All Things COVID-19

Status
Not open for further replies.
But the AZ and J&J vaccines, and a few others for that matter, are just different applications of a system we've used for decades.

The only thing unusual about any traditional attenuated virus vaccine for c19 is that c19 itself is probably not entirely normal: I'd bet pretty much anything it's the result of gain of function research that escaped from a lab.

But even GoF research makes use of natural selection processes. It just speeds it up by orders of magnitude, and generates results we can't necessarily control.

But the viruses aren't anything unnatural. The only thing here that's really new is the mRNA vaccine development. It may turn out to be awesome and flawless and better than attenuated virus vaccines in every way but we don't really know what the results of it are twenty, thirty, or forty years down the road. It's probably nothing but it's new technology.

If you don't want to take the chance on new tech, the AZ vaccine is pretty old tech and the younger you are the more sense I think it makes to get that one.

Again if we start seeing reliable numbers showing bad c19 strains in kids, and the AZ doesn't prevent them,, you'd have to recalculate, but for the moment the odds that you'd be more at risk from the vaccines, and in particular the ones made in a way we've been doing for generations, than from covid, are pretty slim IMO.

If there's an actual argument against this I'm open to hearing it.

My mom is refusing the vaccine :rolleyes:. This is what sitting at a computer working from home all day does to you. The bloody news should be held more accountable for making the blood clot story a story at all.
You should always listen to your mom

Yeah she got the letter. We both are getting a shot on Monday.
If you don't mind me asking, is this for BC? I had recently read that AZ was not restricted for cancer patients within the recommended age group unless there were specific complications that came into play.

If you don't mind me asking, is this for BC? I had recently read that AZ was not restricted for cancer patients within the recommended age group unless there were specific complications that came into play.
Yeah we are in Nanaimo

Again if we start seeing reliable numbers showing bad c19 strains in kids, and the AZ doesn't prevent them,, you'd have to recalculate, but for the moment the odds that you'd be more at risk from the vaccines, and in particular the ones made in a way we've been doing for generations, than from covid, are pretty slim IMO.

In Canada, there have been approx 200,000 confirmed cases (obviously significantly more that weren't officially detected) in 20-29 year olds and only 38 deaths. Most (but not all) of these occurred in people with serious underlying health issues.

The risk of the life threatening blood clots from AZ is something like 10-20 out of a million which puts the risk of the vaccine on par with the risk of covid for this age cohort, if you are a healthy individual. I think the government has done the right thing discontinuing the shot for younger folks. Problem is, this is a complicated calculus and the average population isn't likely to look at it so analytically. Now no one wants AZ, even the older folk who are clearly much more at risk from covid than the vaccine.

In Canada, there have been approx 200,000 confirmed cases (obviously significantly more that weren't officially detected) in 20-29 year olds and only 38 deaths. Most (but not all) of these occurred in people with serious underlying health issues.

The risk of the life threatening blood clots from AZ is something like 10-20 out of a million which puts the risk of the vaccine on par with the risk of covid for this age cohort, if you are a healthy individual. I think the government has done the right thing discontinuing the shot for younger folks. Problem is, this is a complicated calculus and the average population isn't likely to look at it so analytically. Now no one wants AZ, even the older folk who are clearly much more at risk from covid than the vaccine.
This brings up an interesting topic of when the risk is the same for the individual, does the benefit to the community then outweigh the risk? Obviously everyone being vaccinated WILL save more lives in the end.

This brings up an interesting topic of when the risk is the same for the individual, does the benefit to the community then outweigh the risk? Obviously everyone being vaccinated WILL save more lives in the end.

Yep, just another layer to consider.

Was down to the First Nations Friendship Center for my first dose of the Moderna Vaccine on the bases that I had an at Extreme Medical Risk invitation. So I guess it will be later Aug before I get the second dose and wait time to be fully vacinated. Interesting that on the car radio they were talking about everyone young and old in Isreal is now fully vacinated and they are planning to book people again for a third time in June. I assume the third vaccine shot would be a booster shot developed to be more effective against the more dangerious variants.

Was down to the First Nations Friendship Center for my first dose of the Moderna Vaccine on the bases that I had an at Extreme Medical Risk invitation. So I guess it will be later Aug before I get the second dose and wait time to be fully vacinated. Interesting that on the car radio they were talking about everyone young and old in Isreal is now fully vacinated and they are planning to book people again for a third time in June. I assume the third vaccine shot would be a booster shot developed to be more effective against the more dangerious variants.
This finding might explain why Israel is considering booster shots for their population;
P.S. I have been first jabbed with Moderna as well.

I heard this also. Israel has already secured Pfizer shots that will be used to cover variants. It only takes a few weeks to update the vaccine to cover any variants.

Imagine that... So prepared they already have vaccine to cover anything in the future...

I heard this also. Israel has already secured Pfizer shots that will be used to cover variants. It only takes a few weeks to update the vaccine to cover any variants.

