely stable AveDrag drag washer with smooth control at all conditions.

Most likely made offshore than assembled here. Remember you can cheat and say made in Canada or USA. You get parts made in Asia or Mexico and final assembly can be here. Most buyers are unaware of this. To pull a profit I completely understand why Islander reels are expensive especially with machining cost on island.

I'm a Longstone guy. Love them.

They'll never win a beauty contest but I will never change. Reliable, durable... and that sound they make.... :D

Would be the cats meow if someone could convince John Milner to make a disk drag mooching reel.

Avet Islander.jpg
Well here they are Avet SXJ5.3 and Islander MR3. I bought the Avet SXJ5.3 LHW last year for US$189 including shipping to Blaine. You can have four for the price of one and half Islander MR3! The SXJ5.3 has a slightly lower retrieve ratio than the MXL5.8 but is considerably smaller and still holds approximately 300 yards of 50lb braid (Power Pro Super 8).

For some reason photo keeps loading upside down. Peahead will correct.

View attachment 29584
Well here they are Avet SXJ5.3 and Islander MR3. I bought the Avet SXJ5.3 LHW last year for US$189 including shipping to Blaine. You can have four for the price of one and half Islander MR3! The SXJ5.3 has a slightly lower retrieve ratio than the MXL5.8 but is considerably smaller and still holds approximately 300 yards of 50lb braid (Power Pro Super 8).

For some reason photo keeps loading upside down. Peahead will correct.

Sorry couldn't locate this thread earlier this morning. Just saved here at work flipped it then posted ...viola

Avet Islander.jpg

You guys know your not suppose to crank any drag and make sure you back it off after every use also like a torque wrench lol Also islander is guaranteed for life and they mean it and only recommend once a year for maintenance.

You guys know your not suppose to crank any drag and make sure you back it off after every use also like a torque wrench lol Also islander is guaranteed for life and they mean it and only recommend once a year for maintenance.

Ah I don't think so. Islander's waranty is 2 years and their maintenance recommendations are far more onerous than that.

I'm a Longstone guy. Love them.

They'll never win a beauty contest but I will never change. Reliable, durable... and that sound they make.... :D
You must have changed your handles if you love that reel.

Strange i have never had a issue and was told lifetime , hope i didnt just jinx myself lol
Only Scotty has a lifetime warranty. I get my Islanders re built every winter to the tune of about $60 each

Back