aluminum boat painting

kunni

Ok, I recently bought a 11ft aluminum boat that needs a bit of love. It has paint peeling on the inside of the boat, but no paint on the outside. I would like to paint the inside how would I do this? I have been doing so research, and the suggest rustoleum, has anyone had any experience with this? Do i need to use a primer?

kunni

The key to painting isnt so much the paint, but more the prep, Make sure to scrape off all old paint, and make sure shes sparkly clean(power wash as a min)

I use a rustloeum water based primer and thats it. I dont paint over it unless im using a stencil for camo.. I ve painted a half dozen alum for duck hunting.

THis was my last rig, God i miss her

P1010304.jpg

P1010305.jpg

P1010505.jpg

P1010504.jpg

P1010503.jpg

I think you want to use a etching primer for aluminum, that's what I have been told.

Sand it,wash with wax and grease remover.Skip the etch and spray PPG's esu470 epoxy and then topcoat it with PPG's Dellfleet essential. With that epoxy you dont need etch,make sure you use a red scotch brite pad on all the surfaces just before you spray,aluminum has a way of "healing" itself if you have waited to long between the sanding and painting.All the products are availabe at Lordco

Sand, scrape whatever until it looks as good as it can. Vinegar wash, Crappy Tire aluminum primer and then topcoat with Rustoleum. Make sure your boat and shop are warm enough for the paint to work. Two seasons of use in salt water and it is holding up just fine. Did the stern only.

thanks for the help, I dont know when I am going to paint the boat, bt as soon as it warms up I will

kunni

you haven't painted your boat yet have you. I know it is still cold and wet out. I need to do mine as well. The red paint on the outside is all worn off and I want to touch it up with something new. need to know the steps to do this properly.

Rempy

Back