Imagine that... So prepared they already have vaccine to cover anything in the future...
Think they can make one to cure fishing fever?

Trying to book in Nanaimo. Government site is down. Phoned in, they can't book either. On waiting list for two separate Pharmacies over here. It seems that there are not enough vaccines available at the moment.

VANCOUVER -- The B.C. Centre for Disease Control added 30 more flights to its list of COVID-19 exposures on Wednesday and Thursday. A total of 59 flights have been added since Sunday.

The latest additions either took off from or landed at a B.C. airport between March 26 and April 5. All but one of them - 97 per cent - were domestic flights.

Details of the 30 most recent additions to the list follow.

Complete Coverage special promo image
COVID-19 in B.C.: Case update covering 3 days' worth of data coming from officials

Full coverage at CTVNews.ca/Coronavirus

B.C. professor to lead network aimed at helping Canada prepare for future pandemics

Coronavirus vaccine tracker: How many people in Canada have received shots?

Will B.C.'s COVID-19 'circuit-breaker' restrictions be extended beyond April 19?

Tracking every case of COVID-19 in Canada

COVID-19 cases detected at another ski resort in B.C.'s Interior

Get The COVID-19 Brief sent to your inbox

Early vaccines offered to Whistler residents in ski town hit hard by P.1 variant

B.C. sees uptick in COVID-19 flight exposures, 82 flights added in single week

North Vancouver trail remains popular and busy, despite being closed for more than a year

March 26: WestJet flight 126 from Vancouver to Calgary (rows one to five)
March 28: Air Canada flight 225 from Calgary to Vancouver (rows 23 to 29)
March 28: Air Canada/Jazz flight 8079 from Vancouver to Victoria (rows not reported)
March 29: WestJet flight 115 from Calgary to Vancouver (rows 19 to 23)
March 29: WestJet flight 3105 from Vancouver to Terrace (rows one to four)
March 30: WestJet flight 126 from Vancouver to Calgary (rows two to eight)
March 31: WestJet flight 301 from Montreal to Vancouver (rows 18 to 23)
March 31: Air Canada/Jazz flight 8182 from Fort St. John to Vancouver (rows six to 12)
April 1: Air Canada flight 212 from Vancouver to Calgary (rows 26 to 32)
April 1: Swoop flight 183 from Edmonton to Abbotsford (rows 18 to 24)
April 1: WestJet flight 126 from Vancouver to Calgary (rows eight to 14)
April 1: WestJet flight 320 from Vancouver to Edmonton (rows nine to 15 and unknown)
April 1: WestJet flight 4706 from Terrace to Vancouver (rows one to six)
April 1: Air Canada/Jazz flight 8064 from Victoria to Vancouver (rows eight to 14)
April 2: Air Canada flight 116 from Vancouver to Toronto (rows 19 to 25)
April 2: WestJet flight 141 from Edmonton to Vancouver (rows seven to 13)
April 2: Swoop flight 184 from Abbotsford to Edmonton (rows 23 to 29)
April 3: Air Canada flight 246 from Vancouver to Edmonton (rows one to three)
April 3: Air Canada flight 306 from Vancouver to Montreal (rows 23 to 29)
April 3: Harbour Air flight 1123 from Vancouver to Nanaimo (rows not reported)
April 4: Air Canada flight 212 from Vancouver to Calgary (rows 12 to 15)
April 4: Air India flight 185 from Delhi to Vancouver (rows not reported)
April 4: WestJet flight 164 from Vancouver to Edmonton (rows nine to 15)
April 4: Air Canada flight 127 from Toronto to Vancouver (rows not reported)
April 4: Harbour Air flight 1150 from Nanaimo to Vancouver (rows not reported)
April 4: WestJet flight 171 from Edmonton to Vancouver (rows one to five)
April 5: Air Canada flight 306 from Vancouver to Montreal (rows 19 to 28)
April 5: WestJet flight 126 from Vancouver to Calgary (rows one to four)
April 5: Air Canada flight 234 from Vancouver to Edmonton (rows 22 to 28)
April 5: WestJet flight 3312 from Kelowna to Edmonton (rows six to 12)
Anyone who was on any of the affected flights should self-monitor for symptoms of COVID-19, seeking testing and self-isolating if any develop, according to the BCCDC.

Passengers who were seated in the rows listed are considered to be at greater risk because of their proximity to a confirmed case of the coronavirus.

While international travellers are required to provide proof of a negative COVID-19 test before boarding a flight bound for Canada and to self-isolate for 14 days upon arrival, no such requirements exist for domestic travellers.

Health officials across the country have been advising against non-essential travel within Canada for months, however.

B.C. health authorities don't directly contact everyone who was on a flight with a confirmed case of COVID-19. Instead, notifications are posted on the BCCDC website.

1618244362434.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back